Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Emerson

"Please make sure that all of the meat gets unpacked and into the fridge within the next twenty minutes!" I called out to the boys in the back.

When I heard them all acknowledge what said I turned on my heel and walked to the front of the restaurant, with a smile on my face ready to greet the line of customers patiently waiting to be sat.

It had been a week since I had gotten back and three days since I took over the manager position. I was in way over my head and I knew it, but for some reason being back felt right. The familiar setting seemed to be just what I had needed. I loved the smell, mix of fresh ocean air and all the aromas that came from the kitchen, the atmosphere and most importantly the people. All the customers were familiar faces who seemed just as happy to see me as I was them. Again, it was right.

I was lost in conversation with Mr. Summers, who was telling me all about his grand kids' football game when I saw Luke walk through the door signaling that the lunch rush was over, as was my shift.

I politely wrapped up the conversation and greeted my baby brother as I adjusted his collar on his powder blue shirt.

"How was the drop off this morning?" I asked him swatting his fumbling hands away, and readjusting the collar myself.

"Fine, really. She handled it much better than I did!"

"Please tell me you didn't cry, she's been to preschool before it's nothing new!" I asked chuckling at how sensitive Luke was towards her. She had that sort of charm and control over everybody, me included.

"I did not cry! I just couldn't let go of her hand at first, it's okay though she talked me through it. Quite smart that one is. Must take after her Uncle Luke." He said winking at me as I made my way out of the restaurant and to my car.

I rolled my eyes and laughed as I got into my car, and pulled out of the parking lot eager to go pick up my little bug.

"Mom! Guess what!" I heard her little voice over the crowd of kids rushing out the front doors as I stood at the bottom of the steps.

"Hmmm, what?" I asked laughing as she reached me out of breath, and engulfed me in a huge hug.

"Thomas is sleeping over tonight!" She looked right up at me beaming.

"Honey, who is Thomas?" I asked, raising an eyebrow as she reached into her backpack.

"Thomas!" She said holding out the small turtle to me.

"Mom he's our pet, and Mrs. Angelo said he could come home with me today. Well I mean if it's okay. Pleeeeease."

I sighed, "Of course it's okay darling, let's get Thomas home I'm sure he's really excited to spend the night with us." I reached down and clasped our hands as we made our way across the street.

I buckled in her booster seat, and started the car before looking in my rear view mirror and silently admiring the small girl talking to the turtle that was now in a small glass tank that was also in her backpack.

My heart swelled as I pulled away from the curve and made the short drive back to our house.

I pulled in and helped her out of the car and grabbed Thomas as we made our way inside.

I turned on the lights and illuminated the small entrace way, crowded with boxes.

"Mommy, can I go show Thomas my room?"

"Yes, you can I'll be down here working on dinner!" I called to her as she was already making her way to her small room.

I opened the fridge wondering what I could possibly throw together, and decided on making chicken.

Halfway through making dinner I heard the scream,

"Mom!!!!!!"

I dropped everything in my hands and ran into the room, my heart beating hard in my chest.

"What! what is is?!" I yelled running over to her checking for any signs of injury, I looked into her green eyes that were now filled with tears.

"Thomas! I broke him look!" Horror written all over her small face, she pointed towards the small turtle that's head was no longer visible.

I released my breath and relaxed as I looked over at Thomas. "Honey he's just inside his shell, kind of like when you put your head under a blanket. See." I showed her as Thomas poked his head out then back in.

"Oh," she giggled. "You are sooo smart, Thomas you scared me don't do it again mister." She sternly pointed at him, I laughed and made my way back to the kitchen.

I was crouched behind the counter picking up the salad I had spilled when I heard Luke call out that he was home.

"Why are you so early?"

"Uncle Tom said he wanted to do the night shift, something about a delivery-where are you?" He looked around the room.

"Down here!" I called from the floor.

"What happened?" He asked laughing.

"There was a turtle emergency." I said nonchalantly as he bent down to help me.

"We have a turtle now?" He asked his eyes brightening up.

"Go." I said shaking my head.

"Thanks! Buggy let me see the turtle!" He called running into the other room. Such a child. But I was so happy to finally get my brother back, so I couldn't complain.

An hour later dinner was finally ready, and we all ate in comfortable silence. Then it was time for a movie, The Lion King as it was every night. And then bath, books, and bed. I tucked her in and kissed her soft forehead, and smiled before turning off the light and closing the door. She was fast asleep as I turned the corner and found Luke laying on the couch.

I sat down next to him and picked up my book.

"So you'll never guess who came into the restaurant today." I could hear something in his voice,

"Who?" I asked skeptically.

"Harry."

My eyes shot up in confusion, "What?"

"I know, and apparently it wasn't just a coincidence."

I looked at him to continue,

"According to Sue, you know the waitress with the blue hair and the -"

"On with it Luke"I said now growing impatient.

"Right, well apparently he's there every Friday around 6:00. Alone."

"When did you become such a gossip Luke?" I asked pretending not to care, when inside I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest.

"Briar, he didn't see me but I think you need to let him know you're back. You need to tell him everything Bri. I know you're doing a great job but that little girl needds her father, and it isn't fair to him."

I put my head down knowing he was right,

"But how? It's been like this for so long I don't know how to even go about telling her or him for that matter. They're both going to hate me."

"Hey look at me, you thought this was for the best. There is not one ounce of malice in you. That little girl will always think the world of you you could never do anything that will change her mind. He will come around, and if not we've done fine without him. But I do think he deserves to know."

Tears were now flowing from my eyes, I said nothing just leaned over and took Luke into my arms. Even though I was older, he was my rock and I owe him everything.

I got into bed and pulled out my phone, I dialed a number that I hadn't wrong in a long time and waited for the person to answer.

"Briar?" I heard the familiar voice on the other end.

"Yeah hi it's me I'm sorry to call so late I was just hoping we could meet up and talk maybe tomorrow?" I asked hopeful.

"God I haven't heard from you in a year, is everything alright?" his kind voice spoke through the phone.

"I know Louis I'm sorry, I've made some mistakes and I'm so sorry for not staying in touch but I just really need to talk to you. I'm back. For good. " A sniffle escaping my mouth.

"Wow um, yes of course, tomorrow at 3 work for you?"

"Actually would 4:00 be okay?" knowing there was a special someone that needed to be picked up at 3:30.

"Yes you can come over to my place, it's just me now." He said with a hint of sadness in his voice, making me feel terrible for not keeping in touch even after I knew that him and El had parted ways.

"Okay. Thank you Louis." I said genuinely.

I hung up the phone not knowing how to feel, I quietly crept out of my room and made my way to the sleeping girl's room next door. I opened the door and tip toed to her bed, laying next to her. She turned around and nuzzled her head into my chest instantly calming me down. I held on tight and felt myself drift off to sleep.

*******************************************************

My fingers nervously tapped the steering wheel as I turned into the familiar neighborhood.

I got out of the car, and noticed Louis was already sitting out on the front deck.

I made my way to the other side meeting him, and embracing him in a tight hug.

His hair was a lot longer since the last time I had seen him he also had a slight beard growing out, but his blue eyes still twinkled when they met mine.

"Let's go inside shall we?" He asked when we finally pulled away, but instead of following him I took a step back towards the car.

"There's actually someone I would like you to meet before we go inside." My voice shaking.

His expression was confused as I opened the door.

"This is Emerson..." I motioned to the sleeping girl in the car seat.

"My daughter."