Status: Just started~~

Collateral Damage

So I've Heard

I wrapped my arms around myself, wearing Dalton's varsity jacket that he wore all the time. I sucked in deep breaths of his cologne, a small smile on my lips as I watched the cheer team practice. The football team was on the field behind them, Dalton calling each play loud enough to hear from the bleachers. I really didn't want to be here, but he was my ride. I looked and felt horrible, actually having skipped putting on make up and a costume for Cowboys vs. Indians day, since we were playing the Jameson Indians for homecoming.

Coach Hill had told me to sit out today before she commented on how I'd probably be doing the same for the homecoming game tomorrow as well. That was, of course, if I was still feeling feint, which I wasn't. I was just tired, as the day before had taken a lot out of me. I had actually eaten a boiled egg that morning, under Luke's watch, and two pieces of bacon. At lunch, Gracie kept offering me bites of her food on top of my turkey wrap that I was already eating. It was irritating, but I knew it was just because they cared.

"Hemmings, practice is over," I took my stare from Dalton off and looked down at the coach. "Get home and get some rest, okay?"

"Just waiting on my ride," I smiled and she nodded, returning the smile. "The new stunt looks great, by the way."

"You think Tyler is going to be able to hold Ghea up for the whole thing?" I nodded, meeting her on the track.

"If he can't, he just needs to be sure to call a cradle so she doesn't end up with a broken nose..." She suddenly put her hand on my shoulder and I looked up to meet her eyes, which mirrored the concern everyone else had. "I'm okay, coach, I promise," she nodded and gave me a weak smile.

"Just don't push yourself too much, okay? You're one of my best." Key words, one of. I just nodded, Dalton's jacket suddenly feeling like a weight draped over my shoulders. "I'll see you tomorrow afternoon, okay?" With that, Coach turned and walked out of the stadium. The football whistle blew soon after and the boys were sent to the locker room. Despite the growing smile on my face, Dalton gave me a glare.

"Hey, butterc-" He blew right past me without stopping. "Meet you at the truck then..." I mumbled and headed towards the parking lot. What the hell was up with him anyway?

In less than ten minutes later, Dalton was stalking out towards his truck, shoulders raised and tense. My bottom lip was trapped between my teeth again as I fidgeted with the buttons on his jacket, looking at the ground. "Was he a good, casual fuck for you?" The words brought a fire of anger. Who did he think he was, accusing me of something I didn't do.

"Excuse me?" My voice was strained, close to a scream.

"Ashton Irwin. That fucking weasel, always over at your house but he was 'your brother's friend', so I backed off. I saw the way he'd look at you. I didn't think you'd be stupid enough to do that in a classroom, at a school that all of our friends go to." Ashton? What did Ashton have to do with it?

"What the hell are you talking about, Dalton?" He had one hand on his head, pacing a few steps.

"You and Ashton Irwin were in a classroom, having sex yesterday!" What? "Seth was standing outside and watched you walk out. Said, you didn't even look at him. Then Irwin came out, looked at Seth and said that you were 'so flexible' since you were a cheerleader." I paled, tensing up. Ashton said that? Here I was, thinking we were at least okay with one another. My eyes brimmed with tears and I sniffled, leaning against Dalton's truck.

His calloused fingers met my cheek and I looked up, his gaze softening. "Are you kidding me, Dalton? He was lying. After we got back to the school, I got sick. I hadn't eaten that day and I passed out. Ashton took me to the nurse and I laid there until seventh period. Did you even notice I wasn't at lunch?"

"Of course I noticed, baby! Gracie was gone too, so I assumed you two were off together.

"Ashton and I used to be friends and he pulled me into a classroom and basically yelled at me for not eating. That was it. That's all that happened. He's a damn liar, okay? He loves to look cool and he thrives on the attention, both negative and positive." I sniffled again, laying my hand on his cheek. I couldn't lose him. I lose Dalton and everything else would slowly go with it. "I wouldn't do that to you," my lip quivered and he smiled sadly, arms around my waist in seconds.

"I'm sorry, baby girl," he nuzzled my neck and I smiled, still crying. "I love you."

"It's okay, I love you too."

"Want me to kick his ass?"

"No, Dalton. He's still my brother's best friend and like a son to my parents." Dalton's eyes flashed with confusion but he didn't question it.

I'd talk to Ashton myself later.

"It's Thursday," his eyebrows wiggled and I rolled my eyes, smiling. "Yesterday morning was perfect, by the way." His voice lowered and he sat me down on the tailgate of his truck. My legs found his waist and he leaned against me, nuzzling the crook of my neck.

My mind was still on what Ashton had said, though, not really all there for Dalton's advances. I was so... betrayed. Why would he say something like that to someone? Dalton soon noticed that my mind was elsewhere and sighed, pecking my lips. "I'll take you home and pick you up in a few hours? Say, seven?" I nodded and he smiled before we headed back to my house.

Dalton kissed me once more, eyeing the number of vehicles in the driveway. "You sure I can't kick his ass?" His eyes fashed and I patted his chest playfully.

"I'll take care of it. Just... listen to my side before you flip out next time, okay?" He nodded, smile sheepish and apologetic. He was so cute.

I slid from the seat, leaving his jacket in my spot, and made my way into the house. The boys were all sitting around, playing video games, and I smiled sweetly as I took a seat beside Ashton. He tensed up, eyeing me out of the corner of his eye, but the others were too into the game to notice anything different. Watching my brother, I traced one nail up Ashton's bicep, leaning towards him.

"Can we talk... alone?" I watched his Adam's apple bob with a nervous swallow and he nodded before I lead the way up to my bedroom. I shut the door and turned my back to him, turning the radio on. His cheeks were flushed, eyes wide.

"What did you want to talk about, L-" My hand screamed across his cheek and he stumbled back just a little, holding his face. "What th-"

"You think you can just waltz back to acting like you care about me, with no regard for our past, and then claim I slept with you?" I shoved his chest time and time again until he was against my rose-colored door. A furrow formed between his brows, his hand still on his cheek. "You're a joke, Ashton, you know that? You think that saying something like that will get you a little popularity? News flash, asshole, I'm not a ticket to everyone liking you. If anything, you've only made it worse for yourself because Dalton is pissed."

"I'm so scared, Charlotte," his lip was curled in a snarl, voice laced with sarcasm, and I scoffed with a roll of my eyes. If he wanted to act like that, then fine. I reached behind him for the door handle, my shoulder pressed against his sternum.

"You're such an asshole, Irwin," I tried to yank the door open but it bounced off his back and slammed shut again.

"So I've heard, Hemmings," his smirk grew and took a step towards me, chest against mine and breath cascading across my cheek. "Tell me Lottie, why exactly did Dalton ask you out? He bullied you all through middle school, yet you glorified him because, oh gosh, it's Dalton Lawson, and then he asks you to homecoming once you made the team." He leaned down, breath skirting my cheek. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you relish in the idea that Dalton Lawson peered at your naked body with something other than disgust in his eyes when you slept with him that night?" My chest tightened and I stared up at him, rooted to my spot. His head dipped, nose pressed to my neck. "Did you imagine it was me?" My mouth went dry, stomach in knots.

With a look, devoid of any emotion, he retreated from the bedroom, sure to slam the door behind him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ahhhh, kind of filler kind of not, I don't know honestly.