Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 33

Janna found me sitting at her kitchen table with an empty shot glass and a half-empty bottle of vodka. She sat down and reached over to grab my hand.

“Wow, you look like shit.”

“Thank you so much for your concern.”

“I would ask how it went, but I think I already know.” She frowned and squeezed my fingers. “Have you spoken to Carly since the hospital?”

“No.” I poured another shot. “I don't really want to either.”

“Maybe she could talk to Veronica for you,” Janna said.

I smiled. “Last time the two of them spoke, they ended up screwing with my life, although possibly unintentional on Carly's part.”

“She didn't know what would happen.”

Janna was right. No one knew how people would react to things such as rejection. Part of me wished I hadn't crossed any lines with Veronica the first time, otherwise none of this would have happened.

“This is my fault,” I said softly.

“It's not.” She shook her head. “You didn't know.”

“I knew about her before. I knew her history and her attachment to older men, and yet I slept with her anyway.”

Janna's grip loosened.

“You made a mistake, but I don't think you're the only person to ever do that.”

I glanced at her. “No, but I'm probably the only person to almost be killed for that mistake.”

“You should stop treating crazy patients then.”

Despite everything, I smiled.