Save Me

chapter one

Being alone has never been a problem for me. I enjoy the solitude, and time it allows me free to paint and sketch. As a junior in high school my mother feels that it is time I start making friends. She seems to think it is unhealthy for me to spend so much time alone. This is why I am being drug out of my completely comfortable lifestyle, forced to spend time with my cousin instead. As much as I would like to ditch out on David, I know he would be in contact with my mother. Instead of staying in to paint as I wish to do on this rainy Friday night, I am sitting in the park under a tree with David groping his girlfriend on a picnic table a few feet away. Please, someone explain to me why this is better than being at home alone? I'm still alone regardless of where I am. It's just how things work.

After sending the group message, I lock my phone and slide it into the pocket of my hoodie. I know it won't be too much longer before my hoodie is completely soak as the tree is doing barely anything to conceal me from the weather. Closing my eyes, I tilt my head back against the tree, breathing in the scent of rain deeply. I can feel droplets of rain sliding down my cheeks, no doubt causing my makeup to smear in the process.

I'm not sure how long I sat there, allowing the rain to soak through my clothes and clear my mind, but next thing I know there are more voices than just David and his girlfriend. “You must be David's cousin,” an unknown female voice states from beside me. Looking up, I find myself staring into the eyes of a gorgeous woman. Instead of answering, I pull my phone out to respond to the messages I received. My goal is for her to realize I don't intend to speak with her, but instead she takes a seat on the damp soil next to me. Her back leaning against the tree with her legs outstretched in front of us giving me a nice view of her worn Chucks.

“What do you want?” I ask, not moving my eyes from my phone's screen.

“I was told you're a stubborn one. Dave said you wouldn't want to talk to anyone, but I figured I'd try anyway.” Sticking her hand in front of my phone she says, “I'm Mary.”

I nod, “Desiree. Now you can leave.” Tilting my head back once again, I stare about me, to the branches with ever-falling leaves. Wishing I had my sketch pad and pastels, I trace my eyes over every line.

“I was just like you once.” Without warning she grabs my arm, I look down just in time to see her writing a number along the length of my forearm. “Text me sometime, yeah? We have a lot to talk about.” Mary smiles once, allowing her white teeth to show between her cherry red coated lips before she walks over to the ever-growing group of people surrounding my cousin.

“What am I doing here?” I ask myself aloud, gently banging my head against the trunk of the tree before I get up to leave the park all together, not caring what David or Mother have to say about it. I socialized, sort of, with one person. That will have to do. All I want is to capture nature's beauty. They need to understand that. Not everyone is cut out for social interactions.

With a sigh, I head back home. Contemplating what I'll say to Mother when I get there.