Status: One-shot

The Old Man

The Old Man

One of the most terrifying moments of my life was in the summer of 09. My mother had visited me, and it was the day I had to drive her back to her own house. It was late at night, we had decided to watch a movie before she left, and I didn't like driving in the dark.

It was about eleven o'clock before I left with my mother to drive back to her house. She had church in the morning and she was going to have to do a reading, so I had to make sure she got back home. The drive takes four hours altogether, two hours to get there, and two hours to drive back to my own home.

I wasn't looking forward to the fact that I would probably be getting home around three in the morning, but I couldn't stay at my mom's house because of work. So I was pretty much screwed and I knew that in the morning I'd be tired.

In the car ride, I was very tired. It had been kind of a hectic day, and I guess it was my fault anyways; I was the one who wanted to watch the movie. "Are you alright?" my mom asked.

"Don't worry, I'm good, I'm just a little tired, you know?" I replied, blinking a few times to try to wake myself up a bit.

She didn't speak to me again for the rest of the two hours. When I finally arrived at her home, I wanted to crash so bad but I knew I couldn't. I kissed my mother goodbye and went back to my car to try to get home as fast as possible.

About an hour after I left my mother's house, my gas was getting low, so I stopped at a gas station. The store was closed, but the gas pumps were a 24 hour service. I was pretty relieved, because if I hadn't gotten gas I wouldn't be able to get home.

When I got into my car to leave, I saw someone walking in the distance. They weren't too far from me, but I didn't consider them very close. Of course, this scared the shit out of me, and I almost jumped into my car.

It didn't take long to get away, and I found myself getting very tired. I was about a half-hour away from home, and I could feel myself slipping. I was driving, and I looked down and realized I was going about 15, when I looked up I saw the figure again.

It was an old man, he was quite tall and was wearing a black hat and coat. His eyes were wide and he pressed up against my car, not speaking. I screamed, and backed my car up, only to see him moving closer to my car.

I completely turned around, my sleepiness was gone, replaced by adrenaline. I kept looking behind me until the man was out of sight. I then drove and when I finally got home, I almost ran inside, tears streaming down my face.

I wanted to call someone, anyone, but I knew it was far too late for that. Soon I realized I had left my purse in my car, and I went out of my house only to see the man standing right next to my car.

I felt a wave of utter horror flow through me as I let out a scream and quickly dashed back inside of my home. I ran towards the phone and called the police, and it only took but a minute for them to arrive.

When they did, the man was gone.