Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 22

He came in after Janna left. I wasn't expecting him. I tracked Elias as he sat down at the bar and ordered a scotch. Then I waited. Waited for the alcohol to really hit him before making my way over. When I approached him, he looked less than thrilled to see me.

“What are you doing here? You're underage,” he said, staring at me.

“I was meeting someone,” I lied. “And I'm not drinking, so it doesn't matter. What are you doing here? Bad day?”

He laughed. “You've got some nerve, Veronica. You're the reason Carly and I aren't together anymore, but I'm sure you know that. I'm sure you've been talking to her this entire time. Oh my God.” His tone turned hard. “Are you the reason she was with me, too? Did you pay her? Jesus Christ, you did, didn’t you?”

“I think you need to calm down,” I said, sliding my hand along the back of his neck. “You're upset, and drinking isn't going to help you, it's only going to make things worse.”

“Don't,” he snarled, his voice raspy, taking my hand off of him.

“I want to help,” I said, lowering my voice. “Please.”

Elias looked at me, and I thought he was going to accept my help. Instead, he said softly, harshly, “What I want is for you to get out of my life.”