The Book of Me and You

I wanna cry and I wanna love but all my tears have been used up

“Mom! What’s going on?” Hayley ran towards her mother as she saw her pale silhouette in the hospital’s waiting room.

“No one knows yet, the doctors took him to an operation room and no one’s willing to tell me anything besides the usual ‘we’ll do our best crap’!” Hayley hugged her mom tightly and tried to swallow her tears. She had to be strong from her mother and for Kevin.

John stood behind them awkwardly since he wasn’t sure if he should leave or stay. As he looked around uncomfortably Hayley’s mom noticed his lanky figure.

“John! Oh my God it’s so good to see you!” She let go of Hayley and turned to John fully. “But what are you doing here?”

“Hey Gabrielle! I was with Hayley when you called so I gave her a ride.” He hugged her while searching for Hayley’s eyes but she was just staring at the door where the surgery of his brother took place.
“I love you so much!” He whispered into her ear as she laid her head in the crook of his neck and he draw small circles on her bare back.

“I love you, John.”

It was all so peaceful. They laid naked in his bed dreaming about their future together and feeling happier than ever. Hayley and John’s relationship was always complicated, but at the moment they’d just buried the hatchet after a big fight about something irrelevant. Ever since they made it official they were that couple who were either fighting or touching all the time. They were very passionate…like a soap opera as Halvo always said.

“I love this…”John said looking up to the ceiling with a smirk on his face.

“You love what?” Hayley asked now leaning on her palm to support her head and looked at John.

“Us…always fighting…then having the best sex ever. I could get used to it.”

“Yeah…maybe we should keep the fighting part to the minimum and just focus on the amazing sex.” She laughed and leaned closer to give him a sweet peck on the lips.

Hayley’s ringtone distracted them and she reached towards the bedside to pick up the phone.

“Hello?” she asked happily not knowing what her brother was about to say.

“Hayley! You have to come to the hospital! It’s Dad!” Dan cried into the phone with a panic ringing in his voice.

“What? What happened Dan?” She panicked immediately and jumped from John’s bed starting to get dressed. John knew something was wrong so he did the same with his clothes.

“He was feeling sick and passed out…he’s in the surgery, we know nothing more! Just hurry!” And with that he hung up.

“Oh my God. Oh…my…fucking…God.” Hayley was freaking out. Definitely not able to drive herself anywhere.

“Baby what’s going on? What happened?” John asked with worry in his voice, cupping her face with his hands.

“Can you take me to the hospital? My dad’s there.”

“Yeah. Of course.” He took her hands in his and led them out of the house into his car.

Nothing. It’s been hours and nothing happened. After calling Dan, who was already on his way, Gabrielle went on a coffee hunt while Hayley and John sat near the operation room waiting for something to happen. Not knowing was killing her. John haven’t let go of her hand for hours. He knew she was trying so hard not to break down in front of him. She always pretended to be strong. He tightened his grip on her hand a bit. John wanted her to know that he was there for her. Always.

“It’s feels like five years ago.” These were the first words she said after hours of silence.

“It’s not going to happen again.” He answered firmly. He couldn’t bear the thought of her going through that again.

“You don’t know that.”

“It’s different now.”

“It’s exactly the same, John.”

“Kevin’s not going to die. Okay?” He turned his body to get a better look at Hayley and leaned closer to her. “You’re not going to lose him.”

She found his hopeful eyes with her hopeless one’s and wiped the tears away. “I hope you’re right this time.”

John told the exact same words to her five years ago. She was barely 18 years old when her father passed away. A tumor in his brain won the fight and made a family mourn a great husband, friend and a wonderful father.

Hayley couldn’t get the image out of her head. It was the same scenario. Five years ago she was sitting in this room, tears in her eyes, Dan and Kevin lost in their thoughts, her mother a crying mess, distracting herself with finding shitty coffee…and John sitting close, holding her in his arms, whispering hopeful words. She was just hoping that this time the ending will be different.
Just when Gabrielle came back with Dan by her side, a doctor covered in blood appeared in front of the Johnson’s with an unreadable face.

“Relatives of Kevin Johnson?” He asked looking at all of them.

“Yes! He’s my son!” Gabrielle said, taking a step closer to the doctor.

“My name’s dr. Stevens, the operation was successful and Kevin is in a stable condition although he’s still unconscious. We’re going to take him to room 312; you can see him in a minute.”

“Thank you, dr. Stevens” Dan said and hugged his mother tightly.

Gabrielle and Dan stared to make their way towards “Kevin’s room” but stopped when saw that Hayley weren’t moving from the chair. John told them to go and they’ll follow them in a minute. He looked at Hayley catching her eyes. They were holding so much emotion.

John offered his hands to help her up which she accepted and stood up but didn’t make a move with her feet. She broke away from John’s grip only to put her hands on his shoulder as she stood on her tiptoe and leaned up to kiss him lightly on the mouth.

“Thank you.”

“For what?” He was holding her confused. Instead of answering she just smiled and let go of him. She walked away but John followed her before she could disappear and reached down to hold her hand again, his long fingers embracing her soft one’s.

“Always.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hayley's outfit.

Here's the little thingy I promised!
I'm kind of in the middle of travelling from one country to another, but hopefuly I'll be able to update in two weeks time.

Enjoy!