Storm Warning

001

The weather is colder than she expected.

Even though it's the beginning of February, the app on Lyla's phone told her that the temperatures for Raleigh would be a cool but sunny 55 degrees. However, when she finally climbs out of her Jeep after an exhausting twelve hour drive, she has to pull her sweater tighter to her body to fight off the biting wind. It can't be over 40 degrees, the result of an unanticipated storm that's blown in since she last checked the weather. Thick, ice cold raindrops pelt against her back so she quickly grabs the green duffel in the passenger seat, the smallest of her bags, and makes a mad dash for the glass doors just ahead.

The lobby is warm and inviting, decorated in dark woods and deep reds, and there's no one else around but that could have something to do with the fact that it's the middle of a Wednesday afternoon. The young man behind the desk smiles at her as she approaches, unwinding the burgundy scarf from around her neck. "Good morning," he chirps enthusiastically. "Can I help you?"

"I'd like a room please."

"Of course. We just need to get some information from you and a payment method. What type of room would you like?"

"The standard is fine."

"Okay, and how many days will you be staying with us?"

Lyla hesitates in setting a time frame for herself but ends up paying through the week as she hands over her credit card and identification. It's completely silent except for the keyboard clacking under the young man's fingertips as he inputs her information into the computer system. "Okay, all done. We have a room available for you right now," he informs her, handing over a white plastic key card with her other things. "Fifth floor, room 512. Elevator is just over there. I hope you enjoy your stay!"

She thanks him as she picks up the duffel at her feet and heads toward the shiny golden doors in the corner of the lobby. They slide open just as she approaches and she runs directly into the tall woman who steps out of it. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!"

The woman waves her off. "No way, totally my fault! Not even paying attention to where I'm going."

"Yeah way to go, Jen," the shorter, younger brunette jokes from beside her and they both smile at Lyla as they walk away toward the glass entrance. She steps into the now empty elevator and presses her thump to the black square emblazoned with the number five then leans back against the rail as the doors close. It's a short ride to the fifth floor and the door to room 512 isn't far down the long, golden hued hallway.

She's just sliding her room key into the slot when the door two down from her opens and a pretty blonde steps one foot out of her room, looking both ways down the hallway. When the two girls make eye contact, the blonde straightens up and lets out a heavy sigh. "Sorry, you haven't by any chance seen two girls out here, have you? One tall, one short, both have brown hair and red sweatshirts."

Lyla nods. "Down in the lobby."

"Did either of them have a bag with them?"

"There might have been a...blue one?"she says hesitantly, not specifically remembering the color of the purse on the younger girl's shoulder.

The blonde huffs and glances over her shoulder. "They did take my bag, Andrea!" A muffled voice responds from behind her and she scowls at whatever is said. "Yeah, well just wait. I think Mom has an extra key for their room so they're gonna be in for a surprise when they get back." She almost forgets that Lyla is still standing there watching her in amusement and she blurts out a quick thank you before she heads back into her room to plot revenge.

Lyla smiles to herself as she pushes open the door to her room and as soon as she kicks off her shoes and tosses her duffel into the chair in the corner, she collapses face down onto the plush, overstuffed bed. The drive from Chicago was a long one and her entire body aches from sitting in one position for such a long time. It only takes a few minutes for her to fall asleep and even though she's always been a light sleeper, she doesn't even register the yelling right outside her door hours later.

-

The alarm clock on the nightstand tells her that it's already night by the time she wakes and a quick peek out of her room window reveals a foggy, rainy view of the Raleigh skyline, all brightly lit against the pitch black sky. Since there's still a downpour happening outside, Lyla decides to hold off on any exploration and restaurant hunting, instead settling on the little bistro downstairs just off the lobby. The large, open room is completely deserted with the exception of a waitress so she takes her pick of the tables, choosing a small one tucked away next to the bar.

It's not until she's almost finished with her meal that she finally spots movement out of the corner of her eye and when she looks up, there's not one, but four, people walking in. A pleasant looking middle aged couple lead the way with a girl and guy following directly behind them, seemingly their adult children. Lyla recognizes the girl as the one she bumped into at the elevator and not two minutes later, the second girl from the elevator joins her family at their table. The two apparent sisters look far less amused than they did before and Lyla thinks to herself that it's probably because the blonde in the hallway got her revenge for their prank.

She looks up at the sound of the door opening again and when a young guy walks in, she's instantly mesmerized. He has one of those cute sort-of baby faces but his body is tall and lean with broad shoulders and exquisite muscle tone. He's dressed in a tee shirt and black basketball shorts even though it's cold and rainy outside and he makes it look much better than it actually is. His eyes practically scream exhaustion but when he spots the long table ahead of him already full of people, he instantly perks up and a broad smile spreads across his face, showing deep dimples in both cheeks. Lyla looks away, feeling like she's intruding on private family moments when he begins making the rounds around the table, hugging each of them.

The door opens one final time and two more girls enter the restaurant. The blonde looks much happier now than she did in her towel in the hallway hours ago, like she's very pleased with herself. The slightly taller brunette who follows in behind her seems amused about something, a slight smirk on her face as they approach the table and take the last two empty seats. Lyla shakes her head and smiles to herself as she tosses some cash onto her table and after one last sip of her drink, she gets up to leave.

Knowing that she's going to have to pass almost by their table but not wanting to seem nosy, she keeps her eyes on the door as she walks toward it, but movement in her peripheral vision causes her to glance over and when she does, she finds the entire family looking at her and one of them, the blonde, waving wildly. She lets out a quiet chuckle and tosses a small wave back to the girl but keeps walking, not waiting for the rest of the group to start asking questions.

It's quiet in the elevator, nothing but the quiet whirring and buzzing of the mechanisms working to raise it to the fifth floor, but a loud, shrill ring pierces through the silence and Lyla winces at the sudden noise and what it means. She pulls the phone out of the pocket of her sweater and only briefly glances at the screen to see his name before she hits ignore. It's the third time he's called.

It's been eighteen hours since she left his apartment while he was still sleeping. It's been seventeen hours since she packed the back of her Jeep with the few personal belongings she had and jumped into the driver's seat, pulling out a tattered old map of the United States with several X's marked across it. It's been sixteen hours and fifty-nine minutes since she drew a bright red circle around North Carolina and tossed the map into the floorboard before starting her engine. It's been thirty seconds since he last called.

It's about an hour from now that he'll call again and finally realize that she's not going to answer. She's gone and she's not coming back. She never had any intention of staying.

She always knew she'd end up breaking his heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyla's outfit.

So, I really love Jeff Skinner and the Hurricanes so I decided to try writing a little something about them. Fingers crossed that people actually somewhat like it. Please please tell me what you think, good or bad!