Battle of the Bands

Cigarettes & Alcohol

Battle Of The Bands
Chapter 1
Cigarettes & Alcohol
"Jimmy, quit it." I laughed as I pushed him away while he was trying to tickle me.
"No, come here." he grinned, pulling me closer to him.
"Get her, Jimmy!" Brian shouted, walking over to us, cigarette in hand.
"Brian, you're not helping." I grinned.
"I'm not trying to help. I just love seeing Jimmy torture you." he laughed.
"Gee, thanks." I said.
"Where's the other guys?" Jimmy asked, leaning against a tree.
"Matt & Val have a date later, so Matt can't make it. Zack is on his way & Johnny...I don't know what's going on with him, actually." he paused midsentence. We were all supposed to meet at the park that day to hang out, but we would be a couple friends short.
"It'll be okay. I'm sure Johnny is busy with something else. Man, where is Zacky?" Jimmy said, looking around, with his arms crossed.
"I don't know." I said, pulling my phone out to text Zacky.
"Oh, I see him." Brian said, turning around to see him pull into the parking lot. We all walked over & greeted him by his car.
"Hey, dude. What's up?" I grinned, Brian & Jimmy in tow.
"Hey." he smiled, hands in his pockets. We all walked over to a grassy field in the park & sat down.
"So what have you two - I mean, what have you been up to, Lydia?" Zacky asked, grinning.
"Oh, will you quit it?" I nudged him.
"Hey, that's a valid question. Geez, you and Jimmy follow each other every fuckin' where." Brian said.
"Well, I have been practicing my drums lately so I actually haven't seen her for a few days." Jimmy chimed in.
"And I have been busy hanging out with Rachel & Charlotte thank you very much." I added.
"I'm still wondering how you two aren't going out yet." Brian said.
"Cork it, asshole." I rolled my eyes, looking around.
"Maybe Lydia is more fun to hang out with than you guys." Jimmy said.
"Ha! Right. I highly doubt that shit. Zacky & I are the life of the fuckin' party. There is no fun to be had without us. Ain't that right, buddy?" Brian said, looking over at Zacky.
"Huh? Yeah, sure." he replied, texting away on his phone.
"Anyway, what are our plans for today?" Jimmy asked everyone.
"I don't know. I was kind of hoping you guys had that figured out." I said as my phone rang. I stood up to answer it & it was my best friend, Charlotte Hadley.
"Hey, what's up?" I answered.
"Not much. You?" she replied.
"Hanging out at the park with Jimmy, Zacky, & Brian."
"I'm bored & need something to do. Mind if I come hang out with you guys?" she asked.
"As if that's even a question."
"Right. I will be there in a few then." she laughed.
"Sounds good, chicka." I grinned as I hung up. I walked back over to the group & sat down by Jimmy.
"Who was that?" Brian asked.
"Charlotte." I said, laying back against Jimmy's chest.
"Is she coming to hang out with us?" Brian asked me.
"Johnny! Where the hell have you been?" I said, jumping up & running over to him, excitedly.
"I was busy practicing. I haven't picked up my bass in forever. Sorry I'm late. I almost didn't come." he said, hugging me.
"It's okay. I'm glad you came. Matt isn't coming. He has a date with Val later. Brian, Zacky, & Jimmy are here, though. Charlotte's coming too here in a bit."
"Hey, can I ask you something?"
"Of course. You okay?"
"Yeah. Has Jimmy asked you out yet?"
"Fuck you." I said, walking away.
"I'm being serious. Did Brian make fun of you again?"
"What do you think?"
"Lydia!" I heard Charlotte call for me across the parking lot.
"Thank god." I whispered, walking in her direction.
"You okay?" she asked me, knowing something wasn't right.
"They're doing it again." I rolled my eyes, crossing my arms.
"Fuck them. It's none of their damn business." she said, putting an arm around me.
"I may just stop hanging out with Jimmy. He's cool & I like him. Hell, he's my best fucking friend, but this shit has got to stop. It's driving me insane. We're never going to go out together. I can't get them to fucking quit. We just need to leave. I don't even wanna be here."
"Come on. Get in." she motioned over to her car. I climbed in & sat down when I got a text from Jimmy.
"Everything okay?"
"I'm leaving to hang out with Charlotte. I'll text you later. I can't deal with them right now. Sorry. :-("
"I understand. We'll talk later. Maybe I'll take you out for ice cream later. Sound good?"
"Thanks, Jimmy. I'll text ya later this evening."
"So where are we going?" Charlotte asked me.
"I don't know. Just get out of the park." I sighed, turning on the radio. We drove around town for a while & finally decided to go back to her apartment. I walked out onto her patio as she sat beside me, handing me a cigarette.
"Thanks." I sighed, lighting it with her lighter & handing it back to her. I took a few long drags & exhaled, slightly relieved.
"So did you hear about the Battle of the Bands in a few months?" she asked me.
"No. What? Where? When? Details, details." I said, excitedly.
"It's four months from now, but they don't have a venue listed yet. I think Scent of Castle has a shot. This might just help us make the big time." she grinned, taking a few drags off of her cigarette.
"Do the others know?"
"I think so. Ryan was talking about it the other day. He was going to tell you about it, but he's been so busy with work he hasn't had a chance."
"Oh, well next band meeting, that's what we're going to start practicing for. We need to call them asap."
"Already ahead of ya. I called them yesterday & they said they put us on the list. They will update us with details when the date gets closer."
"Sweet. You're awesome. But you already knew that." I nudged her with a grin as I finished my cigarette.
"Yeah. I know." she smiled when we heard a knock on the door.
"Door's open." she shouted, turning around.
"What's up, bitches! Are we ready to party?" Kyle smiled, a few different bottles of alcohol in his arms.
"Um, yeah. I think we are going to get just a little fucked up tonight." Ryan said, carrying the rest of the bottles in behind him.
"Wow. Awesome. Let's do this." I grinned, surprised.
"I present to you Tequila, Vodka, Jagermeister, & Jack Daniel's. We also have a few assorted mixed drinks if you ladies would like to partake in those." Kyle grinned, sitting the bottles on the counter along with Ryan's bottles.
"Ugh, I'm okay. Don't ask if I need help or anything." we all heard Rachel call out from the doorway carrying a bunch of bottles of mixed drinks inside.
"Sit them on the counter." Kyle said, grabbing a glass from the cabinet.
"Jerk." she rolled her eyes, sitting the bottles down & grabbing a glass as well.
"This is for you, madam." Ryan grinned, handing me a drink.
"What is it?" I asked him, curiously. Vodka mixed with some Zombie. You just look like you could use a strong drink."
"You have no idea." I sighed, taking the glass & chugging it. A few hours later, four tall glasses of Ryan's Zombie drink, & three cigarettes later & I was fucked up. I was laughing hysterically & stumbling around the room. Everyone else was a little drunk, but not like me. I was super drunk.
"Hey, uh, your phone is ringing. It's Jimmy." Rachel said, handing me my phone.
"That's where that went." I said, excitedly.
"Jimmy! My favorite person in the whole wide world. Ah, what are you doing, my buddy?"
"Are you drunk?" he asked, knowingly.
"Maybe a little bit. Just a little."
"Yeah, that's what I thought. Are you still up for that ice cream or no?"
"Jimmy, I love you. Ice cream sounds fire right now. Please, let's get some ice cream." I slurred my words horribly.
"Okay, okay. I'm going to assume you are at Charlotte's right?"
"Oh my god, how'd you know?"
"I'll be there in a minute." he laughed.
"You guy's going on a -" "Kyle!" Charlotte stopped him midsentence.
"What?" he shrugged, taking another drink from his glass.
"Well, I'm outta here. I'm gonna go get some ice cream with my buddy. I will see you guys later. Thanks for the alcohol, guys. I really needed that. I'll text you all later." I grinned as I walked out the door & sat on the front apartment building steps. I sat there for about fifteen minutes before he finally pulled into the parking lot. I smiled as I tried to stand up, but fell back down. He quickly got out of the car & rushed over to help me up.
"A little drunk, huh?" he chuckled.
"Okay, a lot drunk." I slurred as he put my arm around his neck & helped me walk to his car.
"Yeah, you're pretty hammered." he said, opening the car door sitting me down inside.
"Let's go do this thing." I laughed, trying to fasten my seat belt, but it seemed like a Chinese puzzle.
"Uh, let me help with that." he said, fastening it for me. He turned on the radio to some Dream Theater & I cranked it up really loud. Jimmy's sound system in his car was absolutely incredible. I loved listening to music in his car. The ride seemed rather short because before I knew it, we were at the Cold Stone Creamery by the beach.
"Come on, Lyd." he grinned, getting out of the car. I attempted to get out of the car & upon opening the door, I almost fell to the ground if it hadn't been for Jimmy catching me just in time.
"Thanks." I blushed, pushing a strand of purple hair behind my ear.
"Don't mention it, Lyd." he grinned, picking me up & helping me walk inside.
"Just sit here & tell me what you want. No, wait, let me guess. Oreo's & Cream with extra topping?"
"You're a psychic." I giggled, sitting down.
"I'll be back." he smiled as he kissed me forehead & walked to the counter.
"How's your date going?" Kyle texted me.
"Mention the word date again, I will turn you into a girl. Fuck off." I texted back.
I was almost angry until Jimmy came back with my ice cream.
"What'd you get?" I asked him as he sat down.
"Chocolate & strawberry." he grinned, getting a spoonful.
"Thanks for this, Jimmy." I grinned, licking my ice cream.
"Don't mention it. So have you heard about the Battle of the Bands?"
"Oh my god. Charlotte told me about it earlier. Are you guys doing it?"
"Yeah. You?"
"Charlotte signed us up."
"Looks like we'll be competing against each other." he said, eating his ice cream.
"I'm sure whatever happens, we'll still be friends after. Both of our bands could really use this oppurtunity to really get somewhere." I said, taking a big bite out of my cone. After we were done, I felt slightly more sober so we took a little walk along the beach. We talked like we always did, but then Jimmy brought it up.
"You really shouldn't let everyone get to you about us. It's none of their business, anyway."
"I know, but it's really annoying. We're just friends, right?"
"Yeah, Lydia. Yeah." he almost seemed kind of disappointed after I said that.
"What?"
"Nothing. Really, it's nothing. We're friends. We're best friends. Hey, are you ready to head home. It's getting pretty late."
"Yeah. I probably need to head home anyway." I said, confused. We walked back to his car in silence. The ride home was silent as well. I couldn't understand what was going on.
"I'll see you tomorrow, right?" I asked him as I got out.
"I don't know. I have a lot of practicing to catch up on. Besides, me & the guys have to start practicing together for the Battle of the Bands thing."
"Oh. Okay, I guess I'll text you sometime then."
"Yeah. Bye, Lydia. Good night."
"Night, Jimmy." I said, quietly as I shut his car door. Walking inside, I threw myself on my bed & passed out shortly after.