Status: Complete as of October 29th, 2015.

Unstable

Chapter 7

I watched Elias' expression when he walked through the door; his face was somber, but I can see past what he shows to everyone else. His posture suggested he'd had a bad day, and when he tossed a bunch of files on the table with a soft growl, I frowned.

“Are you alright?” I asked.

He smiled, but it didn't reach his eyes. Putting a hand on the back of his neck, he shook his head. “Not at all. Do you remember that patient I told you about back at Ashcliffe – the one who lost her mom and who became infatuated with me?”

“Yes,” I answered, grabbing the bowl of string beans from the counter and placing them on the table. “Something you weren't really supposed to tell me, but go on. What about her?”

He got a glass of water and said, “She was my patient today. I haven't seen any of my former patients in months, and Janna said she was adamant about me being her doctor again.”

I sat down and passed him the small plate of chicken cutlets I'd made for dinner. “That sounds suspicious, considering your history with her. Are you okay with that?”

Elias shrugged. “What can I do? I don't want to send her away, I want to help her. After what she's been through–”

I cut him off with a wave of my fork. “After what she put you through, you don't owe her anything. Eli, she tried to get you fired. You remember that, don't you?”

“Of course,” he replied. “But they knew I never crossed the line with her.”

“It doesn't matter,” I said. “What matters is that she isn't stable.”

“Wasn't,” he corrected. “Past tense. She had some shitty things happen to her and she dealt with her feelings the only way she knew how.”

“By trying to kill herself and then turning around and attempting to seduce her psychiatrist? I can't believe we're having this conversation again.” I squeezed his fingers, my tone softening. “Look, I'm just worried about you. This took a lot out of you last time, I don't want that to happen again.”

“It won't,” he promised. “I know how to handle the situation this time.”

“There shouldn't be another situation like the one before.”

Elias put his hand on my cheek and stood, leaning over to kiss me lightly. “I appreciate that you worry about me, but it's not necessary.” He started to clean up. “Thank you for dinner.”

I watched him walk into the kitchen, but still wasn't at ease.