Status: completed; for Carese

Memorable

yeolie.

Chanyeol eyed the little blue box on the table, his arms crossed over his chest. He bit his lip leaning forward.

Finally, he picked up the box and opened it, checking its contents once again. The ring still was glistening and gleaming as it had before. For the umpteenth time, his lips broke into a smile. He closed the box satisfied and put it back on the table. Crossing his arms, he sat back on the sofa, closing his eyes.

He had hoped Carese would like the ring as a gift and would accept it as a token of their love. While the two had discussed marriage, they had both agreed it was still early in their relationship, but he couldn’t imagine life without her.

A buzzing noise alerted Chanyeol of an incoming SMS. He picked up the phone, reading the message:

Bringing the birthday girl your way.

It was from one of Carese’s friends. They had agreed to share the day, letting her hang out with friends the first half of the night and he would be with her the latter half. He felt it was an equal plan.

Chanyeol yawned, his eyes darting to the clock on his phone. It was almost midnight. He felt a little tired and hoped he did not fall asleep before she arrived.

He got up and moved to the kitchen of the apartment they shared. In the sink sat a bouquet of pink carnations and a slim vase. He filled the vase and cut the flower stems, placing them in the vase. He picked up the vase and went back to the living room, setting it on the table next to the tiny box.

Thunk! Chanyeol jumped at the sound. He shook off his fear and went to answer the door.

His jaw hung to the floor as he was met with what looked to be an unconscious Carese who was lofted by her six best girlfriends, all clad in short party dresses and heels.

“Hey, Chanyeol,” spoke up Liz, the leader of the party. She lifted Carese’s shoulder a little. “Here’s your girl.”

Before Chanyeol could even form words, Carese’s eyes flitted open and she waved at him. “Hey,” she greeted him. She hiccupped, covering her mouth, then giggled.

“Do you mind if we come in? She’s kind of heavy,” Liz asked. Chanyeol stepped aside and the party of girls entered. They set the guest of honor on the couch and started to walk back towards the door.

Chanyeol stopped them. “I thought you were gonna only have a few drinks,” he said.

“We did,” she explained, “but then a few turned into six, then seven, and then we lost count.”

“Well, what I am supposed to do now? Tonight was supposed to be memorable and I don’t think she’ll remember a thing now that she is drunk.”

“Yeolie,” Carese sang. Chanyeol looked over his shoulder. Carese had used the back of the couch to haul herself up and was currently crooking a finger at the lanky boy, calling him over.

Liz clapped a hand against his shoulder, causing him to look at her. “Looks like you still have your chance to make tonight memorable. Night Carese!” the girl chimed before closing the apartment door behind her and the group.

Chanyeol was now alone with his inebriated girlfriend, not sure what to do. Sure he had experienced his hyungs drunk before, however his girlfriend? That was new territory. He thought quickly as far as what to do. Whenever his hyungs were drunk, they would always try to sober them up with…

He clicked his fingers, “Keopi!” He ran into the kitchen and started brewing the pot. In the midst of brewing, he heard a loud crash come from the living room. Worriedly, he sprinted into the next room to see what had happened.

Not seeing those long brown bangs hanging over the back of the couch, Chanyeol felt his heart drop until he heard laughter. He looked on the opposite side.

“Look, babe. I’m a caterpillar,” Carese announced. She had taken the blanket off the couch and wrapped herself in it messily onto the floor. Chanyeol brought his hand over his lips to hide his laughter at the scene.

“Let me help you up, jagi.” Kneeling down, he grabbed her hand and helped her up. In the process his eye caught sight of the blue ring box from earlier on the table. His heart sank a little. As much as he wanted her to be excited about the promise ring now, he knew it would have to wait until she was sobered.

She made it to the couch and lay on her side. Chanyeol pushed a few flyaways from her face. “Why don’t you lay down here and I’ll bring you some coffee soon?” he asked her, touching her warm cheek. She mimicked the gesture, nodding silently in response.

Chanyeol kissed her forehead, smiling at her shortly after. He placed a trashcan nearby in case she needed to vomit, then picked up the ring box and put it in his pocket, heading back into the kitchen.

***
“CHANYEOL!”

Chanyeol jolted out of his sleep, the sun blinding him. He blinked a few times before feeling around for Carese, his hand landing on her shoulder.

“Hmm?” he yawned, his eyes still settling.

“Is this what I think it is?” Carese was staring at him, holding the blue ring box.

His face flushed as he realized she had found the ring and he suddenly felt shy.

“I thought we had talked about this. I thought we both agreed....”

“It’s not a wedding ring, jagiya,” he explained, taking the ring from the box. He took her hand and slipped it over her finger. “This is a promise ring. For someday when we do.”

“Yeolie…” her voice was weak.

“At least, I hope you still want to marry me someday.” His smile broke into a small, hopeful one.

Carese studied the ring on her finger before attacking him with a hug. “After you took care of me last night? Of course, I still want to marry you!” He could feel the warmth of her love for him and patted her back encouragingly.

Chanyeol pulled away, and overwhelmed by emotion, pulled Carese in for a kiss. Almost as soon as he pulled her in did he feel the urge to pull away. She sobered, placing a finger against her lips knowledgeably. “Morning breath…” she gasped, pointing in the direction of the bathroom, “we should…”

Chanyeol nodded agreeably, hand hovering over his own mouth. Embarrassed, the couple busted out laughing before she grabbed his hand and led him off to the bathroom so they could get ready for the day ahead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry, I've been MIA for a while. I started feeling a little burned out and had to step away from the computer. Spent a few days recouping my mind and now, my back is killing me and I cannot look beyond the pain.

While I was able to write this, I think I'm still in the burned-out mood, so to my dear Carese, I might have to write you another one-shot sometime. But I wanted to get this out ASAP and hope you liked it. Happy New Year! ☺