Status: Completed - Chapters uploaded weekly - Sequel in progress

Snake in the Grass

Chapter 4

Herbology was a bore, nothing I already knew. By the end of class I had earned Slytherin 50 points for answering most of the questions. The professor was shocked when I confirmed I was in Slytherin, not Ravenclaw. "Something must be wrong here," he said, rubbing his chin. "But the sorting hat hardly makes a mistake, so you must be a true Slytherin then."
At the end of class as I reached the door, someone tripped me, the contents of my bag clattering to the ground.
“Seriously?” I hiss, crawling to pick my things up.
“Actually, it’s just Sirius.” A voice above me said. I looked up to see the Marauders towering over me.
“Can’t you leave me alone?” I ask, putting all my books back into my bag.
“Where would be the fun in that?” They all snorted with laughter.
I place my things back in my bag and stand up. “You think it’s funny to bully people?” I ask them, reaching for my wand.
“Um... Yeah?” The boy with glasses said, as if I were stupid.
“Do you think it would be funny if someone bullied you?” I ask them, slowly drawing my wand in front of their faces.
“No.” He replied.
“Well, if you think that, how do you think the people you bully feel?” I say.
“Don’t care.” Sirius said, rolling his eyes and turning around to leave.
“Well maybe you need a taste of your own medicine.” I hiss, finally allowing my wand some real magic. “Stupefy!” I yell, sending the boys flying down the corridor. I turn on my heel and run, not wanting them to catch me.
Turning a corner, I come face to face with someone. Looking up, I have yet again run into Severus. I jump up, take a hold of his hand and drag him with me.
“Why are we running?” he asks as we turn a corner.
“I stunned the Marauders.” I said, running out of breath.
“What?” he gasped and stopped dead in his tracks.
“I thought they needed a taste of their own medicine.”
“'Bout time they did. And from a first year Slytherin? Sirius is going to be completely off the chain, you better watch out.”
I shrugged. I heard footsteps coming down the hall and suspected it were them. I looked at Severus who had a smile on his face.
“Where can we go?” I ask him, running in no general direction.
He thought for a moment, “This way.” He said, pulling me back the way we had just come.
“Where are we going?” I ask in panic.
“Somewhere they won’t find us.” He smiled.
He drags me down a deserted corridor and stops in the middle, in front of a wall. “Here we are.”
“Where?” I ask, and then a door carves itself into the blank wall.
I turn and look at him; he has a smile on his face. Out of no where a door has appeared and he does not blink an eye.
“Welcome to the Room of Requirement.” I look around in amazement. All of the walls were filled with books and on the ground stood so much, it looked like a hoarders' garage. In the middle of the room there was a large leather sofa with cushions of every colour. “Wow.” Was all that came from my lips. I walk over and run my fingers along the spines of the books. A mix of old and new leather bound books lined the shelves and the musty smell wafted from them.
“And she heads straight to the books.” He laughs. He's made himself comfortable on the sofa which makes me question if he comes here often.
I turn around and poke my tongue out at him which only makes him laugh harder.
I turn back and pick out a book on Potions. Flipping through it I find one that turns the drinker into stone and another that turns them to ash. I shudder and put the book away, although I do have to remember that one if I ever want to try it on Sirius.
“How long do we stay here?” I ask him, turning around and sitting on the couch.
“No idea.” He replies and shuffles through and old magazine.
I sigh and lean my head on his shoulder. He looks down at me and a small smile appears on his face.
“Penny for your thoughts?” I ask.
“Oh, um....” He looks away blushing.
I giggle and shake my head. “It can’t be that bad Sev.”
“It might sound weird but you’re the only other person I know who has done that.”
“Done what?”
“Put your head on my shoulder and smile.”
“Oh. Who else?” I ask, curiosity getting the better of me.
“Lily.” He says, his eyes lighting up and a smile gracing his face.
I then realize that there is no hope for me to get close to him, for he is in love with Lily.
“Why don’t you ask her out?” I ask, trying not to let the jealousy show.
“Ask who?”
“Lily. I know you like her.”
“How?” He asks bewildered, a shy smile creeping on his face.
“The way your eyes light up when you see her or her name is mentioned.” I tell him.
“Oh.” He muttered. At this point he's staring at the ground and shuffling his hands in his pockets.
“If you want, I can ask her for you.” I offer, seeing it is the only thing I can now do.
“No, I’m pretty sure she likes someone else.” He looked upset when he said this, like a piece of his heart broke right off.
“How do you know?”
“I just do. The joys of being in love with your best friend.” He says, sadness washing over his face.
We stayed there for what seemed forever, not talking, the silence filling the room. During that time we moved and I put my head on Sevs’ shoulder once again and fell asleep on him moments later.