Tangled Heartstrings

World of Hearts

Ayla rushes home from the restaurant to prepare for her dinner with James. She runs through her front door knowing all of what she has to accomplish in the time she's given. Everything stacks up as she stares at the clock. Part of her panic is having no idea what to do first. Prioritizing she determines that getting out of her work clothes is a good place to start.

She bolts down to the end of the hallway and turns into her room. Her bed pops out with the frame leaning against the longest wall, at the foot of it is her rectangular laundry basket. She throws her outfit into the half-full pile. Lying in her dresser drawers are clean, folded clothes calling out her name. The selection's very diverse giving her a lot to choose from.

It's too cold for skirts with legging paired underneath, dresses, shorts, or tank tops. Yoga and sweatpants are a little too casual despite not knowing whether he extended a friendly invitation or a romantic one. Eliminating all of those she narrows it down to jeans, a dark, purple pair catches her eyes. She coordinates them with a long sleeve white t-shirt and a plain yellow scarf complimenting the violet perfectly. It's not a bad selection seeing as it's rushed.

Ayla glimpses upon her frizzy hair and heats up her hair straightener. As it's reaching a hotter temperature she brushes through the tangles created due to the wind. It may hurt but she removes them successfully. Her job payed off when she can glide the hair tool across the surface smoothly.

All of the components come together and sooner rather than later she's slipping on her knee high, fitted, grey boots and heading to James's place. She gets into her car and drives towards his house. Knowing that she's not late provides comfort. During the car ride she takes a deep breath clearing her head from her current mental state. By the time that she pulls up in the lane way she's looking forward to spending a night with her fellow Canadian.

"Be careful that you don't slip on that ice, it's practically everywhere." She hears a male voice warn her as she steps out of her vehicle. Taking his advice she shuffles over top of the frozen surface and up to his porch where he watches her carefully.

"Thanks, you saved me from a major wipeout. My boots have heels on the bottom so that would have been a disaster." Ayla announces avoiding an embarrassing moment.

"You don't have to thank me, Trust me when I say that you possibly injuring yourself is not something that I want to watch," He winces picturing the disaster occurring. Ouch! Fortunately he won't have to endure the struggle of watching that. Happy to see her make it safely he opens the front door so that she can slip through.

"I love your house!" She declares falling in love as soon as she steps on his welcome mat. "It's huge."

"If you think this is huge you should see Geno or Sid's place, now theirs are massive. Geno's was featured on NHL Cribs once." James mentions knowing how to navigate around the Russian's house better than his own.

"Geno, I heard the father of the little boy you gave an autograph to say his name, he's a friend of yours from hockey I take it?"

"Yep, he's my best friend on the team, I'm the closest with him and Paulie. I guess when you spend everyday with the same group of guys you get really tight. They're really cool though, they're my second family." He explains missing his friends slightly. To be honest he hasn't thought of them as much these past two days, deep down he feels guilty for forgetting about them.

"Yeah I guess you would be pretty close if you're around each other that much. Where were they the other night if you don't mind my asking? I don't remember them being with you."
"Oh they're in Sochi right now for the Olympics. Paulie's on the American team and Geno's playing for Russia. But enough about me, I want to get to know you." He states curiously dying to find out a little bit more about her. Getting tired of standing James leads her to his living room couch, sits down casually, and pats a spot moderately close.

"Well in that case there's a lot to cover. I was born in Vancouver, I grew up there and for the longest time was an only child until my mother had two twin boys. They're eleven years younger than me. Growing up with little brothers is annoying to say the least but I love them. Hmmm, I'm trying to get my degree in Photography while my friend Cassidy's who I've know since second grade is studying to be a web designer. And that's how I ended up here." She releases knowing that her personal description wasn't all that great. It's easier if someone's asking you a direct question about yourself but he left the field completely open for her to say whatever she wanted. Deciding what to tell people's hard.

"I didn't know you're in University, is that why you're waitressing? Photography seems interesting, it's harder than people think it is. I got asked to take photographs for my mom's birthday a couple of years ago. Long story short all of the pictures turned out blurry and she never asked me to do that again." James laughs adding a memory to his response. Thankfully his uncle knew what he was doing and managed to capture a couple of good shots.

"Bingo! I've got three years saved up and paid for. I just need to collect enough to cover my fourth year and I'll be good to go. Cass is lucky, her parents paid for all of her education. They're both doctors who receive a decent paycheck by the end of the week." Ayla acknowledges goosebumps forming on her arms for the split second that she has to observe her surroundings between the conversation shift. It's colder than she's used to inside his house.

"Is this your first year of University?"

"Yes it's my first year, I waited a little longer before going since I wasn't fully grown up and I didn't have the courage to leave my younger brothers. It sounds stupid I know." She blushes wondering why she told him that. Part of her wishes that she didn't wait so long before leaving to peruse her future.

"Nothing you say sounds stupid to me." He flirts knowing that he can't accuse his actions on being drunk, he's had nothing to drink today. It's a risk that he's willing to take. Besides, he can tell that she's comfortable with the compliment from her playfully giggling and cheeks going red. His dreams rise, maybe she does like him. "How old would that make you?"

"My birthday was last month actually, I turned twenty three. Deep down I still feel like I'm in high school goofing off, Peter Pan forgot to take me to Neverland with him where you never grow up so it looks like I'm stuck here."

"Hey growing up's overrated anyway." James pauses laughing at the joke she told. "I'm that way myself, I haven't grown up yet and I don't feel like I ever will. Did I mention that to this day I believe in Santa Clause?"

"No you haven't told me that. I've always been skeptical myself, how can a man eat that many cookies and possess the power to insert himself through a tiny chimney?" She counters keeping a serious face when he meets her eyes. "It defies the laws of physics."

"He only climbs down the chimney in the movies or books. In real life he's so magical that he can just teleport himself inside effortlessly. Or who knows, maybe he's a locksmith who posses the skill to break through any door that stands in his way. The point is that he exists."

"You make a valid argument there." Ayla states feeling a chill roll down her spine. It prickles the skin on her back and lifts up the hairs on her neck.

"It's too bad that more people don't see the logic in it." He sighs sounding depressed with every breath that he takes."Anyway speaking of cookies has made me really hungry. Are you ready to teach me all of your talents master chief?

"Well I can't teach you everything that I know, that would be years worth. I can start at the beginning and show you." Once again she shivers this time catching James's attention.

"That would be appreciated. Do you want a sweater? I can turn the heat up if you'd like." He offers taking off his grey sweater over his head and handing the clothing item to her. She takes it happily and embraces it's warmth. Oh, and the smell of James's cologne. Looking down to where the hemming of it reaches she realizes how tall the male is. Without her heels she's shorter in comparision. He's at least six foot one, possibly two and she's five foot six inches.

"Would it be weird if I say that it smells extremely good?"

"Nope, believe me I've heard a lot of odd things and that's not one of them. It's probably the axe cologne I spray everything with, I go crazy with that stuff. When we get into the kitchen and start using the oven I'm sure that you'll warm up." He re-assures her leading her there seeing as how she's never been in his house. With Geno and the guys it's different; they know where everything is and help themselves to whatever they want.

"Yeah hopefully you're right, I should be fine now with a sweater." She nods agreeing with him. "You won't be cold will you?"

"No I should be okay without it, I keep it colder in here since I'm used to the rink. You grow accustomed to it." He explains dragging down the sleeves of his dark purple dress shirt, at the top his collar is bunched up. Ayla directs her attention towards the error and fixes it so that it's folded around his neck properly. Something that she doesn't do it button up the top two holes which he intentionally left undone. She likes the way that his chest is presented.

Together the two make their meal knowing that the sooner they start, the sooner that they can eat. James mouth waters when his female counterpart reveals the ingredients from her grocery bag. To his pleasure they begin the process. She introduces each step and if he has any questions James interjects.

They create an amazing chicken Alfredo with broccoli, peas, roasted red pepper sauce, chicken, orange peppers, caramelized onions, and pasta of course. Anyone would die for the dish. Thankfully when they discussed ingredients neither of them were very picky and had preferences. The athlete likes lots of vegetables since he's healthy and the Vancouver native is so into cooking that she knows how vital it is to have a variety of toppings to make the dish pop. It turned out well.

After the meal's prepared and ready to be served she shows James the proper way to set a table. He never knew that the cup goes on the same side as both the knife and spoon. Poor fork! It's all alone on the right side with nothing beside it. If utensils had emotion it would be torn apart with lonliesness. Unless they're from Beauty and the Beast that is.

"Those onions made you cry." Ayla accuses him pushing for him to admit it.

"I'm a man, not a lot can make me shed a tear. Especially not a vegetable." He denies planting himself on a chair set at the dining room table. It's all set and ready to go. All the pair has to do is pour the drinks and dig in to their well deserved meal.

"All men cry regardless of how tough they are. Don't tell me that you've never cried!"

"Fine, I have a couple of times. I cried when I was a baby, when my mom thought I was too old for my hot wheels car collection and donated it, and when I watched the Notebook." He confesses holding his masculinity tight. Finally Ayla takes her seat across the table from James before responding. They're facing each other so that they're eyes meet.

"You've watched the Notebook?" She inquires getting a nod back from him. "It's a good movie, don't worry it made me ball my eyes out too."

"It tugs on your emotions! Now that were on the topic of emotions, drinking my nicely prepared coffee would make me really happy. Would you like anything to drink? Maybe a tea or I have a bottle of wine in my fridge. It's a nice white cross between Riesling and Pinot Grigio."

"I'd love a cup of wine" And with that James searches all of his shelves to attain the beverage. With it grasped in his hands he sets it on the table and pours it into a nice wine glass that he picked out. It's filled to the top with an inch to go until it overflows. In front of Nealer is a cup of steaming hot coffee that he set out alongside the plates. He placed it there in hopes that it's temperature would decline by the time the meal was ready. The outside is still burning hot. Regardless he picks it up by the handle and raises it in the air.

"Here's to having an awesome Valentines day with awesome company." Their glasses clink making the liquid on top bounce up to the rim but not out of the cup. Clutching their forks they both dig into what they created with smiles on their faces. It may have took a while but it was worth it. As each forkful is directed towards their throats they smile at the delightful flavour.

"For someone who claims to suck at cooking you did a fantastic job." She informs him meaning every word that's released. Across the table he shakes his head.

"Oh no, you were the first star of the dinner. If it weren't for you I would have messed something up. I guess I need you monitoring me."

"You'll get used to it and be able to do it on your own soon. For now I don't mind teaching you." She pauses figuring that it's as good a time as any to ask what she's been dying to know the answer to. "When you asked me to spend the night together, did you mean it as friends or did you have something else in mind?"

The words leave her lips and immediately James knows the information that she's seeking. Of course he likes her romantically! How could he not with her spirited, whimsical personality and astonishing looks? From the moment he laid his eyes upon her they've been drawn to her. Whenever he can he catches a glance, let's her speak to hear her relaxing tone, or simply thinks about her. She's addictive! Best of all, her laughter's contagious.

All in all it seemed like the winter break would be the worst experience of his life. Each day appeared to drag on as if it were a nightmare that would haunt him. His imagination deceived him. Having Ayla on his mind or being with her is the perfect way to spend his time. Thanks to her he isn't dreading his time away from the guys. The whole situation is unfamiliar and difficult. During the past two days his mindset seems to have changed, having someone to hang out is a new yet good experience. With her around he finally has someone to face his fears with instead of having to alone.

"You're too gorgeous of a person inside and out not to be attracted to Ayla. I'm sure that you've been told that before but it's something that you need to know." He reveals his secret. Nearly forty eight hours later and he's positive that he's falling for her. It seems like a short time to have your mind made up. With James, he trusts his gut more than he trusts anyone and when he feels something he's sure of it.

He may be confident in his own feelings but the woman across the table is a mystery to him in terms of what she's thinking. Maybe smiling as much as she has been is just who she is. Or there's the possibility that she could be blushing and giggly because she's sensing herself being pulled in the package deal that is James Neal. There's only one way to find out. "What about you, do you like me back?"
♠ ♠ ♠
And with that, the fourth chapter is complete. Let me know your thoughts and anything that you want to see happen/changed. Happy holidays to everyone!- As always thank you so much for reading :)
-LazyPens