Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Loss of Control

Harry looked up at me and closed his eyes as he rested his head on mine. A soft smile placed on his lips as he laid his head on top of my chest. My hands were in his soft brown curls, and I slowly ran my fingers through them as he hummed quietly to himself.

The kiss was as far as Harry and I got that night, him being the one insisting that we take it slow. There was no doubt in my mind that I had been previously wrong for shutting him out of my life, because this was exactly what I needed.

"When I saw you running, I thought I was looking at angel" Harry murmured sleepily.

I laughed at his comment and looked down at the beautiful boy in my arms, "Was that before or after I started hobbling around?"

He laughed back but then lifted his head, "Does it still hurt?" He asked with genuine concern in his voice.

I smiled to calm the concern lingering in the question, "There are somethings that are worth the pain they cause." I said closing my eyes contently not bothering to see his reaction, as I slowly felt myself getting more and more tired. I felt Harry shift and felt his arm reach out as he took a spot next to me.

I gladly rolled over so that my head was now resting on his strong tattooed chest, admiring the warmth I felt as he wrapped his arm around me. My eyelids grew heavier and heavier until eventually I gave in. I fell asleep feeling calmer than I had in a long time.

Harry's P.O.V

I stared down at the beautiful girl sleeping in my arms, her breathing was even and her facial expression soft.

A tinge of guilt shot through my body when I thought back to how my day had began. My high had worn off a long time ago, and was replaced with the nostalgic high I was now experiencing from Briar. As I watched her sleep, I knew I had to stop.

I had always known how stupid the path I was choosing to walk down was, but I never thought much of it. Always using the young and free excuse that had never been a good one. The girl in my arms was not worth losing due to a good time for a few hours, and I knew that if I continued I would have to face the boys at some point because there suspicion was growing stronger every day.

I closed my eyes and slowly fell into a dreamless sleep myself, I felt a smile tug at the corner of my lips as I drifted off and couldn't remember the last time I had fallen asleep like that. Happy.

Briar's P.O.V

Nights like that continued on for the next two weeks alternating between Harry and I's aparments. The days were filled with my school work and him with the band, I had even started a new training program. I started to run more by running less, starting with only a few miles I figured I would be able to slowly climb my way back up.

Life with Harry was easy, and fun. There were days when we would both find time for simple things like a movie or even just a walk around his block. I learned to appreciate these times, because they were far and inbetween due to his lifestyle.

I was happy.

My phone had not displayed his name on the caller Id for the full two weeks that I was with Harry, but the anxiety that crept through my stomach to my chest every time it did ring was growing with each call that passed that wasn't Luke.

Harry was getting ready to leave for a quick trip to Ireland with the rest of the boys to promote some sort of perfume they had just come out with, so I decided this would be the perfect time to go visit my Aunt, wanting to keep the promise I had made her nearly a month ago.

I got in my car to drive the hour trip when the lump in my stomach formed.
I thought nothing of the bad feeling and drove on in silence not knowing what was ahead of me.

As soon as I pulled up to the diner I knew something was wrong, there was cars in the parking lot but the restaurant was eerily quiet, in comparison to the dull murmur that was normally heard when you approached the building.

As I got closer I heard a voice that was shouting, but I couldn't make out words yet. My body froze in horror as my ears picked up on the familiar yelling.
"I just need some money!" He screamed, and I envisioned the vein that was probably beginning to show just above his left eyebrow. I knew his hands were probably gripping the sides of his head, while his gray eyes were wide and bright in contrast to his red fuming face.

I opened the door and panic rose to my chest as I saw the horrified look on Aunt Rosie's face as she was listening to his shouts. I shot her a look as if saying it would be okay. I would never let anything happen to hear even if I knew the out come for myself would not be good.

I slowly walked up behind him already knowing that no matter how I approached this situation it would not end well. I reached out my hand to cup his that was now pulling at the blonde hair that stuck out in every direction, "Luke" I softly began to say. I heard the loud crack before I felt it.

And then it hit me. I was on the ground clutching my left eye as pain shot through my entire skull. Aunt Rosie's shriek followed by, "someone call the police" snapped me out of my trance. I quickly picked myself and frantically reached for the boy who was now sobbing after he had realized what he had done and who he did it to. "No, no, no please it was an accident I'm okay. He didn't mean it. I can handle this, please don't" I was practically hysterical, Luke couldn't go away, I couldn't let that happen no matter how far away from me his mind really was. The people in the restaurant were on high alert and some had even gotten on their feet after they witnessed what had happened.

My Aunt Rosie looked at me sternly in the eyes and slowly put the phone down. "Briar, honey please you don't have to do this."

"Yes I do, please just let me take him home. He's my responsibility." I pleaded.

Another sigh escaped her lips, "fine. Go. But Briar you need to come back and have a serious conversation about this, you are not in control anymore."

I nodded my head, as I wrapped my arms around Luke and guided him out to the car. "It's okay love, I'm here now."

The drive back was silent except for the sniffle that would come from Luke's lips every so often. I drove the whole way with my hand on his knee trying to keep him close to me for every second that I could.
My mind flashed back to 11 months ago when his hollow, dull, face was smiling and bright. My heart shattered with the memory and I couldn't believe where I was bringing him.

I pulled up to the familiar gate and pressed the button below the sign that read Green Leaf Substance Abuse Treatment Facility.

I shut off my car and placed my face in my hands. I had felt as though someone hit me in the face with a metal baseball bat. I took deep breaths trying to calm myself and my heart rate before I looked in my rear view mirror. I immediately regretted it, my eye was completely swollen and the black and purple bruise was already forming itself across my entire cheek and eye. I sighed and got out of the car just wanting to get inside my house and relieve myself of this awful day.

My head was down as I made my way to the front steps, "Briar?" A familiar raspy voice rang through the darkness.

My head shot up before remembering that I could not let anybody see my face, especially not Harry.
It was too late.
"Oh my god."