Status: Active

The Fallen One

Chapter 12

Isolde's POV

I sat talking with Liam as I observed Nik and Noah playing a game of beer pong.  Noah was losing horribly which caused Liam and I to start harassing him. With one cup left for Niklaus to make another of the hybrids came running in the room.

"You have a visitor." His eyes scanned the four of us nervously.

"Well, tell my visitor I'm on the brink of victory here."  Nik smirked at Noah.

The hybrid shifted from one foot to another. "He said his name is Mikael."

Giving a quick look at me a small frown appeared on his lips. "Then we mustn't keep him waiting. Move everyone out back. I'm gonna have a little chat with my dad. Liam, Noah, you know what to do."

Taking his hand we made our way to the front door.  I let his hand go before making it into view.  Seeing Mikael there instantly made the anger in me raise.

Mikael frowned at us. "Hello, Niklaus, Isolde.  I did not expect to see the two of you at the same time."

"Hello, Mikael. Why don't you come in? Oh, that's right. I forgot you can't." His famous smirk formed as he spoke.

"Or you can come outside if you want.  Maybe you'd like to join me out here Isolde.  Seems I have a matter to discuss with you about you daggering me and placing me in a cave for the last 60 years."  Mikael's voice dared.

I smiled shaking my head slightly .  "Or we could watch our hybrids tear you limb from limb."

Mikael smiled back.  "They can't kill me."

"True. But it'll make a hell of a party game. All I have to do is rub these two fingers together and they'll pounce."  Niklaus slide his arm around my waist as he spoke.

Mikael's laugh was humorless. "The big bad wolf. You haven't changed. Still hiding behind your playthings like a coward. You only forget. They may be sired by you, but they're still part vampire. And they can be compelled by me."

One of the female hybrids came around the corner pushing Katherine by the neck. I gave a faked concerned look to Nik.

"Come out and face me, Niklaus. Or she dies." His look hardened as he spoke.

"Go ahead. Kill her."  He raised his head slightly challenging Mikael. 

Katherine feigned fright. "No, Klaus. He'll do it."

Giving her a smile I turned my attention back to Mikael. "Come now Mikael stop with the empty threats.  Get on with it."

"If she dies, this lot will be last of your abominations." He said clearly getting annoyed. 

"I don't need them. I just need to be rid of you." Niklaus glared at him as he spoke.

Mikael frowned again raising his voice. "To  what end, Niklaus? So you can live forever, with no one at your side? Nobody cares about you anymore, boy! What do you have other than those whose loyalty you forced? No one. No one."

I stepped forward a bit only to have Nik pull me back to him as I let out a snarl. "That is where you are wrong, Mikael. I will be by his side. I care for him like no other. I love him and I will never let him be alone again."

"Oh this is rich. Two creatures who should have never been finding love in one another. Why is that? Because no one else will have you.  Stop fooling yourselves the two of you can not love. You are heartless monsters who will forever be alone."  Mikael chuckled causing Niklaus' grip on me to tighten.

Nik's kept his voice confident . "I'm calling your bluff, father. Kill her."

"Come outside and face me, you little coward. And I won't have to." He voice came out laced with anger.

His voice slightly cracked as he spoke causing pain to shoot through me knowing he was hurt.  "My whole life you've underestimated me. If you kill her you lose your leverage. So go ahead. Go on. Kill her. Come on, old man. Kill her. Kill her!!!"

Mikael let out a loud laugh as Nik screamed at him. "Your impulse, Niklaus. It has and will forever be the one thing that keeps you from truly being great."

He quickly stabbed Katherine in the back making Nik gasp and I slowly backed away. Bumping into something I turned seeing one of the hybrids standing there.  Before I knew it he threw me to the ground driving a stake into my chest missing my heart thankfully.  Although it wouldn't have killed me it would have knocked me out for awhile.

Noah rushed him throwing him into a wall while Liam kneeled above me. "Hold tight Izzy I'm going to pull it out now."

"Just get the damn thing out of me."   I growled as my eyes went yellow.

As he yanked it out I looked over to see Damon on top of Niklaus shoving a stake in him. Jumping to my feet I went to lunge at him but Stefan beat me to it. As he took him down the stake rolled to a stop at my feet. Picking it up I glanced at Nik who was starting at me now.

"Kill that son of a bitch now."  My voice was hard as I tossed it to him.

In an instant he flew out the door driving the stake threw Mikael's heart.  Coming up to his side I placed my hand on his shoulder as we watched Mikael's body burn.  Niklaus turned holding me at arms length examining me before pulling me back in kissing the top of my head.

As we entered the foyer i heard Damon's voice. "Stefan what the hell have you done?"

"He's earned his freedom."  Nik's voice sounded exhausted as he spoke.

Stefan got off of Damon and stood in front of us. "Thank you my friend. You no longer have to do as I say. You're free."

Nik walked off slightly but I stayed put.  Leaning forward I placed a small kiss on my brother's cheek.

"Thank you Stefan.  I am truly grateful for what you have done tonight."   With that I made my way back to Klaus' side.

As I came out of the bathroom I noticed Nik laying on the bed. He was on his back, eyes open, staring at the ceiling.  A blind man could have seen he was in deep thought and if I had to guess I would say it was over the terrible things Mikael had said tonight. Sittings on edge of the bed I placed my hand on his bare chest giving him a sweet smile when he glanced at me.

"Love may I ask you something?" He asked placing his hand on mine.

"You may ask me anything your heart desires."  I gave him another smile as I spoke.

He gave a gentle sigh before speaking.  "Did you mean it?  When you told Mikael you would never let me be alone again."

Place on the side of his face I grinned.  "Is that what you're worried about honey?"

He gave a nod but no words.  "Niklaus, I meant every word I said to him. I don't know how or why it happened but I have fallen madly and deeply in love with you Mr. Mikaelson . I will never let you suffer through loneliness again.  I know the heartache it entails.  I understand it better than anyone ever could and I could not stand it if you were made to face that again."

The sweetest smile graced his handsome face as he got off the bed making his way to the wardrobe digging around in it.  I watched him with curiosity as he pulled out a safety box. Sitting back on the bed he pulled a key from the night stand and unlocked the box. Turning away he dug through it until he found what he was after.

"I had you something made awhile back but decided to hold onto it until I was certain it was the right time. I know now that it is time, honestly I think I've known all along."  He took my hand turning it palm up and placed the  most beautiful ring I have ever seen in it.

"Nik what is this?"  I had no other words as I examined the ring.

Inscribed on the inside was 'I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine'

"I can never marry you in the traditional sense but I would love to call you mine forever. I want to make you a Mikaelson if you will have me?"  Nik's gorgeous blue eyes danced nervously over my face.

I gave a wide grin before placing a kiss on his lips. "Nothing would make me happier than being yours and yours alone for the rest of eternity. So yes Niklaus I will be a Mikaelson."

He gently took my left hand slipping the ring onto my ring finger. "Thank you Isolde for making me the happiest I have been in a thousand years."

The dazzling smile on his face could have lit the entire universe ten times over.  Nik leaned in planting a tender, extraordinary kiss on my lips before laying back. Crawling in bed beside him I cuddled into his side for the night. Listening to him hum a soft tune my eyes slowly drifted closed lulling me into the most peaceful sleep I had ever experienced.  My mind and heart we full and content for the first time ever.