‹ Prequel: Guardian
Status: Weekly Thursday updates unless stated otherwise!!

Pieces of a Whole

Two

Passing the welcome sign, I shut the radio off and took the first left heading towards the old settlement. I had always loved the winding drive, the trees towering overhead especially during the fall when the leaves were only just beginning to change in color. Sighing, I tried to ignore the barn, tried to go past but something stopped me. Pulling over, I left the engine running only managing to take a couple steps from the door.

Something still felt wrong here and yes, I knew it might have something to do with the fact that my third brother was locked beneath what remained of the structure, by ancient magic. Climbing back into the escalade I sighed forcing myself to shift into gear sparing a quick glance at the bag on my seat. Inside was the book I still hadn’t tried finding a name for, some snacks, water and a blanket.

I figured I had a couple days off maybe I could convince the book to tell me some history; well tonight anyways, tomorrow I would visit my mother and Uncle and then there would be no more time.

Stopping in front of the dark house, I shuddered at the eerie feel in the air tonight as I climbed out of my vehicle bag in hand and made my way up to the door.

Gormitt had moved out shortly after we had left for college so the place was empty, of living beings anyways. Perhaps sensing her sisters nearby, the book had begun to shake and tremble trying to escape the bag at my side. Smiling at the enthusiasm I pushed on the door, swollen in the summer heat and unused for a god knows how long it didn’t want to open. Putting my shoulder against it, I lifted pushing the door towards the hinges before giving it another good shove forward stumbling as it gave way under my attentions.

Straightening in the foyer, I blew the few strands of hair from my face turning in a circle taking in the dusty surfaces. We’d run through these halls as children, playing tag and make believe. In a way this whole area had always been home and being so young, we’d thought it was the whole world.

Rolling my eyes as I remembered something I had said at twelve, I reached for the bag releasing the book. ”One day I’m going to live in this house.”

Moving to the door leading to the stone basement, I took another look around. From this position I could see up the stairs to the second landing where we had foolishly thought the old banister to be the best for sliding resulting in Kate’s first broken arm and Tyler’s busted nose as he’d jumped to soon and slammed his face to the floor; I could see into the living room it’s grumbling fireplace where we would always find Pogue hiding and I could see out the window just beyond the arch leading to the dining room. From that window I could see the overrun house garden that hadn’t been used in over a hundred years, now weeds and a few tree saplings if you looked hard enough the wishing well was there no doubt still full of all the coins we had dropped over the years our wishes falling on empty waters. The sun would rise on that side of the house light filtering first through the old apple orchard before it began to inch toward the house, the light falling through the windows to light the memories this house held.

With one last glance and a sad smile I pulled on the basement door, following the book as it flew down the stairs candles lighting as we approached the bottom.

Maybe one day I would live in this house.
♠ ♠ ♠
I missed my Thursday update last week so there will be one more tonight - actually in like a minute LOL