Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Late

"You're what?"
He said his voice barely even above a whisper. His eyes darted around my face trying to read my expression.

"I have to, for the past year and a half I have been empty. Until I met you, but Harry I want to be whole again on my own. I cannot live life depending on you for my happiness. It's not healthy, you're my drug Harry and I need to get myself clean." I said looking down at the floor, knowing that if I looked up at his eyes I would forget everything and stay.

"What are you going to do in America?" He asked his voice was weak.

Knowing that I was causing him pain hurt my entire body, but this was just proof that we needed to rid ourselves of each other.
"I talked to my Aunt and also Luke, they're going to come back with me while I start training again. The marathon was something that I was doing for myself and I need that feeling back. You have your band, but I have nothing right now. I can't be that girl Harry, I'm sorry." I took his face in my hands and pulled him close to me as he silently cried into my neck. Tears now flowed freely from my own eyes.

"When do you leave?" he asked almost as if he didn't want to hear the answer.

I took a deep breath in, "next week, I got an offer to coach track at a small state school, a job I should have accepted a long time ago."

Harry exhaled, "Okay, I understand. I really do, but does this mean we can't be together for the next week and try something longer distance?" He asked his eyes pleading.

As much as I wanted to I couldn't.

"Harry, I'm sorry but I think this is what we need to do. What I need to do."

I looked at him one last time and started to walk away but his arm reached out and grabbed my hand pulling me back to him, without saying a word his lips crashed onto mine instantly finding harmony.

His strong arms grabbed at my waist easily lifting my small frame so that I was now off the ground. My legs wrapped around his torso, he carried us up the stairs without ever breaking the kiss.

Before I knew it I was tangled in a mess of Harry's legs and sheets. His shallow breathing telling me that he had finally fallen asleep. I carefully picked up my discarded clothing off the ground and made my way out of the house.

I felt my heart clench with every step I took, but I knew if I hesitated I would go back and never think twice.

*****************************************************

The days passed like years over the next week, because I hadn't heard from him once. Finally it was time to board the plane, I had already shipped most of our stuff back to the tiny house that awaited for us but Aunt Rosie and Luke were bringing the rest of their stuff on their flight two days from now.

I listened carefully to the instructions that the woman in the front of the cabin was saying, and I could already feel my hear rate increasing due to the adrenaline.

I clicked my seat belt together, and laid my head back against the seat. My eyes closed as we began to take off down the runway, and my mind slowly drifted away to the curly haired boy I was leaving behind.

I knew this was right, but why did it have to hurt so much?

I took a deep breath and allowed myself to somewhat relax when a terrifying thought entered my head;

I was late.