Splice.

#003

Kage cracks his knuckles as he sits atop the barstool, his electric blue leather jacket creaks as he moves to straighten his glasses. The robotic bartender scans his retina for his age, he stares deep into the lens of that soulless eye. He orders a bland bottle of beer, it sits sweating on the bar.

"What’s up sugar?" A familiar face lifts herself onto the stool besides him, he slides the beer over to her.

"Not much but this," he smiles viscously as he points to his groin, the girl full throttle punches him in the shoulder. The blow sends him flying off his seat and onto the floor in a tangled mess of limbs, he gets up ungraciously and sends her a toothy grin. "Nice to see you too Perse," Kage says as he mounts the stool again.

Perse tangles her fingers in Kage’s hair and kisses him roughly, she tastes like soot and batteries.

~~~

He lays silent and shivering in the cold bath, underwear still on. Goose flesh rises over his skin, making him feel very much like a porcupine. He watches Perse sashay her way towards him, she peels off her clothes as she steps toward him. Kage’s lip curls when she reaches behind her head to untie her eye patch.

"I wish you wouldn’t do that," he says despondently.

"Just because you don’t wear your horror on your flesh," Perse smiles sweetly.

The hollow dark hole stares deeply at him, feels as though his soul’s being ripped out through his eyes.

~~~

Kage wanders through the dank and dimly lit wood, it’s more of a thicket. He comes across a small lake, it’s weird what you can find practically in your backyard. Mist glides over the water’s surface and guides his gaze toward the centre, a girl stands there water licking at her hips. She has an eye patch over her right eye, a cigarette pokes out of the corner of her mouth.

~~~

He watches Kura stuff his face with the grease soaked pizza, watches the other roll the slices on top of each other like some sort of sandwich. Kura looks up at Kage and smiles wickedly, cheeks full of food. Kage grimaces and Kura laughs spitting crumbs and bits everywhere.

~~~

Fingers widely splayed press hard against the small of his back, they paint the room a deep but warm grey.

~~~

Her skin presses against his, all cold from the bath and soft from her femininity. It reminds him of the opposite he once had next to him.

~~~

Flesh so warm it prickles Kage’s nerve endings so they send pain singals to his brain, it presses hard against him and him hard against the wall.

~~~

They stagger through the faded metal of a train carriage stopped at the crossing with its doors wide open. Kura can hear the familiar crossing tone ringing through the empty corridors of his mind. The shadows pull at his conscious, yelling at him, why did he get to live and not them? They pull his attention, most starkly the small form of what must have been a child, a dark black form roughly the same size and shape that he was at that time. Kura stands in between the open doors frozen by the solidity of his severe guilt.

~~~

She holds the book close to her face, but Kura can clearly see her staring directly out the window or toward the door. He thinks that maybe she’s waiting for someone and it makes the imagined tear in his heart hurt, he suddenly remembers that he’s waiting for someone too.

~~~

Kura watches the fire lick around the house, he stands on the front lawn trying his best to ignore whatever it is that is licking his closed palm.