Love for You

Chapter Two

Enough was enough for James. As the days got closer to Jackson's birthday, that was when he really started to feel that what Jo was doing to them wasn't right. He didn't care if he was the one that agreed to her decision, he was furious at his wife--if that's what she even was in their relationship. If she thought so, then surely she wasn't acting like a very good wife.

James didn't sign up to have his son ripped away from him by someone he vowed to spend the rest of his life with. What Jo was doing was not only jeopardizing their marriage but also his career. Ever since their separation, his team could see that his game was falling apart. He couldn't commit to his team when all he could think about was his own family. Every single day and night, he tried and tried to get ahold of Jo. He knew where she was but he couldn't just get up and leave when he had a game to play and bills to pay. They wouldn't have a game against the Kings or the Ducks for awhile and every day that goes by, he was starting to feel more and more hopeless.

When he got his phone out from his pocket to see who was calling him and saw that it was Jo, he nearly crushed the device in his hand, livid that after months of not picking up her damn phone or answering any of his messages now she had the nerve to call him.

He answered the call but said nothing, waiting to hear if it was really her calling.

"Say hello to daddy," he heard faintly in the background. He heard some ruffling on the other line before hearing the giggle that he missed so damn much. Suddenly, all the anger he felt just a few seconds ago disappeared. "Say 'hi daddy,'" he heard Jo instruct their son, who only laughed and made noises that only an infant could perfect.

He didn't mind spending five minutes or five hours hearing Jackson make random sounds with his mouth. James felt like it was the first time even hearing from him. When Jo figured that their son wasn't going to do anything but drool on her phone, she took a deep breath before finally talking to James.

"The baby is fine," she told him without him even asking. "He got sick a couple of days ago but nothing serious. He's been eating a lot which is good. He loves eating carrots and apples. He's an excellent sleeper too. I don't have much trouble sleeping because of that. When he's up, he plays a lot. I'm trying to get him to play with the peg puzzle you gave him but all he does is chew on it."

James laughed and imagined his son slobbering all over the wooden toys. "Did you take him to the doctor when he got sick? Did he have to take meds or anything?"

"I did. The doctor prescribed him some cough syrup for his colds. He started to feel better after a day. It wasn't a fever or anything. Maybe the weather here is just messing with his feelings a bit." Jo explained.

"How's the weather there? Is it still raining?" James asked. He had been checking the weather in Los Angeles every single day to see what they were dealing with. There was a thunderstorm a week ago and that was a day where James called Jo nonstop, worried out of his mind.

"It stopped raining," Jo said after peeking through the curtains again to check. "But it's still gloomy. It's getting a bit chilly too so Jackson hasn't had the time to just lounge in his diaper."

"When can I see him?" James questioned.

Jo closed her eyes and took another deep breath. That was exactly why she didn't want to call James because she knew where their conversation was headed.

"James...we've talked about this," Jo answered.

"We have?" James said sarcastically. "Last time I checked, we haven't talked in almost four months. So no, we haven't talked about this."

"James, please..." Jo pleaded. "I don't want to fight. I just called to let you know how Jackson is doing."

"And now I'm asking you when I could see him," he argued. "I deserve to spend time with him. He's my son too!"

Jo sighed, "Let's not fight OK? I don't have the energy for it right now."

"I don't want to see you, Johanna. I just want to see my son." James said angrily. At that point, he didn't give a flying fuck whether he hurt Jo's feelings or not. She clearly didn't care that she was hurting his feelings everyday by not giving him a sign that she was still alive, so why should he do the same?

"Goodbye, James." Jo hung up without giving him a chance to yell at her even more. Of course she was heartbroken at the fact that her own husband blatantly put it out there that he didn't even want to see her. She understood his own pain and disappointment at her decision but she never imagined that he would say such hurtful things to her.

Jackson squirmed around the crib, flapping his tiny legs against the baby mattress. Jo picked him up and rocked him back and forth.

"Daddy loves you very much and so does mommy," she cooed in his ear, his smile never fading. "Mommy and daddy will fix things OK? I promise you baby, everything will be alright again."

She held him close to her chest, kissing the top of his head, holding back the tears that she felt behind her eyelids.

"Everything will be alright again, baby, I promise." She repeated before putting him back in the crib and walked over to her bed to get some rest.

-

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!"

Jackson, on his mother's hip, squealed and clapped his little hands the same time that everyone did. Jo leaned down with the baby to blow out the "#1" candle on his bright green, present shaped cake topped with a bow. James started to cut the cake and handed it out individually on the cartoon monkey plates he had purchased hours before the party.

Jo's parents, as well as James', were present at Jackson's first birthday party. James' siblings were present with Mike being the most excited to see his nephew. Jo's brother, as expected, did not show up but Leanne and her husband came. James had also invited a few of his teammates to join the celebration while they could since they were playing against the Kings that night. Jo had to call up Edith as well because she knew her best friend would never miss her son's birthday.

After some convincing from her mother and a lot of thinking, she agreed to have a party for Jackson's first birthday. She agreed that families from both sides would attend and that James was given the green light to finally see his son after months of not being able to see his face. Though Jo was not completely thrilled with the set up, she put on the mask that she had perfected in the last year for the sake of her baby boy.

When it was time to open the presents, everyone gathered around Jo's parents' living room. Anna was the one that picked up every present and announced who it was from. The first one she picked up was a gift from Rich Clune. James gave his friend a look, seeing that Rich already had a smirk on his face. When Jo's mom got ready to hand it over to Jo, who had Jackson sitting on her lap, James reached over and grabbed the box himself.

He looked at Rich and asked, "Is what's inside this box appropriate for all ages?"

Confidently, his friend replied, "Of course. Very appropriate and beneficial."

With a quizzical look, James slowly handed it over to Jo who shared the same expression as her husband. She ripped the wrapping and opened the box to reveal a baby blue onesie that had the saying, "You think I'm handsome? You should see my uncle!"

Jo turned the onesie around to show everyone who, thankfully, found it as hilarious as she did.

"Ha ha, very funny," James mocked. "You do know you're technically not his uncle right?"

"I'm the unofficial uncle and I'll make sure to let the ladies know that when you let me hang out with your boy," Rich answered, earning another laugh from everyone.

Many presents were opened and the last one was James'. Everyone could already tell what he got Jackson by the shape of it covered in blue wrapping, so he had some explaining to do before opening it.

"I wasn't really sure what to get a one year old aside from books and toys," James looked over at the box filled with things such as books, more toys, diapers, and baby food, "so I figured I'd get him something he can enjoy a year or two from now."

He gave the nod to Jo, giving her the go to open rip the wrapping off the tricycle. Jo placed Jackson on top of the seat and crouched down so she could hold him in place. James crouched down as well so he could take a picture. Jo figured he would just take a photo of Jackson on the bike but when James told her to smile, she managed to force one out, being completely thrown off by his request.

"Let me take one of you three." Anna offered to which James quickly accepted before Jo could even object it.

He kneeled down on the other side of Jackson and held his back with one hand while his other hand held one of the handlebars.

"Say cheese!" Anna said before snapping the photo.

Once that was done, Jo quickly got up and took Jackson along with her. James stood up slowly and placed the tricycle next to the box of diapers and books he bought for the baby.

The rest of the day went by quickly. Before Jo knew it, everyone was saying their goodbyes to Jackson and wishing him a happy birthday. When James' family left, being the last guests at the party, Jo went upstairs to place her sleepy baby back in his crib. She headed downstairs shortly after to help clean up. She saw that James already had a head start, putting all Jackson's presents in one corner and grabbed the paper plates and cups to throw away.

"I can do that," Jo approached him, ready to grab the used plates in his hands.

"It's fine," James replied in a clipped tone, not looking at her once.

She moved around him so that he was forced to look at her and snatched the plates and cups out of his hand. "Don't be an asshole. I just want to help."

James didn't argue back. He just turned around and went to the kitchen to see if Anna needed help putting away some of the leftovers. When he saw that the kitchen was completely spotless with no one in sight, he turned around once again to go upstairs to see Jackson. As he headed out, he collided with Jo. All the trash that was in her hands had fallen onto the ground causing her to groan out loud.

"What the hell is your problem?" She said, annoyed at the fact that now she had more work to do than just simply throwing stuff away.

"What the hell is your problem?" He countered. Jo glared up at him and stood up, leaving the mess on the floor.

"You're my problem. I'm sure you know that by now." She retorted before turning around, not wanting to be in the same room as him any longer.

All it took was for James to grab her by the arm, preventing her from leaving, to make the tears start falling. James was confused, unsure why she had a sudden outburst. Without saying another word, he held her close to him, giving her the hug that he thought she desperately needed. He didn't see her cry that often but when he does, he immediately responds by holding her tightly and rubbing her back in comfort. It seemed to help in the past but not this time.

She wiggled in his arms, her fists pounding on his chest, tears streaming down her face with the sound of cries the only sound that could be heard.

James pulled away, holding her by her arms, "Jo, tell me what's wrong? Why are you crying?"

She shook her head violently and continued to hit him on his chest.

"Jo, stop it! Tell me right now why you're crying!" He demanded, afraid of what she might do next.

"I don't know!" She cried out. "I don't know what's wrong with me! It's you, it's me, it's the baby! It's everything!"

"The baby? What are you talking about? Jo, what's happening? I don't understand!" He yelled bewilderedly.

Her breathing started to slow down and her arms went limp on her sides. "I don't know what's wrong with me," she whispered. "I don't know what's wrong with me."
♠ ♠ ♠
Uh-oh. Another day, another struggle. Don't worry, just a couple of more to get through before things start to ease up.

I just want to thank everyone who recommend this story and all 50 of those who subscribed! I've never had that many subscribe after the first chapter and it just makes me even more excited for you all to see what's in store for the couple.

Thanks again everyone!