Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

103

My mind froze as I looked up at the man in front of me. His face more tired than I remembered, but figured the three year gap was to blame.

His face must have mimicked mine as we both stood up silently gazing at one another.

"Are you back?" He asked breathlessly.

"Um yes, yeah I am. Luke and I." Was all that I could manage.

Why was he here?Why has he been coming here? What do I even say? My heart beat quickened as I realized how long we had probably been standing there. I could faintly hear the waves rolling in and out of the beach, and the light chatter coming from the restaurant behind me. It's funny how when you feel like your world has stopped, the real one continues as if nothing is wrong.

"I was going to call you, it's just been a tough move. A lot of work, you know?" I said not knowing how to explain without spilling my secret.

His face looked hurt but his voice hid it, "Yeah no I understand, if you're not terribly busy do you think maybe we could catch up or something tomorrow night?" He asked hopefully. His hands were in his tight pockets, and he stood staring at me waiting for an answer. His long hair was even longer now almost touching his shoulders.

"Yeah I think that I would be able to do that." I said quietly trying to work out in my mind who I could ask to babysit on such short notice.

"Brilliant, I'll see you tomorrow then?" My heart was still beating loudly in my ears as he gave me a time and an address to meet him at. I could barely even comprehend what was happening until I gave him a smile and excused myself to go back into the restaurant, while he still stood there. I wondered if he would follow me back inside, but as I reached the door I turned to see his car pull out of the parking lot.

The rest of the night seemed to pass in a blur and I could not wait to get home and see my love, knowing that as soon as I did all of my stress would become a distant memory.

I pulled into Louis's driveway about three hours later my head and feet aching. I quietly knocked on the door but was met with no response. I started to get nervous when Louis didn't pick up his phone and decided to just open the door myself.

When I walked in the only light was coming from the muted television and the sight I saw melted my heart. Louis was sprawled out on the floor covered in Emerson's stickers and dress up clothes while she silently slept on the couch above him a small smile plastered on her face.

I took a step forward trying to be as quiet as I could but I saw Louis's head shoot up and his eyes pry open.

"Oi Briar, you scared the bloody hell out of me." Louis said with his hand on his chest.

Emerson's little eyes now fluttered open, "Mommy!" she sang as she made her way off the couch and over to me.

"Do you like Uncle Louis's makeover?" I giggled and looked over at the confused man now standing up and looking at himself in the mirror in horror as he realized his appearance.

"She told me I was going to love it!" He said laughing.

We said our goodbyes and I thanked him again, to which he waved off.

The whole drive home I couldn't stop thinking about Harry and wondered if he was thinking about me.

**********************************************************************************

Thankfully Luke had agreed to babysit that night, but for now I was going to spend my morning and afternoon with Emmy.

I quickly dressed her in her favorite jumper as she hummed along to an unknown melody.

"Mommy what are we doing today?" she asked.

"Whatever you want! There's no school today and Mommy doesn't have to go into work so I figured we could do whatever you wanted." I smiled at her.

"Park?" was all she asked as her face lit up.

"Of cource bug, whatever you want."

We spent the day laughing and running and by the time we got back home Emmy had already fallen asleep in my arms, rightfully so since it was already so close to her bed time anyways. I dressed her in her pajamas as she struggled to keep her eyes open.

"I love you darling." I said as I quietly closed her door.

"Okay Luke she's already had dinner and she was pretty exhausted from being out with me all day so she should be out for the night, but if she wakes up she'll probably just ask for some juice or milk and then fall right back to sleep." I said as I changed in my closet.

"Briar I know, I live here too I know her almost as well as you do." He said from my head.

To this I stuck my head out of my closet to glare at him,

"I said almost!" He said laughing when he noticed my glare with a slight hint of jealousy.

"I know I'm sorry I still have that attachment problem with her, I can't seem to shake." I said now laughing myself at how ridiculous I was.

I stepped out of my closet in a simple cream turtleneck, with dark skinny jeans and brown boots on. I grabbed my vest off my char and looked at myself in the mirror.

"Why do you look so nice, where are you going tonight again?" Luke asked me.

I completely had been preoccupied and must have forgotten to tell him about my encounter with Harry.

"I'm meeting Harry." I said searching his face for a recation.

He had a small smile on his lips, "Finally." was all he said.

I gave him a knowing look and nodded my head as I left the room to gather my keys and purse.

I walked out of the house and into the slightly chilly early autumn night, and silently prayed that tonight would go as smoothly as I envisioned it going. My plan was to see how the night went and then maybe if the time was right I would tell him the truth.

Before I knew it I was at the restaurant and walking in through the door.

I gave the hostess my name and she blushed slightly when she saw who I was meeting.

Harry sat there at the table his eyes lighting up as I made my way over to him. He stood and greeted me with a small hug and then pulled my chair out for me. I forgot how nice it was to just be in the presence of him.

We ordered our drinks and as I looked at the dinner menu I felt his eyes on me. I looked up over my menu and gave him a questioning glance.

"I'm sorry I just can't believe you're back. I never thought that I would see you again." He said and I saw a hint of sadness pass through his eyes.

I dropped my menu to the table and reached out the grasp his hand, I ran my thumb over his knuckles, "I'm sorry." I said looking straight at him and I felt his release a small breath.

The mood lifted as soon as the bread was delivered and Harry and I quickly fell back into our old ways, him making stupid jokes and me uncontrollably laughing.

The atmosphere was light and I found myself not wanting to ruin his mood, but I knew that I had to tell him.

"Harry there's something I need to tell-" My sentence was cut short as I heard my phone's shrill ring cut through the air.

"I'm sorry it just might be important." I said and he nodded his head understanding.

My heart raced as I saw Luke's name flashing across the screen,

"Luke what's wrong?" I asked frantically, knowing that he wouldn't have called unless something bad has happened.

"It's Emmy her temperature is 103 I don't know what happened Briar she just woke up and started crying I have to take her to the hospital I don't know what to do." He said his voice steady even though I knew it was only to keep me from having a full blown panic attack.

"I'll meet you at the hospital." Was all that I could manage.

Harry's face was full of concern as I quickly got up from my seat and grabbed all of my stuff,
"Hospital? Is everything okay?"

I looked at him with tears in my eyes, "No. I have to go I'm sorry I have to." I said making my way to the door.

"Briar, wait!" he called to me as I jumped into my car and pulled out of the parking lot.

I reached the hospital and ran to the check in desk about 35 minutes later.

"Emerson where is she?" Was all that I could manage when I felt a strong hand on my shoulder.

I turned around to see a disheveled and confused Harry.

I turned back towards the woman as she gave me a room number and we took off in that direction.

"Briar please slow down and explain to me what's going on." He called to me through the hallway.

I reached the door, and made my way inside and saw Luke sitting next to Emerson who was fast asleep with tubes sticking out of her little arms.

"Bri it' okay it's just a flu, they said she's going to be fine." Luke said holding me in a tight embrace as tears streamed down my face.

Her little green eyes fluttered open," Mommy?" she asked but before I could answer we heard a gasp come from behind us.

My heart stopped as I turned around, "Did she just call you mommy?" his deep raspy voice echoed through the room.