Status: Merry Christmas, Noelle!

Reversis

| waters dark |

The yellow lights shimmered on the waters as the boat rode swiftly towards the port of Collioure. After a long plane ride, Isaac was unhappy to hear they had to take a boat to the port because there were no airports nearby and driving would take far too long in the back roads this time of year. Isaac wasn’t a fan of boats, especially at night. Everything seemed eerie – the waters dark and churning and the sky black with only the large moon and twinkling stars. And he just overall didn’t enjoy being on a boat. He felt trapped. And he didn’t like that.

“Isaac, I need you to do exactly as I say while we’re here. It’s not safe, like I said, so you need to stay by my side at all times and do not – I repeat do not – speak to anyone unless directly spoken to.” Chris said, looking him straight in the eye.

“Why is it so dangerous? Are there a lot of werewolf hunters here?”

“Not exactly, though there are hunters here. Where we’re going … There is a hierarchy of hunters. Werewolf hunters, like my family, are mid-rank. Vampire hunters are at the bottom. At the top, those are the demon hunters. They are very powerful and they essentially run things in the hunter world. The family we are going to see is at the very top of the chain. They were especially blessed eons and eons ago from the ancient goddess, Juno. They demand respect and won’t hesitate to kill you if you don’t give it to them.”

“I’m sorry, but they sound kind of horrible.”

“They are the absolute best. And what we are dealing with are demons – it’s their specialty. Besides, I’ve known them for a long time.”

“They’re going to kill me, aren’t they?”

“Not if you stay quiet and be polite. It helps that you’re with me.”

Both Chris and Isaac turned to the port as the boat docked, two large men tethering it and helping them with their bags. They climbed onto the wooden dock, Chris speaking fluent French to them. Isaac wished he had taken French instead of Spanish because he had absolutely no idea what he was saying. He did as he was told, though, and stayed completely quiet while handling his own bags and hung back. A few times one of the men glanced at him but Chris quickly drew his attention back and after about twenty minutes it seemed they were all right with him, guiding them off the docks to a nice town car.

“It’s late so we’ll go see them in the morning. There’s a bed and breakfast they are taking us to.” Chris explained, sensing Isaac was a little anxious. “You’re doing very well.”

“Thank you.”

They pulled up to the Hôtel Casa Païral which looked rather haunting in the dark. It looked like a very old building, Isaac was wondering when it had been built. It looked almost medieval, ivy creeping up the walls and the splashing of the fountain was both slightly scary but also kind of enchanting. A lone woman stood at the front desk, jumping and elbowing the wall when she saw Isaac. She started rattling off in French with her hands up until Chris quickly recovered and explained things – Isaac assumed – to her. She did not seem that eased, but she checked them in regardless.

They were given a room on the top floor in the attic with one large bed in the center of the room and one day bed in the window with the curtains drawn to see the city lit up at night. Isaac elected to take the window bed and dropped his bags beside it, collapsing. It had been a tiring day of travel and he had no idea how exhausting being afraid could actually be. Chris didn’t unpack his bags just dropped them like Isaac had and sat down on the bed, confirming a wakeup call in the morning.

“How do they know?”

“What?” Chris asked, setting down the phone.

“The people. They aren’t hunters, are they?”

“No, they aren’t. The people in this village and the one we will be going to tomorrow have a sense about things. The hunters have camped here for several centuries – since the Middle Ages. They understand there are things in the world that aren’t human. They have had their dealings with demons and wolves. They know to fear them.”

“The hunters have been here for that long?”

“Oh yes. This family we are going to see, the father is from the village and the mother is from Rome. She is a direct descendant of the blessed family forming one of the six original demon hunting clans. That is what led them to be in charge. They are one of the last of the ancient families. Most of the others have perished.”

“Are any of them left?”

“Only one other and they live in South America. You get some rest. Tomorrow will be another long day of you not speaking to anyone.” Chris smirked and laid in bed, stashing a gun on his nightstand. It didn’t take long for Isaac to succumb to sleep, despite the fears in his chest that this family would off him the second he stepped foot in their house.

The ride the following morning was absolutely beautiful. There were mountains in the distance as the sun rose, lighting the back roads to their destination. It had been a long time since Chris had been to the house but it looked just as he had remembered it standing tall, beautiful rustic stone and intricate balconies. Chris looked over to see Isaac slack-jawed, staring up at the chateau. Unless Valentina had drastically changed the last ten years, he was assuming the inside was completely different than the last time he had been there.

Isaac stood back as Chris knocked on the door. It was only a few moments before a butler was opening the door and ushering them into a beautifully decorated living room where a very attractive couple sat drinking coffee. The woman looked exactly as Isaac would have pictured one of the ancient Roman goddesses to look like. He couldn’t tell how tall she was from sitting down but her face was completely beautiful and regal with eyes that pierced him straight through his soul. The man looked just as prominent but lighter and a lot less intimidating. They both were dressed casually yet sophisticated.

“Francois, would you bring in two more cups please?” The woman said, the butler nodding his head simply and leaving the room. “Christopher, it is lovely to see you again. I was very sorry to hear of your wife’s untimely death.”

“Thank you, Praestus Chevalier.” Chris responded, waiting until she motioned to the empty couch for them to sit.

“Please, you know to call me Valentina.” She smiled but Isaac could see it didn’t reach her eyes. “We were discussing your ordeal not too long ago. Weren’t we, Gustav?”

“We were.” It was the first time he had spoken. Isaac didn’t know much but he could tell she was very Italian while he was incredibly French. He wondered how they had met. “You are lucky that we are so close, Christopher, otherwise we would not have been so lenient in your inaction.”

“I know. Thank you very much for being so understanding.”

“What has brought you back to Céret?”

“We have something peculiar happening back in Beacon Hills. A special kind of demon I’ve never encountered before.” The woman, Valentina, sat forward, very suddenly interested in the conversation. “I believe they are called Revenants?”

“That is peculiar. Gustav?”

“Oui.” He stood gracefully, passing by the butler with a tray of coffee and biscotti, and left the room.

“Have you seen them before?” Chris asked.

“No, we have never run across them. But, we have read about them rather extensively. They are very rare.” A noise stopped Valentina from continuing, a beautiful brunette girl entering the room from one of the many doors leading outside to a beautiful patio. She was mid-sip in a lovely white mug when she spotted them.

“Chris?” Her face lit up and approached them. “Allison est ici?” (Is Allison here?)

His face fell and he shook his head. “I’m sorry, Noelle. Allison has … she was … killed. By an Oni demon some months back.”

The beautiful girl, Noelle, saddened just as he finished speaking. “Oh mon Dieu. Je suis désolé, Chris.” (Oh my God. I’m so sorry, Chris)

“She’s actually why we’re here. It seems she has returned as a Revenant.”

Noelle paled, looking up as her father entered the room with a large leather book. “A Revenant? Are you certain?” Isaac was beginning to wonder if she spoke English. “The mark. Was there the mark of the Revenant on her hand?”

“We believe so.”

“The Cold Moon.” She whispered, looking to her father. “The Cold Moon. It was the other evening.”

“You are correct, Noelle.” He handed the book to Chris, opened to a certain page. “Is this what she appeared to be?” As Chris studied the book, he nodded. “Noelle, go and get Roux.”

She nodded and walked out of the room, not without glancing at Isaac first. When she came back another beautiful brunette was with her. Isaac was having issues remaining completely silent, though he was completely flushed. Surely these two gorgeous girls were not the intensely powerful hunters Chris had been talking about. They were too slender, too lovely.

“Both of you will pack your bags. You will be going to Beacon Hills with Chris and …”

All eyes shot to Isaac. “Oh. Um, Isaac. Sir.”

“Oui, father.” Roux looked to Isaac and then to Chris. “What has happened?”

“That is what you are going to find out.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I kind of forgot that I had some chapters already written. I'm really sorry for being so absent lately. Grad school is super mega kicking my butt. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, though. Thank you for being so patient with me!

If you would like, here are some pictures to accompany this chapter --
Hôtel Casa Païral
Their room
Ceret

Thanks for reading!
xoxo, Erin