Sinking Moons

OUR BODIES GET BIGGER BUT OUR HEARTS GET TORN UP

"Babe, I don't understand what I'm supposed to wear to this thing," Logan said as he pulled a gray polo out of his dresser.

"This thing? You mean my father's wedding?" Maggie asked as she struggled with the clasp on her necklace.

"I mean your father's third wedding in the past eight years," he sighed as he sat on the edge of the bed. "It feels less important every time. And the women keep getting worse."

"Just because his marriage is bound to end within five years doesn't make it a joke," Maggie playfully frowned, "and it sure as hell doesn't mean you can wear that. Get your suit out of the closet." Logan groaned as he pushed himself off the bed. He wasn't looking forward to the wedding at all. Once again, Maggie's dad had picked a monster of a woman to marry. This one didn't even ask Maggie to be a bridesmaid, which made Logan want to punch and hug her at the same time. At least he could sit with Maggie through this disaster.

"I can't. Get this thing. To work," Maggie complained through gritted teeth as she continued to try to clasp the necklace. "I give up," she sighed as she threw it on the floor. Pearls jumped around the hardwood in every direction. "You've got to be kidding me. I hate everything."

"You don't hate me," Logan replied as he grabbed his suit off the hanger and shut the closet door. The knob popped off in his hand. "When are we moving again?"

"Oh my God. Why is everything in this God forsaken house breaking?" Maggie wailed, "I feel like I'm going to combust. Is steam coming out of my ears?"

"No, but the tag is still on your dress."

She groaned as she ripped the tag from the side of her dress, creating a large rip in the fabric under her armpit. "Fucking cheap-ass dress. Is there anything we can't ruin?" She pushed open the handleless closet door and yanked a cardigan off one of her hangers. "I just want to warn you that I might kill somebody tonight. Tonight could be that night."

"I'll be sure to keep you away from the whiskey," Logan replied as he tugged his suit jacket over his shoulders. "Let's get going before fire starts shooting out of your eyes. We can't sell the house if it burns down." Maggie glared at him as he laughed, pulling her to him for a quick kiss.

_____________________


The ceremony somehow managed to be even more boring than Logan imagined. The decorations were minimal, the bride was horrendous looking, and he was legitimately concerned that Maggie's dad was going to pass out throughout the entire thing. When it was finally over, he grabbed Maggie's hand and started running for the door.

"Hurry! We gotta make it to the open bar first and hoard all the wine!" he yelled as people stared at the couple and Maggie laughed.

"Slow down! I'm going to sprain an ankle," Maggie gasped, out of breath from laughing.

"Oh, my lovely rose," Logan stopped suddenly, "I forgot you were wearing those dreadful heels." He hitched her over his shoulders, his hand holding her dress down in the wind. "Mr. Morette, it was wonderful! Mrs. Morette, what an extravagant sight you are! We shall see you at the reception!" he yelled across the church steps to the couple being congratulated.

"You are so stupid," Maggie laughed as she smacked his ass.

"Do that again and we might be a little late to the reception," he replied before smacking hers.

It took 45 minutes for the bride and groom to reach the reception. After they finally walked in and had their dance, Maggie made her way to her father.

"Congrats, Dad," she said as she gave him a hug, "but I really am starting to get tired of these things."

"Well baby girl, I'm planning on this one being the last."

"Haven't heard that one before," Maggie replied with a roll of her eyes. "But I'm serious. You know I just want you to be happy. So congrats."

"I appreciate it honey. I made sure we gave you plenty of time to drink all the alcohol before everyone got here," he joked.

"Thank you good sir. We took advantage of that.. a little too much maybe. I think we're heading out soon."

"You're already wasted and leaving. How considerate of you," her new mother-in-law chimed in. Maggie whipped her head around and stared at her.

"Oh, I'm sorry Mary. I forgot to congratulate you as well." Mary was Maggie's last mother-in-law, and she knew bringing up the old would piss off the new.

"It's Linda. Maybe you would know that if you were a decent daughter and talked to your father every once in a while," the bride snapped back. Maggie glared at her with her lips pursed.

"We should get going," Logan's voice arrived with an arm around Maggie's waist.

"Yes, we should. Can't say I wish you much luck this time around dad," she mumbled as she hugged her father. When they got outside, she kicked rocks all the way down the pavement.

"I want to cut her to pieces, skewer her, and fry the shit out of her right now," Maggie declared as they made their way through the parking lot.

"A Linda Kabob. I like it," Logan laughed.

_____________________


When they got back to their house, they changed into comfortable clothes and curled up on the couch with more wine. Maggie dropped her head on her husband's shoulder and sighed. "I actually feel bad for him sometimes, ya know," she said, "he used to be so happy. Him and mom were perfect together. I always think about how lucky we are, and how thankful I am that I'll never end up like him. But I think I could, if something ever happened to you."

"The only thing that's ever happened to me is you," he replied as he held her tighter. "Everything else in life has been a choice for me, but you never really were." They sat in silence for a while, the TV muted and the grandfather clock in the corner ticking loudly.

"Can you believe we actually did it?" Maggie looked up at him, "we gave our hearts to each other when we were four years old, and we've kept them all this time."

"Well you've dropped and cracked mine more than I would prefer, but all things considered I wouldn't give it to anybody else," he replied before kissing his wife.