Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 2

At the top of the stairs I opened the door and stepped into the small hallway that served as the waiting room. I turned to see Janna coming up behind me, her eyes taking in everything. When she smiled brightly, I relaxed.

“Do you like it?” she asked.

I looked at the white walls, the beige chairs and receptionist desk, and nodded. “It's nice. It's really nice. I don't know what I was expecting.”

“But it wasn't this,” she answered.

“But it wasn't this,” I agreed. I looked at the clipboard again, and ran a hand down my face. “What time is Veronica scheduled to come in?”

“Soon,” Janna said.

“Any others?”

“Not today. She asked to see you specifically, Elias.”

Of course she had. After I'd helped her with her boyfriend's death, she was never the same. Mainly because she attached herself to me in a very unhealthy way; she would leave me flowers and little handwritten notes. Everyone saw Veronica spiraling.

But she was blind to that fact.

“Did I ever tell you what happened with her?” I asked.

Janna shook her head. I opened my mouth to tell her the story. But I didn't even get to start before the stairwell door opened once more, revealing a girl with blond curly hair. She glanced at me, and her lips curved into a smile.

“Hello, Dr. Carter,” she said softly.

“Hello, Veronica,” I said, smiling.