Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 20: World Crashing Down

Daniel’s POV

"So I assume some of you’re having been reading the papers…" Fernando began as he stood in the middle of the locker room.

Today was the final day of the January transfer window and despite our excitement about the drama that the final hours of the window would bring; we weren’t worried about losing any of our top players. Fernando had been linked all month with a move to Chelsea but we never once imagined him leaving because, 1, he loves the club and 2, his girlfriend is settled here.

“About my rumored move to Chelsea” he continued, drawing my attention back to him.

"Ahh we don’t believe that rubbish" Glen added as he made movement to stand up.

"Sit down Johnson. Torres has something to say" Steven spoke steely as he gave Fernando a hard look. The Spaniard took a deep breath before continuing.

"Actually Glen, the rumors are true. I’ve asked for a transfer and the club has reluctantly accepted it"

"WHAT?" the whole room spat in unison.

"Yeah Torres. Tell your teammates and friends, why you’re leaving a club you claim to love. Explain to them why you are walking away from all of this and joining a club you swore you’d never sign for” Steven threatened.

"Uhm…" he coughed "It’s for a lot of reasons but mainly because I want to win trophies" he explained as Jamie fired back by claiming bullshit.

“Look guys it’s hard to explain this but I need to leave not just for me but my family too" he continued to explain while shaking his head. "I just wanted to tell you this because this is my last training session with the club and I wanted you guys to hear it from me and not from some journo. Now I know I’m keeping some of you so you can go. But I do wish you all well and good luck for the rest of the season" he concluded while the locker room just gave him a blank stare.

It wasn’t until Steven took his bag and told him to fuck off that the rest of the team reacted by doing the same before walking away and going home.

"If you’re gonna beat me up I’d prefer if you did it after I’ve signed my contract" he joked awkwardly once he realized that we were now the only people left in the locker room.

"Why didn’t you tell me?"

He mumbled a response I couldn’t hear before turning around and collecting his bag. Rather than let him take the easy way out I stood at the door to block his exit before asking my question again. He gave a sigh and dropped his bag before answering.

"I hadn’t made up my mind until a couple of days ago" he admitted as I raised an eyebrow.

"There’s something you aren’t admitting" I observed following a few seconds of silence.

"It’s Juan" he admitted with no reluctance. "He has a few compromising pics of Lisa as well as a video. If we stay here, in Liverpool, he would have some sort of sick control over us and I don’t want to live like that. If we move to London, maybe then we could be rid of him" he admitted as I shook my head in disagreement.

"Fernando no matter where you go he will follow. Wouldn’t it be better if you stayed here and worked with the club so they can protect you?" I quizzed as he shook his head no. I took a deep breath at this as I realized that his mind had been made up. "So this is it? You’re really leaving and there’s nothing I can do to stop you?" I asked as he shook his head in agreement without looking at me.

"It’s not like we won’t see each other. I mean we are practically family" he offered as he once again started collecting his belongings.

"Yeah of course. Just promise me once you’ve settled in you’ll come over so the four of us can have a relaxed family dinner” I offered as a smile spread over his lips.

"Of course I will Daniel. Now if you’ll excuse me I have an appointment in London" he said before giving me a handshake and walking away.

Boy am I glad I don’t have to deal with that. Imagine having to choose between what you love and doing the right thing?

I thought to myself as I grabbed my belongings and heading home to the comforting arms of Callie.

`

"Callie why is there a cab waiting outside?" I called as I walked into our home and dropped my training bag near the door.

I stood frozen at the door when I saw my girlfriend dragging a large suitcase down the stairs.

"Wh-what’s going on?" I splattered out as tears began to form in her eyes.

"I’m so sorry Daniel" she whispered as she placed the luggage next to smaller bags that stood near the hallway table.

"For what?" I questioned as my mind began racing about why her bags where packed.

"I’m leaving…"

"NO" I yelled before she could even finish the sentence. "No baby you can’t leave. I need you. Please" I begged as I walked closer to her. Tears started falling down her cheeks at my pleading as she shook her head no.

"I have to leave. It’s for the best" she seemed to try to reassure me but I disagreed.

"How is you walking out on me for the best? I know the situation with Juelz is hardly ideal but you can’t just give up on us" I continued to beg.

"I’m not leaving because of that" she announced as I stared back in shock.

"Why…?"

"I got a job offer" she explained while whipping away tears. "It’s for Doctors without Borders. I’ve been assigned to treat children in Cambodia. I’ll be away for six months" she stated as I felt the air knocked out of me.

"Wait. Why have they only told you this now? Call them back and tell them it’s short notice and you can’t go" I said as I padded my jeans for my phone so she could make the phone call.

"I’ve known about it for a month Daniel" she admitted as I stopped and looked at her. "And I’m going because I want too"

"But what about us?"

"What about us?" she asked back as I gave her a confused expression.

"Callie what does that mean?"

"Daniel we haven’t been an ‘us’ for a while now" she whispered out as she took my hand and lead me to a sofa so we could both sit and talk. "I know I should have told you how I felt earlier but I just couldn’t bring myself to hurt you" she began as she forced me to look at her. "I feel suffocated with Juelz living with us. Every day that I see her and you enjoying her pregnancy, a piece of me dies. And I know you’re gonna say you can fix it but you can’t Daniel. You can’t fix this. She’s pregnant with your first child and I see it in your eyes how happy you are and I’m happy for you. But I also know that, that baby deserves all the happiness it can get and the best way for that to happen is if… is if you and Juelz gave it another shot" she announced as I stared back at her.

"I know it sounds crazy but… this could be your chance at having that family you’ve always dreamed of" she explained as tears fell. "The mom may not have been who you wanted but I know that you’ll find a way to make it work" she smiled as I shook my head no.

Outside the cab driver was getting impatient as he kept on sounding his horn but I continued to ignore him as I held onto Callie for dear life.

"Callie please don’t do this" I pleaded when she pulled her hands away from mine.

"I have to do this Daniel. I’d rather see you happy than watch you split yourself in two trying to make everyone else happy" she admitted before standing up and wiping her tears.

She gave me one final look before walking into the hallway. I also stood up, following behind her as she collected her bags.

"Let me help you" I offered.

"Nah I’ve got everything" she smiled sadly as she stood with her luggage.

We stood in silence for a few seconds before I spoke.

"I guess this is goodbye"

"Yeah I guess so" she said before taking a deep breath and walking to the door. She turned the knob to open it but quickly closed it before walking back to me and giving me one final kiss. "I love you so much" she said in between sobs.

"I love you too" I answered back as I held on tight to her for the last time. She reluctantly withdrew herself from my arms before turning around and walking out without looking at me.

When she reached the porch she walked into Juelz.

"Where are you going?" Juelz asked as Callie shook her head and mouthed that it wasn’t important.

When Juelz looked down to the other bags Callie had in her hands a smile spread over her lips.

We both noticed this but said nothing about it. Rather Callie said something that would always stay with me.

"Take care of him because he is yours now" she instructed before walking to the waiting car. I watched her until the car was out of sight.

Juelz stood at the door with me and when the car was gone turned to me with a smirk.

"All alone at last" she flirted as I felt myself being sick. I merely gave her a tight smile before collecting my bag and walking to the room I had shared Callie. Juelz was wrong, I thought as I threw myself on the bed, even if me and her were now the only people in the house… I was alone.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...