The Game Changer

One.

August 1st, summer of my junior year; also known as the worst day of my life. First, my boyfriend of over a year decided to break up with me because I acted too much like a guy. Actually, let me back track a bit. I was on the soccer team at school and during preseason in the summer of my sophomore year (last summer) the football coach approached me and told me that their star kicker had been injured and their backup was shitty. My words, not his. Anyway, he told me he had seen me play soccer and wanted to see if I could kick a football the way I could kick a soccer ball. So, he taught me how to kick a football and here I am a year later: the best kicker in the state of Pennsylvania. That's the short version of the story. Back to today, August first. Dallas, my boyfriend or ex-boyfriend now, I guess, told me that he didn't like the idea of dating a football player and he was sick of being made fun of. I pretty much just took that as him not being confident with his dick size. But that was only the beginning of the shit fest that was August 1st.

It all started when my mom came in my room and told me that dinner was ready. Most nights it was just me and my mom at dinner but when I walked down stairs, my dad was sitting at the table. My parents weren't divorced or anything. They were civil for the most part, but fuck, did I hate my dad. Once I saw him sitting there I knew something was wrong.

"What's going on?" I said, as I slid the chair out and sat down at the table.

"Hi, how was your day? It's nice to see you, too." My dad mumbled sarcastically.

My mom sat up straight in her chair and flattened her napkin on her lap, then looked at me. "Sweetheart, your father has to tell you something. Now, I want you to hear him out and let him finish speaking before you..."

"We're moving. In ten days so start packing your shit." He cut my mom off, then got up from the table and took his beer into the living room.

"Moving?" I choked out. "Moving where? Down the street I hope."

"To Texas."

"Texas? We're moving to fucking Texas?"

"Watch your language and yes, Texas. Your father got offered a job down there and it would be stupid of us to turn it down."

"Us? Yeah, I'm sure he really considered whether or not I would want to move. I'm going into my senior year of high school and I just got over all of the bullshit for being a girl on the football team and you want me to move?" I was screaming and my mom didn't even flinch.

"That's also what I wanted to talk to you about. There's a town in Texas called Dillon. The coach contacted me and was interested in you. He said he read the story about you being the first and only female to make the First-Team All-American team. He wants you to go to Dillion High school."

"Well, looks like I don't have a fucking choice, do I?" And with that I got up, grabbed the keys to my jeep and took off.

Now that we've covered the shittiest day of my life, let me introduce myself. Hi, my name is Nicole Ferra and I am (was) the best kicker in Pennsylvania. I'm the only female to ever make first team in high school football and now I'm moving to some shit hole of a town called Dillion, Texas.