Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Three Years Later

Sweat dripped from my forehead, my shoulders ached from the sun exposure, and my legs felt as though they were about to fall off.

But I felt great. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and my feet rhythmically glided over the pavement.

It had been three years. Three whole years since I left. Three years without returning a single call or text message. Three years, and the ache in my heart still felt as though it had only been yesterday.

Life without Harry was tough, but only when I brought myself to think about it. Luke was finally clean and had been for 18 months, I couldn't ask for anything more.

I turned the final corner onto my quite suburban street and sprinted until I was hunched over in my driveway, struggling to catch my breath. I walked up to the front door and walked in headed for the fridge when a flash of chocolate brown curls was seen out of the corner of my eye.

I turned to inspect, but was hit hard in the legs ultimatley knocking me over,

"Mommy!"
a giggling beautiful little girl was on top of me now looking behind her at the culprit she was running from.

"What did I say about running in the house Luke?" I scolded my brother while simultaneously looking into the bright emerald eyes in front of me.

"She's just so cute, I couldn't say no.." Luke answered lowering his head sheepishly, and raising a hand to the back of his neck.

"She is quite the little creature huh?" I said reaching out my hands to tickle my beautiful girl.

Giggles erupted through the room and deep dimples set in her cheeks ,"stoppit mommy! I have to get dressed for school!" She screamed in between laughs.

I picked her up and set her on my hip, "You're right little bug, let's go get you changed and ready to go."

Her warms hands cupped my cheeks as she smiled back at me, warming my heart. There were no words to describe the love I felt for her, it was unexplainable. From the first kick, I was instantly and wholly captivated. She had barely any of my features,mostly made up of her father, and it was even more noticeable when she smiled.

I know I can't keep lying to her and keeping her a secret, but in my heart I know it is for the best.

I heard the phone ring from downstairs, and called out to Luke to answer it because I was too busy braiding hair.

"Yeah no of course, we can be there as early as friday." To this I walked over to the top of the stairs,

"And where will we be on Friday?" I called down to Luke who was now standing at the bottom.

"That was Aunt Rosie.." He dragged out the last part. She had stayed with us for a year until she had to go back to her husband, she had done enough for us I wouldn't let her risk her marriage for us too.

"Well is everything alright? Get on with it." I said growing impatient.

"She's been in an accident, she's alright, but she's having trouble keeping up with the restaurant. I figured since your contract at the school AND our lease is up we could go back..." Again drawing out the last part.

"Are you completely mad?" I semi yelled not wanting to raise my voice in front of my daughter.

"Briar. Come on, we are in such a good place right now and we owe that and this to Aunt Rosie. We can't not go." Luke was now the one scolding me.

Although my contract had been up and I was ready to move on to another stage of my life, I had someone else I now had to put before anything else.

"I can't just yank her out of school, take her away from all of her friends."

"Briar, I love you but she is three. And goes to school twice a week, what she needs is to be around her family. All of her family not just you and me anymore. There's nothing here left for us, it was great for a while but I know how much you miss being back there."

I contemplated what he was suggesting.

"You really think we can get packed and moved by Friday?" I asked hesitantly.

"Yes, I already have movers coming tomorrow to take away most of the stuff, and I already called the preschool."

I was completely shocked, "how long ago did her accident happen?" I asked skeptically.

"About a month ago." He answered.

"And how long have you been planning this?" I asked feeling the anger rise up in my cheeks.

"About a month.."

I sighed, "How'd you know I'd say yes?"

"Because I know you, and I also know that you would do absolutely anything for your family." He said looking directly at the girl sitting on my hip beaming up at me.

I smiled back down at her and closed my eyes as we rested our foreheads on one another.

I hope I was doing the right thing.

******************************************************

Harry's P. O. V

I sighed no longer interested in the clothing that was laid out infront of me,

"How much longer are we gonna be here Ken?" I called out to my girlfriend that was now in the same dressing room for an hour.

"Only one more outift I promise, then we can leave and do anything that you want!" A loud bang followed by an 'ow' rang through the large room.

I silently laughed to myself and smiled brightly as she appeared through the door in yet another designer dress, she was beautiful and she made me happy but still there was something missing in the happiness that she gave me.

"What about this one?" She asked looking at me with big brown eyes.

I stood up and twirled her around, "It is perfect." I answered honestly.

She kissed me on the cheek and walked back into the dressing room.

A hint of sadness washed over me as I found myself thinking back to the bright blue eyes that I used to get lost in.

I coughed and shook the thought out of my head as we made our way to the front of the store.

I had almost made it the whole day without thinking about her. Almost.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just a quick filler to keep you all updated on where I'm going with this story! Thank you for everyone still reading it makes me so happy to know that people are enjoying this!
xx