Status: A work in progress, enjoy <3

The Liar & the Honest

Chapter Three | Adeline Bennett

Adeline laughed at the Slytherin table in between Orion and Hugo, they waited for the sorting ceremony to end - wanting the feast to begin. She looked around the Great Hall searching for familiar faces. She grinned, meeting eyes with Jacey - she nodded towards her best friend before turning her attention towards the boys. Adeline set her elbow on the table and her chin on her fist.

“Lane?” Hugo whispered.

“Hmm?” Adeline questioned, staring up at the platform, towards the small first years - uncaring when another child was sorted into Slytherin.

“What happened to your wrist?”

“Nothing,”

“It isn’t nothing, Lane,” He hissed. “your bruised.” She pulled her elbow off of the table, pulling her robe sleeve done.

“Just,” Adeline quickly said. “Just forget about it,” Hugo grabbed her face in-between his hands, she scrutinized his face - his normal smile was replaced with a frown, his brown eyes that seemed to be as if a thought had just crossed his mind stopped filled with worry.

“I will not just forget about this,” He hissed in a quiet voice. “We will talk about this later.” Hugo bought her forehead towards him, kissing her head before pulling away and turning back towards the last student getting sorted.

Adeline turned towards the sorting slowly, she watched as Dumbledore stood from his seat at the staff table with a grin. "Let the feast begin!" He said raising his hands in welcome.

Adeline kept glancing at Hugo, wondering what that was all about.

"Aren't you going to eat, Addie?" Orion questioned, looking from me to my empty plate. She nodded, grabbing a little of everything before pouring herself a goblet of pumpkin juice. Adeline leaned against Hugo with her feet propped up on Orion.

"We're still talking later," Hugo whispered in her ear. "No matter how much you cuddle up to me," She sighed. Adeline watched as Dumbledore stood up once more - the chatter of students in the hall quietly down.

"That was a great welcome back dinner, wasn't it?" Dumbledore said clapping, slowly the students in the Great Hall started clapping along with the headmaster. "But to other matters."

The hall fell silent at once.

"Now as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here though and you have the right to know why. Once there was a young man, who like you, sat in this very hall, walked the castle's corridors, slept under its roofs. He seemed to all the world a student like any other. His name: Tom Riddle," Students erupted around the great hall. Dumbledore raised his arms, indicating to quiet down. "Today, of course, he's known all over the world by another name, which is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact: Every day, every hour, this very minute, perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls." Dumbledore paused for a moment. "But in the end, their greatest weapon... is you. There's something to think about. Now off to bed, pip pip."

Adeline removed her feet off of Orion while sitting up at the same time, she stood up. "Don't forget, we are talking," Hugo told her. "tonight,"

She sighed in annoyance, nodding. "I'm just going to walk with Jacey to the Gryffindor Tower since I didn't sit with her on the train." The two boys nodded, Adeline made her way the opposite direction from the Thompson brothers.

"Jacey!" Adeline shouted - making her way towards her blonde headed best friend. Jacey stopped in her tracks, she stood with Hermione, Harry, and Ron. She looked up and grinned - the two best friends made their way towards each other.

Jacey pulled Adeline into a hug - Adeline waited a few minutes before wrapping her arms around her best friend - she looked around the hall making sure that her siblings weren't near her. Not catching sight of Cecelia or Jonathan, she wrapped her arms around Jacey - a small smile playing at her lips.

"Come on," Jacey said, grabbing Adeline's hand and pulling her towards the doors of the Great Hall, making their way up many different staircases that Hogwarts held - it was silent as the two walked together.

"Why didn't you sit with me on the train?" Jacey questioned, her voice seeped with hurt. Adeline looked at her for a moment.

"I couldn't, Jacey," Adeline's voice broke. "Sebastien, he really doesn't want me to see you anymore. They're trying.." Adeline stopped mid-sentence, shaking her head, taking deep breaths trying to take control over her emotions.

"What is it?" Jacey questioned, Adeline stared straight ahead - not wanting to make eye contact. "Addie?" Her voice feeling with worry. They now stood by the portrait of the Fat Lady, Jacey not taking her eyes off of Adeline at any point, waiting for her to answer. Adeline tapped her fingers against her thigh.

"Sebastien, Edmund, and Emilia," She whispered.

"What about them?"

Adeline looked up tears filled her eyes, she shook her head. She didn't want to say anything, how was she suppose to tell her? It's not like she wanted to do it. It was hard enough being the outcast of a family that served Voldemort.

"Miss. Bennett and Miss. Mill shouldn't you be in your common room?" Adeline and Jacey turned their attention from one another, catching sight of Professor Snape. The two girls nodded, saying their goodbyes. Adeline made her way back down the staircases.

Adeline sighed, pushing her hair out of her face, reaching the dungeons from the Gryffindor tower was a long way and she had so many thoughts rushing through her mind. She took a deep breath, she just had to make it to the Slytherin common room and through her talk with Hugo and than she'd be free to lay in her bed until she fell asleep.

Reaching the Slytherin common room - she made her way through the wall, looking around. There were only two people left awake, they sat facing the fireplace. Adeline braced herself,she wasn't sure if this year was going to make her or break her, all she knew was that she'll always have Hugo and Orion.

She took a seat in-between Hugo and Orion, they both stared at her with serious facial expressions. Orion reached over, grabbing Adeline's hand and pulling up her robe sleeve with force, he held her tightly staring at the dark bruise.

"Addie," Orion whispered, removing his hands from her. "what's going on?"
Adeline gulped.

"Well.."