Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 23: Captain, Leader, Therapist

"What the fuck are you doing here Torres?" Steven swore as I stood waiting at his front door.

"I need some advice Captain" I admitted as he looked at me perplexed.

"I’m not your captain so go get it somewhere else" he snapped before closing the door.

I took a deep breath before ringing the doorbell again and waiting for Steven to come back.

"I thought I told you to fuck off?"

"Steven I know you angry but please…" I begged as he gave me the once over.

"Fine come in but you’ve got ten minutes Torres before I throw your Judas ass out" he threatened before moving out of the way and letting me in.

I made my way into his living room before sitting on the couch; he followed behind me before taking a seat opposite the one I was occupying.

"Not gonna offer me something to drink Skip?" I teased as he gave me a blank stare.

"No. Now get to your point" he snapped.

"Lisa left town" I admitted as he raised an eyebrow.

He kept quiet for a few seconds before asking if this had anything to do with Juan and the pictures in the paper.

"It’s that and she feels unsafe about living here while Juan’s around"

"That’s understandable considering she’s pregnant and her ex-boyfriend is acting like some deranged psychopath" he noted as I nodded my head.

"I know but what can I possibly do to reassure her that there’s nothing to be scared off. This man is all bark and no bite. He is letting the media fight his battles for him rather than talking to us about what happened" I continued to explained as he agreed. "I understand that how their relationship ended wasn’t ideal but why not handle this man to man rather than turning the public against us"

"Because the media always wants a scandalous story" he stated simply as I waited for him to elaborate. "Juan knows that Lisa won’t change her mind about him if he speaks to her so he is trying to show her how bad being with you can be. The constant paparazzi attention, salacious headlines and releasing private images to the media. In his own twisted way he is convinced that will make her come running back to him"

"But it won’t. Every day that he continues to do this the more she grows to hate him and regret that she ever knew him"

"I know that and so do you but to weirdo’s like Juan it isn’t so obvious" he observed as I shook my head in agreement.

"So what do I do to not only show him that they will never get back together but also make him stop running to the media?"

"You talk to him man to man and make sure you are perfectly clear that you will not let ANYONE harm your family” Steven said sternly.

"How do I do that?" I questioned as he rolled his eyes.

"Well, first I hope you’ve got a baseball bat" Steven said as he leaned forward and began thinking up ideas of what I should do. But before he could continue the doorbell rang.

"What the fuck does this place look like? The pissing Hilton Hotel?" he swore before standing up and walking to the door.

~

Daniel’s POV

"Oh fuuuuck off" Steven greeted as he opened his door. "What do you want?”

"Can we talk?" I pleaded as he rolled his eyes.

"Do I fucken look like Dr. Phil to you lot?" he questioned as I gave him a quizzical look. He merely shrugged before moving out of the way so I could walk in. As I walked to his living room I saw a mop of blonde hair before realizing that Fernando was here.

"Daniel" he greeted as I did the same before taking a seat next to him. I asked him how he was, considering Lisa had left town a couple of weeks ago following the release of a rather personal tape of her and Juan, he answered that he was fine before Steven cleared his throat to get our attention.

"Would you ladies like some tea for this pity party?" he snapped as we both looked at him sheepishly.

"Look Steven I could leave if you’re busy right now?" I offered but he merely shook his head no.

"No its fine. I have a responsibility to make sure you’re OK as your Captain, so just get on with it" he said as he sat down.

I cleared my throat before getting straight to the point of my visit.

"I’m gonna ask Juelz to marry me" I announced as both men scoffed.

"You’ve got to be kidding mate" Steven said.

"No actually I’m serious. I think it’s time I did the right thing. We are less than a month away from welcoming our child into the world and I’d like to make sure he comes into a committed and loving family"

"How can you honestly say that with a straight face when you are not in love with her?" Fernando questioned.

"I love her" I said, not sure if I was trying to convince myself or them.

"Yeah mate whatever you say" Stevie shrugged.

"What does that mean?"

"It means you don’t love her" Fernando stated before leaning back on the couch.

"Yeah lady boy is right" Steven continued before I could reply. "You are confusing responsibility with love. You think because you are having a kid with that… that woman you should commit to her but the truth is the only person you need to commit to is the kid, if it’s even yours" he concluded.

"Of course it’s mine" I snapped. Steven and Fernando exchanged looks before looking away. "No don’t do that. That kid is mine; Juelz wouldn’t lie about something like this"

Steven mumbled something I couldn’t hear before Fernando spoke up.

"Look Daniel, we are just saying be careful. Juelz isn’t the most honest person out there and if you’re really honest with yourself you know there’s a possibility that that child she’s carrying isn’t yours. You mentioned on many occasions that you thought she was cheating on you when you were injured, so just be careful"

"That kid has to be mine" I whispered as they both looked at me. "Because if it isn’t I may have given up the single greatest thing to have ever happened to me for no reason" I reflected as we all sat in silence.

"You both need to learn that if you are gonna get what you want, you are gonna have to fight for it" Steven began as me and Fernando looked at him. "Now you Torres, you are gonna face up to that little bitch Juan and tell him exactly what you think of him. Whether you deliver that message verbally of physically, is totally up too. Just make sure he gets it through his head that you will not be intimidated. Now you Agger" he said while looking at me.

"I may not trust Juelz as far as I can throw her but you need to stay committed to her, at least until that baby is born and you are a 100% sure that kid is yours. For both your sakes I hope she hasn’t lied to you because I would hate to see your world fall apart if you are not related to that kid. Also stop using Callie as a crutch that stops you from taking responsibility. We understand she was your one true love but she isn’t here anymore. Move on with your life the way she has with hers. Maybe one day, a very very long time from now, you’ll find your way back to one another but I don’t see that happening anytime now" he concluded before taking a breath.

"This isn’t what I expected my life to be like at the beginning at the year" I mused.

"Yeah well its life, learn to lower your expectations" the English man stated before standing up. "Now that this episode of gossip girl is over, any of you care to join me in a round of snooker?" he offered as we both nodded before standing up and following him to his game room.

Steven’s right, the time has come for me to take some responsibly. I may have lost Callie but I haven’t lost my mind.

I need to put my unborn child first. Whatever future plans Juelz has of us as a family will have to be postponed until after the baby is born.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued