Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 39

My eyes fell on the Veronica. Her blue eyes were narrowed, and the gun was trembling in her hand, because she didn't want to use it. I know she didn't.

I reached out and put a hand on her arm. I thought she was going to shoot me. But she didn't do that either.

Instead she shot Janna.

As Janna's body slammed back into the cushions, blood sprayed my face and clothes. She was looking at me, gasping, reaching. Terrified.

"Eli...as..."

I grasped her hand, but mine was too slick with her blood to hold it properly. She'd been shot in the spot below her heart, and she kept making this crying, wet, wheezing noise. And she was saying my name like a prayer.

I couldn't take my eyes off of her, because if I did, I would put a bullet in that bitch's brain. And I didn't want to become a killer.

"Janna." My voice was weak, anguished. I pressed my lips to hers, and they were still beneath mine.

"She was in the way," Veronica said from behind me.

I couldn't look at her. I didn't want to. Because all the blame was there. I had pulled her down a dark path. I was selfish. I was just as messed up as she was, if not more. I'd slept with a patient, and I was paying dearly for making her think I care for her when I didn't.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, standing up. "I ruined you, Veronica. I crossed a line when I knew I shouldn't have. I'm the reason you're broken and I am so sorry." To my surprise, she didn't move as I grabbed the gun. "It's time to stop now."
♠ ♠ ♠
The muse is back, woo.