Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 14

"As you know, Nick had a lot of issues," I said. "But you helped him through so much."

Veronica shifted and my gaze slid to the wolf necklace she wore. She smiled, but her blue eyes were still sad.

"He never told me what was wrong with him," she answered. "If I had known, could I have stopped it? Stopped him from doing what he did?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "He was too far gone when you met him, you know that. I know I shouldn't be speaking to you about him in this manner, but I need you to understand. There was no way you could have seen this coming. But I want to help you, and I will, in any way I can."

She was quiet. But she didn't say anything. Instead, she stood, her gaze on me, and her lips curved gently. She positioned herself in front of me and leaned against my desk. I knew that look she was giving me, and my stomach tightened.

I swallowed and said, “Veronica, don't.”

But her hands were reaching for me.

In my hair, on my shoulders, loosening my tie.

“I've missed you,” she whispered. “You were the only one who understood me, that's why we connected so well.”

Her lips along my ear sent a shiver through my body, and I hated myself for reacting to her. For crossing the line.

Again.