Status: Completed - Chapters uploaded weekly - Sequel in progress

Snake in the Grass

Chapter 2

After we crossed the lake to the castle, we trudged up the stairs towards the great hall. Waiting at the top was Professor McGonnagall, "Welcome to Hogwarts. In a few moments you will pass through the doors and join your classmates, but before you take seats, you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Now, while you're here, your house will be like your family, your triumphs will earn you points, any rule breaking and you will lose points. At the end of the year, the house with the most points will be awarded the house cup. The sorting ceremony will begin momentarily." She turns on her heel and walks into the Great Hall.

All around me there are chatters of what houses they think they will be sorted into. "I know I'm going to be sorted into Slytherin, my whole family was!" "My mom said Hufflepuff is the best house to get sorted into, great witches and wizards always get sorted there!" Minutes pass then finally Professor McGonnagall returns, "We're ready for you now. Follow me." Once again, she turns on her heel, this time we follow. The doors of the Great Hall open before us and our breath is taken away. Somewhere in the crowd behind me, a small voice pipes up, "The ceiling isn't real you know. It's bewitched to look like the night sky. My brother told me." So that explains it, I think to myself. I look up and am amazed at what I see. There are constellations and galaxies floating above us; the sight is beautiful. I remind myself that I must ask for the enchantment so I can do the same for my room back home.

As we are walking to the front of the great hall I look around to all of the different table, it was really easy to tell which table belonged to what house. As we reach the platform where the lone hat sits perched on a single stool, professor McGonnagall turns and says, "Will you wait along here please? Now before we begin... Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." She turns around and a man with a long silver beard stands and greets everyone,
"Just remember, the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Disregard will result is detention. Thank you." He sits down again without further comments.

All eyes turn back to McGonnagall, "When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses." She picks up the hat and looks down at the scroll in her hand, "Lilac Dawson." A small, timid looking girl with short curly black hair creeps forward from the crowd. As I watch her struggle through the crowd I remember that she was the girl who was speaking highly of Ravenclaw. She walks up onto the platform and sits on the stool. McGonnagall places the hat on her head and suddenly, the hat springs to life and starts to talk, "Hmm... Right... Yes... Ok then.... Better be.... Ravenclaw!"
The table I assume to be Ravenclaw start cheering as Lilac makes her way to the table and takes her seat with her new family.
Minutes pass as others are sorted into their houses. Lastly I am called up to be sorted. I sigh and walk up the stool and sit, trying not to show my nerves. I know how important the sorting was to my mom, even if she didn't show it. McGonnagall places the hat on my head and it starts to talk. "Hmm a great mind with a love of books, defiantly from your mother. A kind heart that cares for others that is also mixed with the loyalty and bravery from your father, however, dark secrets keeps you from being who you are, and a hidden power lies just beyond your grasp. The question is where to put you? Let me see... Better be... Slytherin!"

The Slytherin table erupt with applause as I hop off the stool and make my way over. As I go to sit down a face catches my eye. I see Severus looking at me. The look in his eyes sends shivers down my spine. Not in fear but what, I don't know. I am so caught up in his eyes that when the contact is broken I realise that on the table a wide selection of food had appeared. I fill my plate and dig in.

After the feast was over, the prefects walked us to the Slytherin common room - located in the dungeons - And notified us of the password -pure blood (go figure) - we were then sent to our dorm and got ready for bed. Our bags were already waiting for us but instead of unpacking I threw my bag on the ground and fell onto the bed. After us girls had turned off the lights I lay my head on the pillow but sleep eluded me. The constant thought that deprived me of sleep was one of Severus Snape, the dark and mysterious 5th year that had invaded my heart.