Hear the Voices When They're Screaming

Chapter 2

I left the boys in the kitchen, and went into the small bedroom Sam had left for me. Since I dont necessarily need to sleep, its just a couch and a few boxes - a spare office that Sam is letting me use. I was just happy to be allowed to stay. I didn't feel safe leaving Dean alone anymore, I trusted Sam, I really did, but I could never feel safe unless if was me Dean was with.

The boxes were full of those magazines Dean likes, full of busty asians. I didn't care for them. At the bottom of one box, there was a black book. Before opening it, I looked at the side of the box to see if it was labeled, and it was titled "Dean's stuff." I had to make sure I wasn't invading Sam's stuff before I removed the book and opened it up. On the first page were pictures of Sam and Dean as children. Dean always claimed they didnt have many photos because of their rocky childhood, but I always knew there had to be a few. And that's just what there were - a few, 3 or 4, because on the second page it automatically jumped to photos of others. There were photos of Bobby, Sam, John, Kevin, and finally me.

I hear Dean clear his throat behind me. I slam the book closed.

"Sam had me make an album full of people I care about to keep me down to earth." I look up at Dean, his eyes glimmered, and my heart wavered at the mere honesty in his voice. In that sentence, I had heard one thing, although it wasn't what he had said. "I care about you."

I smiled to myself, putting the book back into the box. A photo out of the album floated slowly to the ground, but before I could see it, Dean swept it up and put it in his pocket. He laughed nervously, then sat next to me on the small couch. It was so small, his thighs were up against mine. I could feel him breathing on my neck.

"Thank you for the pie." Dean said. His hand was still in his pocket, and I wondered what the picture was. "Even if it didn't turn out."

"I was just trying to...wake you up I guess."

This felt like the perfect moment to kiss Dean, but I knew it was nowhere near appropriate, so as the thought lingered, I didn't make a move. The small room we were in had one window about the size of a textbook, providing little light into the room. It felt romantic, in a way, so I stood up, opening the curtains to provide more light. I sat back down, accidentally closer than before, almost sitting on top of him.

"I wanted to get you out of your thought palace," I continued.

Dean smiled his half smile, patted my thigh, then stood up, grabbing the album back out of the box. "I thought it was a dumb idea," he says, "This album of people I care about. I thought, I'm back to normal, I know who I care about. But it's not just that...its remembering who I'm doing this for. Yknow?" I nodded. He set it down beside the boxes instead of inside, then sat back down next to me. "Thank you for being here."

"You're welcome." I say, looking at his pocket where the picture was. After a few moments of silence, I look up and see Dean staring at me, not like he were gazing off into his thoughts, but as if he were studying me. I stare back, and if this had gone on any longer, I'd be able to tell you the amount of freckles on his face. I swear I saw Dean start to lean in, when Sam barged into the room.

"Dean, Cas," he says, "We have a visitor."