Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 30

Elias spent three weeks in the hospital. When he was released, I offered that he stay at my apartment. He readily accepted. I was worried that Colin would have a problem with it, but he was more than willing to help him.

“He's been through a lot,” Colin said during dinner Tuesday night. He poured another glass of wine. “You're being a good friend by helping him recuperate here.”

“He's not safe as home,” I said. “He thinks Veronica is still out there. I do too.”

“She caused a lot of issues,” Colin remarked. “She could have killed Eli.”

“I think that was her intention,” I told him. “But she seemed genuinely surprised when he woke up.”

Colin frowned. “She's dangerous. The security should have taken her to the police instead of just escorting her out of the hospital.”

I took a bite of chicken and shook my head. “It doesn't make sense. Elias should have talked to the police, and they should have arrested her.”

“In order to make an arrest, the cops need proof,” Colin replied.

I smiled. “Then they'll get it.”

“What about Elias?”

“What about him?” I asked him. “He made a mistake back then.”

And he nearly paid with his life because of the second mistake.

“That doesn't make it any better.” Colin pushed his chair back and stood, collecting the plates and heading into the kitchen.

I followed him, and slid onto the counter as he put the dishes in the sink. “No, it doesn't.”

Colin slipped his arms around my waist. “We're going to help him, J. I promise. And then that psycho will be behind bars and she won't be able to hurt him again.”

I hoped he was right.