Status: Completed - Chapters uploaded weekly - Sequel in progress

Snake in the Grass

Chapter 7

I opened my eyes to bright light. Once my eyes are adjusted I look around the room; next to me is Sev and at the foot of the bed are Professor Slughorn and Dumbledore. I try to sit up but I’m very weak. Sev notices what I’m doing and helps me sit up. “Thanks.” I croak. He smiles. “Maybe someone should get her a glass of water?” Dumbledore muses. Sev gets up and goes over to a tap and gets me one. He hands it to me and I down it within seconds, allowing the water to re-hydrate my mouth.“Thanks,” I say, my voice only slightly scratchy.
“How long have I been out?” I ask, still confused with everything that has happened.
“Just over four months,” Sev informs me.
“What!?” I gasp. I knew I had been out for a while but didn't expect it to be for over a week.
“It seems, the potion paralyzed you and put you into a deep coma,” Dumbledore said. "But Professor Slughorn put his mastered skills to the test and whipped up a quick potion to bring you back."
“Oh,” I mumble, my eyes dropping to the blanket draped over me.
“Well, now that you’re awake we shall let you catch up on what you've missed,” He said with a cheeky gleam in his eyes. He smiled and he and Slughorn trotted away.
Sev looks at me, “How do you feel?”
“A little out of it,” I reply. My back felt sore and I had a slight head ache but other than that I felt pretty good.
“Do you remember anything from your coma?” he wonders.
The truth: yes. I remember everything. But, I’m scared to tell Sev my true feelings about him so I lie.
“Not much, it’s so fuzzy. The one thing I remember well is that you were here all the time. You were always holding my hand,” I smile and so does he.
“I was scared that you weren't going to wake up. I sat here every day and night, hoping you would open your eyes.”
I smile at him and squeeze his hand. “When I was conscious I tried to do this, never knowing if I succeeded. I didn’t know if I was ever going to wake up or see you again,” I bite my lip realizing what I said and hoped it didn't give away too much.
“I’m glad you woke up. It’s been pretty dull without you around, and I really missed you.”
I smiled softly and looked into his eyes.
“So you remember nothing?”
I bite my lip, “Nothing.”
“Okay,” He says before he sighed and stared at his lap. He looked the same as he did the day he told me he was in love with Lily.
“I’m sorry. I wish I could.”
“Don’t worry about it Av. The main thing is that you’re alive.”
“Agreed,” I laugh and Sev joins in, “I wonder when I can get out of here.”
“I’ll go ask someone for you okay?” He gets up and searches for a healer.
While he is gone I contemplate what I have done. I have yet again denied myself love. For months he sat by my side, waiting for me. He tells me he loves me and I tell him I don’t remember. I do love him in return I just cannot afford to be hurt like I have been before. One day I might gain the courage to tell him, but not just yet. I hope, by then, it wouldn't be too late.