Status: Thanks for reading!!

Fester

What You (Couldn't) Do For Love

I was hearing something. A thump. Multiple thumps, actually.

It was somewhere in the hallway. I was on alert and after listening for about three minutes, I moved in that direction. But you sleep in here. Nowhere else. Was she telling me not to leave the living room? Why? Suspicion laid thick over my train of thought.

I stood by the walkway and lingered for a moment, a voice told me to stop. I didn't.

I walked in the direction of the thumping. It wasn't loud, only really noticeable if you were completely silent. Every few steps, I paused to listen again, until I came to a door at the end.

Thump. I pressed my hand against the door. I made no move open to it.

I walked back into the living room and sat down. I heard a door open and feet shuffle down the hall.

"Addy." The shuffling stopped.

"Did you kill your parents?" She didn't move for a moment. Another door opened and I heard a low whisper, a voice that was for children and dogs. After a minute the door closed and I heard her shuffle to the walkway. Her voice was low and gravelly, a voice made when you're trying to keep things under control and everything is still being pulled from under you.

"Only one of them." She went back to her room and didn't come out until morning.
♠ ♠ ♠
ooooh, spicy