Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 36

Janna's phone rang three times before I heard a click. I began to talk, but I was only halfway through my sentence when a voice interrupted me.

“I knew that would get your attention, darling,” she said softly. Then she chuckled, like we'd just shared some private joke. “Now please come home.”

I froze, my voice trembling as I said, “Veronica, what did you do to them?”

“Your friends? Oh, nothing too devastating. I was thinking about what you said, you know about my leaving town. And I don't like that idea so much, Eli. So I decided to stay here, and Janna was lovely enough to give me a place to stay.”

“Where is she?” I snapped. “Let me speak to her.”

“She's busy.”

Was she dead? My stomached rolled at the thought.

“Is she alive?” I whispered.

“Last time I checked,” Veronica answered. “But it's been over an hour and there was a lot of blood...”

I dragged a shaking hand down my face. “Listen to me. Please. What you're doing is wrong. Hurting them so that I'll talk to you.”

“They were in the way,” she replied angrily. “I told you that we were meant to be together. And you denied me. Now you're going to pay the price.”

I found myself listening to dead air.