Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 15: Read All About It

"Can I speak to Lisa Stevens?" a rather perky lady asked over the phone as I slowly made my way out of bed.

"Come back" Fernando groaned while pulling me back into his arms.

I gave him a death glare before he reluctantly released me to continue my conversation.

"This is Sara Miller from The Sun. I was wondering if I could get your side of the story in regards to the article written about you and Fernando Torres, in today’s edition of the Daily Mail?” she explained as I felt my heartbeat faster.

"Uhm sorry. I don’t know what you’re talking about" I informed her while raising my voice, which caused Fernando to sit up on the bed.

"A certain … uhh … Juan Menes claims that you and Fernando had an affair behind his back and now the two of you are together despite him willing to forgive your little indiscretion. He alleges that you are just after Fernando’s money and would have done anything to snag a footballer" she continued as anger began to build up within me. "I was just wandering if I could get your comment on this?" she asked as I began hyperventilating.

Fernando saw my reaction to the conversation as he quickly jumped off the bed and grabbed the phone from me.

"Who is this?"

"Aah Mr. Torres. How nice to hear your voice … I’m Sara Miller from The Sun…” I could hear her begin to explain but Fernando hung up before she could say anymore.

"What did she want?" he questioned while walking me to the bed to sit.

"Juan told them about us" I breathed as his eyes grew large. "He said we had an affair, which he was willing to forgive but I still chose you. He also added that all I’ve ever wanted was to date a footballer" I explained as I felt tears form in my eyes.

"Lisa don’t cry" Fernando begged as he got on his knees and started to wipe my eyes.

"So this is his revenge" I stated after a few silent sobs as he nodded his head.

"Lis I promise I’ll make this go away. I’ll speak to my lawyers and agent. They’ll keep him quiet and make sure he doesn’t spread anymore rumors about us"

I gave him a smile in response before taking a deep breath and standing up.

"I should get to work. I refuse to let this ruin my day" I announced before walking into the bathroom while Fernando reached for his phone to call his agent.

`

When I had said that I refuse to let the story ruin my day I was wrong. Because when I got to my bakery, I found a group of paparazzi waiting outside, wanting to know what was happening between me and Fernando.

While the half a dozen clients that had booked large orders of goodies all cancelled their orders, citing ‘a change of plans’. Deep down I knew that they had read the article and were now refusing to associate themselves with 'the Baker who had an affair with the footballer' - as The Mail so eloquently put it.

"If one more person orders water rather than an actual meal. I’ll scream" Susan, my best waitress, ranted as yet another customer order the one thing they could get for free.

I knew those that had wandered into the bakery where just here to see for themselves if I really was the girl in the article.

"Why don’t you and the other girls take an early lunch?" I offered once I realized that customers where bound to be scarce today. She nodded her head yes as she rounded up the other waitress’ and began to leave.

"You need me to get you anything?" she asked when she stood at the door. I shook my head no as I watched her leave.

When I was all alone in the bakery I let out a shaky breath as I felt myself slowly breaking down.

It had taken Juan 1 article to destroy what I had worked 3 years to achieve I realized as I slowly felt my dream crumbling around me. I began to weep for not only the slow demise of my career but for actually believing that he would never hurt me.

"Lisa don’t cry" a voice said as they came to comfort me.

"Callie" I called as I noticed my cousin’s innocent face looking back at me. In the midst of my tears I hadn’t heard her come in.

"I’m sorry baby" she offered as she rubbed my back in order to get me to calm down.

The action worked as my breathing got back to normal and I found enough strength to move from the floor and onto one of the chairs in the bakery.

"This is gonna get better right?" I asked as we sat discussing what had transpired over the course of the day.

Callie merely kept quiet and I knew something was wrong.

"What is it now?" I said as I felt myself slowly getting drained from the situation.

"Lawyers from one of the talk shows called me a few hours ago. They wanted me to join him on a show to come and discuss what I saw happen between you and Fernando" she admitted as I felt myself get defeated.

"He is going on national T.V. to talk about what happened?" I whispered out in an attempt to wrap my head around the situation.

Callie merely nodded her head in agreement.

"I’m so sorry Lisa" she said sympathetically but I shook my head no as I felt tears start to form again.

"No. I’m the one who should be sorry for ever thinking that I could get what I wanted without having some sort of backlash for it" I admitted as I let the tears fall and started weeping again.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...

P.S. I just realized I never said what Lisa did for a living. Well she’s a baker and has her own shop.