Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

The Run

"I need to run"
​I said hastily after I sat through my follow up appointment about my foot.

​The podiatrist looked at me like I was crazy.
"As a professional, I would say that is very unwise. The fracture is only a small bone in your foot I get that," he paused and looked at me "but besides the amount of pain you would be in,​​​​​​​​ you could risk injuring the foot even more. It is healing very well but I really strongly advise you not to run for another two or so weeks."

​"But, if I did choose to run now there is no guarantee that it would damage it even more?" I asked feeling the adrenaline build in my legs.
"Well no, but I really don't agre-"

​I politely interrupted him, "Well i appreciate the advice, but running is my life. I have barely been hanging on by a string these days and it is a lot cheaper than therapy" I said earning a light chuckle from him, "so let's hope the next time I see you, you're not telling me 'I told you so'."


​Before he could make me change my mind I was out of my seat, which he accepted and he smiled at me and left the room.

​I hurried out to my car and drove faster home than I ever have in my entire life.

​I ripped open the door thankful that no one was home seeing as how I had been avoiding my friends since the night I left Harry, a little over a week ago.

​I also have not seen or heard from Harry that night, which is no surprise.

​I began to get worried again after remembering how cold and dark his eyes had looked that night. They held such a familiar emptiness that I could only compare to Luke when he starts acting up.

​Luke.

​My stomach churned, and before I knew it I was racing towards the bathroom.

​I dry heaved into the white bowl and silently told myself that it was going to all be okay. Even though on the inside, deep down that it would not.

​I picked myself up off the cool tile and stared at myself in the mirror. I slowly removed my shirt to look at the bruises that were covering my arms in the shape of his fingers. I flinched as I ran my hand across them, and felt my eyes begin to burn.

​"No." I said out loud to nobody but myself. My sadness quickly evaporated into anger as I grabbed my running shoes out of my closet and laced them up.

​I took my iPod off of my bureau and put the head phones in, and with absolutely no desire to hear my own thoughts​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ turned the sound up to maximum volume.

​I stepped out of my house feeling empowered once again as I set out on the familiar route.


​Harry's P.O.V

​It had been more than a week since I had been entirely sober.
​I didn't care, but everyone else seemed to start thinking something was up.
​I laid another line out on the desk, and before I knew it the familiar rush hit my entire body at once.

​I don't know why I started doing this filthy habit but I do remember when.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​It was after an L.A. show one night, when I saw the brown haired beauty meet my eyes at some sleazy downtown club. The music was too loud, I was too drunk, and everything about her was wrong. She made her way over to me slowly and I watched every movement that her long legs made. She was hauntingly beautiful, the kind of beauty that could only lead to one thing.

​Before I knew it I was dragging her to the back of the club and running my hands up and down her tan legs. I remember how badly I wanted her, but before I could take it any further she pulled me away into the bathroom revealing a small plastic bag. I gladly accepted only thinking I'd do it once.

​I scuffed thinking about where I was, I in no way had a problem but there was definitely a large part of me that enjoyed it. I put everything away and went back into the living room where Zayn and Louis sat playing some video game.

​"We should go out" I said clapping my hands together.

​"It's only seven o' clock mate" Zayn looked at my raising an eyebrow.

​"Yeah, don't you think you wanna take the night of seeing as how it's been probably a week since you stayed home?" Louis said.
​I could feel a conversation starting, and wanted to take absolutely no part in especially since I knew it was about me.

​I inhaled and began to prepare a lie, "Yeah you know you're right, I'm just gonna go take a walk to the market then and come back, want anything?"

​They both offered an accusing no and then shared a glance before turning back to their game.

​I strolled across the living room and out the door, not wanting to waste any second of this high.

​I saw a girl run past me, and it was absolutely breath taking.

​Her form, the dedication written all over her face, and the way her feet seemed to float above the ground.
​Her long blonde hair flowed back and forth with every step she took and I felt my stomach flutter.

​At first I was confused as to why I had a feeling when I was just checking out some girl, but then I realized it wasn't just some girl. It was Briar.

​All the anger I had held against her had vanished the minute I stepped outside of her flat. I had been constantly thinking about her for the last week and the moment that I saw how pure and innocent she looked while running I immediately regretted what I had been doing since the night I had last seen her. She paused and hunched over at the end of the street and began to stretch, I saw her try to take off again but she began to limp.

​I had to go see her.

​Briar's P.O.V

​I had run ten miles, and my foot had been hurting for about 9.9 miles. Around mile 5 it began throbbing, and by mile 8 it was begging me to stop. I knew at this point if I continued I would probably be side lined for double the amount of time I was initially given so I stopped at the end of the street and felt my body slowly start to give on me. I began to stretch and thought that with the break and if I went the short way home I would be able to make it.

​With my second step I felt a sharp pain in my foot and knew that I was done for the night. I began to limp to the nearest shop so I would be able to call a cab home.

​I was just about to take a step as I felt a large hand wrap around my bicep. I let out a blood curdling scream and thrashed my arms about, to which my ear buds came flying out of my ears.

​Just as I went to punch my attacker I heard a familiar raspy voice call out "Oi! Briar it's just me!"

​I turned around to find an out of breath Harry behind me.

​"Jesus Styles" I said in between breaths, "were you following me?​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​" I asked looking him up and down. He looked like shit to put it nicely.

​"What? No I lived right over there" He said pointing across the street, "I saw you start limping as I was leaving and figured I'd come help you out." He said running his hands through his hair.

​I felt my cheeks heat up and realized how bitchy that probably came out as ,"I'm sorry. Thank you for coming over to check on me, I'm just a little on edge seeing as how I thought I was being kid napped." I playfully pushed on his shoulder.

​He smiled at me and offered a small laugh, " would you like a ride home? I was just about to go to the market and I already have a car waiting for me."

​I began to shake my head no but then my foot sent me another stabbing pain, "Yes actually, I'd appreciate that."

​He smirked, "Wow you must be in pain if I didn't even need to convince you."
​He offered out his hand and I gladly accepted again, leaning into him so he could help me walk across the street to his car.

​He opened the door for me and gently helped me into the car.
​A twinge of guilt shot through me seeing how nice Harry really was even after what had happened. Maybe I owed him some sort of explanation.

​He went around to the other side and got into the car. It was about a twenty minute drive from his house to mine and I was surprised by how close​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​ we had been to each other.
​​​​​​​​​
​​​​I opened my mouth to say something but Harry cut me off.
​"Listen Briar, I know we never classified what we were and maybe I should have. But I thought you genuinely liked me the way that I liked you. I'm sorry for reacting the way I did the other night and if after this you want to cut ties I'll let it be. I just won't be able to do that knowing I didn't try to work this out." He said quickly.

​"Harry, I do feel the same way about you. I just" I trailed off, thinking about how to word it.
​"My life is so complicated right now."

​"And mine isn't?" He laughed. "Look I don't need to know the things about your life​​​​​​​​​​​​ that you don't want me to know, I won't push it. Was the guy who called you the other night, your boyfriend?"
​I shook my head.
​"Okay, do I need to back off cause of this guy?"

​I shook my head again, this time it was my turn to speak.
​"Harry, I want to be with you but there are certain aspects of my life I just am not ready to talk about and I'm not sure when I will be. All I can do is tell you how I feel about you and go from there."

​"Good enough for me."
​Was all he said before crashed his lips onto mine.

​​​​​
​​​​​​​​​