Status: First Story

Running Through My Mind

Suprises

“You were in the neighborhood?” I half asked, half laughed.
“Yes, quite a lovely flat you got here!” he said obviously sensing my uncomfortableness with the idea that he was catching me off guard.
“Thank you, normally the laundry isn’t there I just didn’t think we’d be having any guests I’m sorry it’s such a mess.”
“I don’t mind I hadn’t even noticed, I was too busy staring at all of your books over there. A Gatsby fan you are? And Edgar Allen Poe?”
I relaxed as soon as he began to mention things I could actually talk to him about,
“Yeah actually, I’m a bit of a reader I guess. I’m studying in English down at the small university a couple streets over.” I replied.
Harry’s eyes shot up from the books he was gazing over, “You enjoy university?”

“Yeah I actually do, I’ve always been in love with school and reading and writing and now that I can mix the two I can’t seem to get enough.” Offering him a genuine smile.
“You keep surprising me every day Briar, and I was actually wondering if you’d like to continue surprising me tomorrow maybe over dinner?”
My heart beat picked up, was he asking me on a date? I thought to myself. Because I would absolutely love it…
“I’m not sure there’s anything left about me that’s even remotely interesting, but I would love to hear more about you so yeah absolutely I’d be happy to go to dinner with you.” I said not even caring if I had sounded too eager.

Harry’s eyes got even bigger and I could have sworn I saw a blush form on his cheeks adding some contrast to his perfect complexion.

“Wow alright yeah great um I’ll uh pick you up around 7 tomorrow night?”

“Sounds great” I encouraged.

“Lovely!” Harry got up to leave but hit his knee on the coffee table and then ended up tripping over mittens, our house pet.

“Wow could have sworn you were a dog person.”
“I guess I still have a few surprises left in me” I gave him a soft playful wink.
I watched him walk out the door and suddenly realized I didn’t take a liking to watching that boy walk away from me.
I felt as though I would throw up, and the anticipation of my date was far worse than the anxiety racing gave me.
What was this boy doing to me?

The next day was probably the slowest day of my life. It felt as though everything just piled onto my anxiety of my upcoming date.
I had absolutely no idea how I was supposed to dress for a date like this one, I figured since he hadn’t mentioned to dress nice that there would be no need to overdo it.
I was never one for a lot of makeup, so mascara and pale pink lip-gloss would have to do it for me.
I opted for a white low cut loose tank top tucked into a pair of light-wash high-waisted shorts and threw on a simple black blazer with a pair of sandals. My hair was always flat so I decided to tie it up in a knot.
Just as I clicking my watch into place there was a soft knock at the door I froze in spot and couldn’t believe that he was actually on time.
I took a deep breath to calm myself, before I could completely embarrass myself and him.
Grabbing my bag off my bureau I made sure to double check if I had my phone just in case He decided to call. I silently prayed that the phone would remain silent throughout the night.
I pulled open the door and held mittens back with my foot and invited him in while I made sure to give her some water before we left. I noticed that Harry had picked up the small cat and began making weird faces towards her and scratching behind her ears causing a soft purr to fill the room.
I laughed and he lifted his eyes to see me staring at him,
“You know I knew you had that effect on women but I didn’t think that animals were included in that category, is there any being that you can’t make swoon?”
To this he chuckled and gently let the cat down so she could find her bowl,
“you know funny you say that I have never been one with husbands they seem to get up tight about their wives wanting to come to our concerts more than their daughter.” He answered probably only half joking.
“I would never guess why, your favorite species is cougar am I right?

This time he let out a full laugh and I noticed the wrinkles that had formed on the side of his eyes that had given him an added sense of maturity which clashed in a perfect way with the youthful laugh that erupted from his lips, and came to the conclusion that it was one of the best sounds I have ever heard.
I laughed myself and let him lead me out the door with his strong hand placed on the small of my back and to his car all the while with Goosebumps covering my entire body.
“I like your house its very far away from anybody with a camera” he said as we walked down my front steps with the only noise coming from a few birds singing in a tree next to my building and the soft murmur of a piano coming from Mrs. George’s window from a few floors up.
“I believe that there’s probably three people on this entire street that is under the age of 65, you’re with one of them right now and her roommates are the other two. And I don’t even think we have one camera in our apartment that works anyways!”

We climbed into the car after Harry had circled the car to open my door for me and began to drive off down the humble street and made our way even further away from the city.
After a few moments of comfortable silence I opened my mouth to ask where we would be going and Harry must have sensed what I was about to ask and stopped me,
“No questions love, it’s my turn to surprise you.” Adding a devilish grin that could have stopped hearts.
And surprise me he did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to those who have subscribed it means a lot!
If there are any people out there who have read it and would like to offer up some feed back and also some constructive criticism it would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you
xx