Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 13

I was in therapy with Elias when there was commotion outside of his office and someone screaming. He was yelling at the doctors, and when I heard something break, I watched Elias rush to the door.

“What's going on?” he demanded, stepping into the hall. “Jesus Christ, did he just break that chair? Well, I don't care what you have to do, stop him!”

I turned my head, and caught sight of a boy with messy black hiair; his face was full of rage and he was still shouting, but he was looking directly at me. Then he stopped, his green eyes wide, and he actually looked ashamed.

Then one of the staff put a hand on the boys shoulder and steered him away from the door, and it was all over.

**


The next time I saw him was in the rec room later that afternoon. He was sitting on the couch with his legs pulled up underneath him, his eyes narrowed at the TV. When he threw the remote he held, it hit the floor with such force that it cracked.

I winced.

His eyes drifted to me standing there, and his posture stiffened. “The remote's broken,” he said, and shrugged. “Guess you'll have to get a new one.”

I stepped into the room. “I guess so.” Sitting as far away from him as possible, I said, “You're new here, aren't you?”

His lips twitched. “Obviously you know the answer to that. You saw me this morning.” He scratched the back of his neck and ran a hand through his hair. “I'm sorry about that by the way. I was just really angry. My mom ambushed me about coming here.”

“I think all parents do that,” I said. “I'm Veronica.”

“I'm Nick. So what are you here for?”

Looking over at him, I shook my head, laughing. “You don't waste any time getting to the point, do you? I'm here because I have issues.”

Nick smirked. “Of course you do.” He leaned in close, and I could smell the cologne he wore. “So, V, what's your damage?”

That was how it started.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next few chapters will be about Nick and Veronica's relationship and its progression.