Victim

Chapter 3

"Ma'am I need you to calm down." An officer said.
Skye was freaking out. She was scared out of her mind. She still couldn't believe what had happened. She was angry that the police were taking their sweet time going to find David. She was pissed that they weren't listening to a word she said and that they kept telling her to calm down.
"They killed a man!" Skye shouted.
"The man who picked you up told us where you were. We have units on their way there now." The officer informed her.
"I'll take it from here Deputy." A man said as he walked over.
The officer nodded and walked away.
"Who are you?" Skye asked nervously.
The man sat down next to her. "I'm Detective Slade. I'm a special agent with the FBI."
"You're going to help me?"
He nodded. "I was assigned to your case as soon as the missing persons report on yourself and David came up."
"David did make it." Skye sighed.
"I know. We found his body. We'll be informing his family."
Skye looked away, trying not to cry.
"Skye we need to go over some things. First of all you have been missing for two days. And you're not in Arizona."
Skye's eyes bulged. "What?" she hadn't even noticed the name of the police department.
"You're in Texas."
She began to cry.
"The men that kidnapped you, they've done this before, we've been on their trail for a long time. You're the first to get away."
"They said they were going to find me. They know my name."
"Don't worry. We are going to put you into a witness protection program. You'll be safe."
Skye jumped up. "What about my mom? I have to take care of her."
"Skye relax. We will be keeping both of you safe. You're mother is in a safe house until we catch them. There she will have all the medication and help she needs. Right now you need to take care of yourself."
Skye was panicking.
"Skye the likely hood of them coming after you is very slim. You'll be safe, I promise."
She was shocked and scared. She had no idea what to say.
"We are going to do everything in our power to catch these men. The fact that you got away is going to help."
Skye nodded.
Detective Slade stood up. "Come on. We are staying at a hotel until we know where to place you."
"What about my stuff?"
"The benefit of witness protection, everything is paid for. You'll be getting a whole new wardrobe, completely free. But that's when you get there."
They got in his car. It was a nice black charger. It was undercover car.
"Oh we also found this." He said as he handed her her ipod.
Skye smiled. She needed her music now more than ever. "Thanks."
He nodded and pulled away from the police station. They rode in silence for most of the ride.
Skye noticed some other nice cars following behind them. More undercover agents she assumed.
"I wish I could have helped David." Skye said.
"Skye don't blame yourself okay. That's the most important thing that you don't want to do. It was out of your hands."
"I was right there. I had the knife in my hands. He told me to run and I just stood there and watched it happen. I didn't do anything."
"There was nothing you could have done. Them knowing you were there alone would have got him killed. It wasn't your fault."
Skye sighed. She couldn't get it out of her head. It just kept replaying over and over. The sound of the gunshot, the blood, the look on David's face when he told her to run.
"If you could go anywhere where would you go?" Slade asked her.
"In the states?"
"Sure."
"California. Or Seattle. I love the warmth of California but I love the Seattle rain."
He nodded. "That will help us find you a place."
"Wouldn't be better if I went somewhere international? I mean would they really go to the effort of following me?"
"It's possible they wouldn't. But unfortunately if we did go international you would not longer be under our jurisdiction."
Skye nodded.
Finally they made it to the hotel. It wasn't the nicest hotel but it was certainly better than staying in that busy loud police station. All the cars that were following them had parked in front of two rooms.
"So they are our back up. They'll be monitoring our rooms. Your room is that one, mine is right there if you need anything."
Skye nodded and headed to her room. She laid on the bed and stared at the ceiling. She really didn't want to be here. She didn't want to be in witness protection either. Skye had a hard time genuinely trusting people. How did she know she could trust these people?
Skye closed her eyes, hoping she could get some sleep. As soon as she closed her eyes she saw David, lifeless. She jumped up, knowing she wouldn't be able to fall asleep. She looked out the window at the men in their cars. Their were eight total. Two in each car.
Skye went to take a shower. She smelled, she was dirty and sweaty. The warm water helped her clear her head a bit. When she got out she heard a knock on her door. She looked through the peephole before opening the door. It wad Detective Slade.
"We found you a place. We leave in two hours." He informed her.
"Where?"
"California."
"How are we getting there?"
"Flying."
Skye's stomach dropped. She hated flying. She was terrified of heights.
"Can't we drive?"
Slade chuckled. "It's safer to fly, and we will be there sooner."
Skye had a small panic attack she she stepped onto the plane. She immediately sat in her seat and buckled her seat belt.
"How long is this flight?"
"Don't worry, just a couple hours." Slade said from next to her.
It was just them on the plane, no back up or other undercover cops. Slade would be dropping her off at the house then returning back to his office in Texas. Skye wished he would stay in California with her.
As it stood he was really the only person she knew she could trust.
"I'll be dropping you, after that they will help you get settled in." He explained.
"They?" Skye questioned worriedly.
"Yes. You'll be in a home with five other people. They are going to protect you. They've been doing this for two years and they haven't lost a single person." Slade explained.
"How do I know I can trust all of you?"
Slade chuckled. "Because you have no other choice."
"That doesn't reassure me." Skye sighed.
"I promise you, we are the good guys."
There was a car waiting for them outside the airport. They got in and Slade told the Driver the address.
Skye stared out the windows the whole way there. She had never actually been to California. She was enjoying the sights. The palm trees and the ocean. She thought it was all beautiful.
"Skye I want you to know that you will need to make a lot of changes. You'll need to possibly change your name, that's mostly if you plan on going out into public a lot. You're clothes, I would recommend something completely different from what you usually wear. Maybe change your hair."
Skye hated everything he was saying. She loved her band t's. All she wore was black and it had taken her forever to grow her hair out.
"I don't like change."
"You'll grow to like it when it turns out to be something that saves your life."
Skye sighed.
The driver turned into a drive way. Skye was surprised to see a large house behind a tall black gate. At the front of the gate there was two security posts with two security guards.
The gate opened and one of the guards waved them through. Skye noticed a pool in the backyard. That made her happy. She loved to swim. The outside of the house looked like it was three levels.
The inside of the house was actually two floors with an attic. The inside would be much larger however.
"Jesus it's huge." Skye said. "I love that there is a pool."
Slade smiled. "Here take this." He said as he handed her a cell phone. "It's brand new. It has my number in it. Don't use it to contact anyone except these men, and myself."
Skye nodded. "Men?"
"Yes. Five other men are in there waiting. They are going to keep you safe."
Skye didn't like the sound of this at all. She grew more and more uncomfortable.
They got out of the car and headed to the front door. It was a large dark brown door. Slade knocked and they stood there waiting for someone to answer.
Finally the door opened revealing a tall man with tattoos.
Skye's heart skipped a beat. She couldn't believe who she was looking at. Maybe she would like being here a lot more now that she knew who she would actually be staying with.
"Come on in." The man said and stepped aside.
Slade went inside with Skye in tow.
"Skye this is Matt-"
"I know." She cut him off. "Also known as M. Shadows."
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Hope you liked it.
Is there anything you'd like me to add to the story or something you really like about it? Leave me some feedback.
xoxo