Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 24: Taking My Life back

"How are your parents?" I asked Lisa as we talked over the phone.

"They’re OK. They are still bugging me about why I’m back though"

"So you haven’t told them what’s happening with Juan?"

I heard her exhale before saying no. “It would kill them to know what kind of man he has turned into now that we have broken up”

"I understand… Have they asked about me?" I enquired nervously. "My mom hasn’t but my dad has been asking how you are handling the separation. Which is his own way of asking how you are doing" she laughed. "I miss you, we both do" she admitted, referring to the baby she was carrying. “I want to come home"

I couldn’t hold back the smile that broke out when she said that but I knew there were a few things I had to take care off before Lisa came back.

"I know you do babe but I think you should stay there for a couple more days. I’m meeting with Juan soon to talk about everything"

"Wait? What? Why didn’t you tell me this before?" she rumbled.

"I didn’t want to scare you. I want to make this right Lis. And the only way I can do that is if I have a man to man chat with him"

"Uhm OK" she sighed after hearing this. "But promise me you’ll be careful?" she pleaded and I agreed.

"Take care of yourself and our baby. I’ll see you both soon. And don’t forget to say hi to your parents" I said before she bid me farewell and hung up the phone.

I put the house phone back on the holster before turning my attention back to my two house guests.

"You done lover boy?" Steven snapped when I had turned around.

"Yes"

"Well thank fuck. Now we can get to what we all came here for" he continued as he looked between Daniel and me. "Are you sure you are both ready to do this?" he challenged as we both nodded vigorously. "Ohk. Just so you know that what happens tonight shall not be spoken about ever again" he reminded us before standing up and collecting his bag and walking to the exit.

Daniel followed behind him, while I went behind the sofa that hid the bag that contained all the equipment we would need for our meeting with Juan.

I’m doing this for my family’s safety and security, I reminded myself before walking out the door and closing it behind me.

`

Daniel’s POV

I took a deep breath before opening the kitchen door and walking in. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that Juelz wasn’t in there, so I quickly walked to the sink to wash my hands of the little bit of blood that were on them.

You are not to repeat the events of tonight to no one.

I reminded myself as I dried my hands and walked out of the kitchen into the living room, where I found Juelz looking at some wedding magazines. I rolled my eyes at this before remembering that I hadn’t talked to her about taking things slow, just until the baby was born.

"Hey" I greeted her as I took a seat opposite the couch she was currently occupying.

"Oh good you’re finally home" she said as a smile grew on her face. "I’ve been looking at all these wedding magazines and I think I’ve finally found the dress for our wedding. Now I know we haven’t discussed specific details about dates and all that rubbish, but I think we should get married as soon as possible. Preferably over the summer holidays, since you have no football over the summer. And I know it leaves me less than 2 months to get back into shape when the baby is born, but who cares. We can just get some surgical work done to get rid of that extra flab" she rambled as I scratched my neck.

"Juelz about that…" I began as she raised an eyebrow. "I think you are moving a little too fast. I was thinking maybe we should take things slower, focus on raising the baby for a year or two before we make permanent plans about our own future" I suggested, and from the flaring of her nostrils I knew she was angry.

"What do you mean in a year or two? I’m having your child Daniel, I let myself go just so you could have a spawn to show off to the rest of the world and now you tell me I have to wait for a couple of years before you make a commitment to me?” she snapped as I tried to remain calm.

"Look Juelz it’s not like I’m unwilling to commit. I’m just saying I’m not ready, right now"

"I bet you would have been ready to commit if I were Callie" she fired back.

"Leave her out of this. You always remind me that she is my past and I’d like it if you stop bringing her up" I said rather loudly. Once I was calm I spoke again, "Juelz I’m overwhelmed with how quickly my life has changed over the past couple of months and as happy as I am that you are giving me a child, I refuse to jump into marriage just to satisfy you. When I get married I plan on doing it once and with the right woman. So please, if this is gonna work you are going to have to respect my decision to focus on our child and his wellbeing before we talk about marriage"

"But Daniel"

"NO BUTS" I snapped, a little louder than I had intended. "That’s my decision and it’s final. Now I’ve had a long night so if you’d excuse me" I said as I stood up and give her a kiss on the cheek. "Goodnight. And should you need anything, you know were my room is" I said as I began to walk to my room.

Yes, me and Juelz had taken tentative steps to being a couple once again and even though we lived in the same house and were romantic with one another, I had yet to invite her back into the master bedroom. She was still occupying the same guest room, Callie had chosen for her and I refused to let her even enter the bedroom that me and Callie once shared.

Once shared.

Maybe this way of thinking was what was stopping me from committing to Juelz; I kept on seeing everything in this house as mine and Callie’s. This would need to stop if I plan on having any sort of future with Juelz.

Yes, from tomorrow on, there will be big changes in this house, mine and Cal…Juelz’s home.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...