Abducted

Gone

It was a cold, wintry night, the gentle snowfall relaxing to most. I lay awake, my arms wrapped around the torso of my husband as he slept peacefully. The big lug was snoring, giving a little hum as he shifted a little. I smiled and gently brushed my thumb over his skin before I started a little, a noise coming from downstairs. What was that? I carefully untangled myself from the very asleep man I called my husband and grabbed a robe, not wanting to go downstairs nude. The creak of the door was creepy enough, but when I stepped out into the hallway, I could smell something odd. It was like an iron factory. I sniffed the air a little more and headed towards the balcony, looking around. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary... I turned back to my room and went to the bed, carefully shaking my husband.

"Richard...Richard wake up." He groaned a little and rolled over, opening his eyes.

"What is it?" I bit my bottom lip.

"I smell something weird in the house and I'm kind of scared, can you please wake up?" He finally sighed and sat up, rolling his neck. I could tell he was irritated, but I felt a lot safer with him awake. He grabbed his own robe and started for the door, me on his heels.

"Do you smell that?" I asked as he sniffed the air. He gave me a quick nod and shushed me.

"Go grab my bat." I nodded and hurried back into our room, grabbing his heavy wooden bat he kept for protection. I handed it to him and licked my lips nervously as he slowly started towards the stairs. My mind immediately went to our son, Nathan, who slept on the lower level. That sent me into a panic, my mind trying to conjure up anything that could smell like iron. The first thing that came to mind was blood.

"You get an umbrella as we pass, okay? You go to Nathan's room, and I'll search the house." I nodded to Richard as he directed me, deciding it would be best to just let him take the lead. I slowly slipped to Nathan's room when Richard directed me to, pushing the door open with the umbrella I held. It wasn't much of a weapon, but I supposed I could beat someone with it.

"Nathan?" I called quietly, looking around the pitch black room. Okay, something was up. Why was his night light off? He demanded that I turn it on every night before I left. I thought it was silly, considering he was nearly fourteen, but he felt more comfortable that way, so I obliged. I swallowed, frozen in the doorway. What was I going to find in my little boy's bedroom? I felt a cold breeze flow through the room and pass me by. I shakily reached for the light, turning it on.

The bright light flooded the room for a moment or two, making me squint, before my eyes adjusted and I could see just what had happened. There was a little bit of fresh blood on the pillow, as if someone had been knocked out, and the window was open, the snow drifting inside.

And my baby boy was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow what is this