Summer

It's over forty degrees

“Whose stupid idea was it to finish the year by having a tour in Australia, in summer?” Spencer complained as he used the end of his shirt to wipe his face.

“That would be everyone, we all agreed to it.” Ken sighed kicking at a rock on the walk path.

It hit the back of Zach’s shoe, but he didn’t seem to notice. Ken sighed again and fanned at his face with his hand, it didn’t do anything.

“I was meaning who came up with the idea to vote on it in the first place.” Spencer corrected.

“I think that was the labels. I can’t remember.” Dallon shrugged. “I’m more angry the hotel’s pool is off limits thought, at the moment.”

There was a collective groan of agreement as they walked down the street. The hotel receptionist said there was meant to be a fake ice display in a shopping centre nearby. A lot of the guys were starting to wonder if she was lying about the distance because they have been walking for twenty minutes in the heat and haven’t found anything like a mall yet.

“And that we have no car.” Zach added. “It’s boiling out here; we shouldn’t be out in this just a few hours before a show.”

“We shouldn’t be out here at all; it’s over forty degrees Celsius.” Brendon said looking at his phone.

Brendon almost walked into a cafe’s table because he was too busy looking at his phone. Zach managed to grab him by the arm and pull him in the right direction. Brendon smiled at Zach in thanks.

“Maybe we should stop, find a shop with air conditioning for a few minutes.” Dallon suggested.

The group came to a stop under the cafe’s awning, but even in the shade it was hot and humid. Ken tried madly waving both hands in front of his face for a little breeze; it was just as hot as the still air was.

“Good idea. And water, water would be good.” Zach nodded already looking around at the row of shops and cafes on the street.

Through the window he could see the menu of the cafe they were standing in front of but the cold drink section was blocked by the food warmer sitting on the counter.

“Ohh, they sell hot chocolate! I want hot chocolate.” Brendon said, pressed up against the glass.

Everyone looked at him like it was crazy, when Brendon turned around to face them he frowned.

“What? It’s December.” He said if that explained why anyone would want a hot drink on a boiling hot day. “Hot cider and eggnog would be nice too.” He added in thought.

Dallon shook his head rolling his eyes. He then turned to Zach and the two of them started discussing if asking someone for directions would be helpful of if they could find how far they had left to the shopping centre on their phones. Brendon frowned and followed Spencer and Ken into the cafe.

Spencer and Ken made a beeline for the cool drinks and grabbed a couple of bottles of water each. Brendon waiting for them to pay before he made his order. The other two walked out of the shop and handed the other bottles to Zach and Dallon, who were now fiddling with their phones.

The group stood huddled under the small slice of shade as they waited for Brendon and tried to figure out by GSP where they were.

Brendon’s order didn’t take long and he walked out of the shop with a large cup with a huge peak of cream sitting on top covered in chocolate chips. As he took a drink Spencer could hear ice clinking together.

“Thought you were getting a hot chocolate?” He asked quickly swiping a chocolate chip.

“Changed my mind, got an iced chocolate instead.” Brendon grinned.

Spencer laughed and stole another chocolate chip. Zack suddenly made a noise of joy and pointed up the street.

“We took the wrong street; it’s exactly the next street over. We just have to walk around the block.” Zach smiled.

“Then let’s go and get out of the heat!” Dallon said already walking quickly away.

The rest of the group hurried to catch up.
♠ ♠ ♠
Happy Holidays! :D