Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 30: Hoping it’ll Get Better in Time

"OK boys one more lap then you can hit the showers" Brendan yelled as we all prepared for the end of training.

Once we were done I said goodbye to the coaching staff and walked quickly to the changing rooms. I was trying to avoid Steven, who I hadn’t spoken to in over a 3 weeks since he told me truth about Juelz.

After quickly showering and changing I collected my belongings and headed to my car but as luck would have it Steven showered and changed faster than me and was currently waiting near my car.

"Can I help you?" I asked as I opened the trunk and put my training bag in there. He didn’t say anything until I closed it.

"Yes Daniel you can help me. I just want to know why you aren’t talking to me?" he snapped as I looked at everything but him.

"Look Steven there’s nothing to say that hasn’t been said before" I said as I motioned for him to move so I could get in my car. He didn’t budge as he continued to talk.

"Really Agger. This is how you react after everything I’ve done for you?" he said angrily. I looked at him in shock.

"Everything you’ve done for me? You mean ruining my life and making me feel like an idiot?" I questioned as he looked embarrassed.

"That wasn’t the intention…" he began explaining but I stopped him.

"Oh really?! Please enlighten me as to what yours and Callie’s intention was when you came up with this plan?" when I mentioned Callie’s name he looked surprised but I continued. "I talked to my parents. They told me everything; including her role in all of this. I mean I’m not surprised that she would do this because she probably wants to hurt me as much as I’ve hurt her. But you? I don’t understand why you would work with her to hurt me. I know you hate Juelz but did you ever think or a second how this would affect me?” I snapped angrily.

"Listen here you" he said angrily as he finger stabbed my chest. "When Callie came up with this plan to find out if that baby was yours, it killed her to keep it a secret from you. But she did it so she could give you a chance to bond with that kid without wondering if he was actually yours. And you want to know why I did this? It’s because contrary to popular belief I actually want to see you happy. I know what Juelz is capable of and I tried to save you from that" he finished off.

I just shrugged my shoulders at his response but internally I felt good knowing that I had such good people looking out for me.

"Whatever man I have to go" I brushed him off as I motioned for him to move out of the way so I could get into my car. Steven did as I asked as I got into the car but before I could close the door he put his hand against it.

"Going home to Juelz?" he taunted.

"Not that it’s any of your business but no. I’m done with her and her drama" I said in the hope that he’d leave now. But not Steven, nothing is over until he says it is.

"Then how come she is still living in your house"

"Because it’s hers now. I signed it over because I don’t need to be living in that house of lies. I may hate her but that boy needs a stable home since he won’t have a father around to watch him grow" I snapped as he looked back in shock.

"Glad to finally see that you’ve finally gotten a back bone" he stated before finally moving his hand and allowing me to the close the door. I quickly put my seat belt on as I started the car and prepared to head over to my parents temporary home.

I got there in 30 minutes and found my mother standing outside with her bags packed while my dad was still locking the door.

"You guys are already set to go?" I said as I stopped the car and walked out of it.

"Yes The General was on time for once in his life" my mother teased as she handed me her bags to put in the boot. I greeted my dad and made small talk as we packed all their bags into the car. Once we were done we walked to the front of the car and got in. We made it onto the main highway safely before my mom spoke again.

"Daniel is everything OK?" she questioned.

"Everything is great Ma" I answered in an unconvincing tone. Her and my dad exchanged glances but didn’t say anything for the rest of the way until we got into the airport.

"Your flight has been delayed by 15 minutes so you’re stuck with me for a little while longer" I teased as I handed them their cups of coffee and sat down in the waiting area.

"I couldn’t think of anything better than being stuck with my favorite son" my mom assured me as she laid her head on my shoulder.

"Ma I’m your only son" I joked as both me and my dad laughed.

"We’re sorry for everything Daniel" my dad said after a few minutes of silence. "We honestly hoped that things would turn out better than this. And I know right now you are still angry but hopefully one day soon you’ll see that we did what we thought was right. One day we hope you can forgive us" he said sadly as he sipped on his liquid drink.

I took a deep breath before answering him.

"Dad I’ve already forgave you, all of you" I emphasized to include even those people who weren’t around. "I know you guys had the best intentions when you did this. I’m just struggling to forgive myself for being such an idiot"

"Oh honey. You were only doing what you thought was best. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to see the best in people" my mom assured me with a warm smile. "Just promise me one thing though" she said as she pulled my face to look at her.

"Anything"

"Promise me you’ll stop beating yourself up over this and actually start living your life again" she instructed as I opened my mouth to say something. "Don’t try to deny it. I know you’ve spent every night in your new apartment drowning your sorrows. Stop pitying yourself and actually start having fun" she said as an announcement was made that her flight was ready to board.

Her and my father then stood up and collected their carry-on luggage while I said my goodbyes.

"We’ll be back for the Torres baby Christening" my mom assured me. "So see you soon. And remember to enjoy your life Daniel and eat something. I don’t want Callie to come back to a man who is half the size she left behind" she said with a wink before quickly turning around and walking away.

I took a deep breath as the realization hit me that in less than 7 weeks Callie would be back. I just wonder if it’s too late for me and her to be together.

*

Fernando’s POV

"You seem very calm" I teased Lisa as she laid on the hospital bed and continued to read her magazine.

"How can I not be? Considering everything we’ve gone through, giving birth is going to be a walk in the park" she shrugged as she continued to flip through her magazine.

After a few more minutes a nurse came in to check on her.

"Well this is a first. A pregnant woman who is fully dilated but is still calm?" she teased as she told Lisa to lie back.

"Your doctor is on his way to deliver the baby but should you need anything I’ll also be here" she assured us as she began to prep for the labor. She gave me a gown to change into as she started giving instructions as to how things would go.

Even though the labor process started out calmly, by the time it was over both Lisa and my hand had gone through 11 hours of excruciating torture.

"And here you go Miss Stevens and Mr. Torres, a beautiful baby girl" the nurse announced as she handed us our daughter.

My hands were practically shaking when I held the little bundle of pink after Lisa handed her to me.

"I think I have a name for her" she said wearily once the room had been vacated.

"Oh yeah. What is it?" I asked without taking my eyes off my daughter.

"Nora. It’s simple but perfect" she explained as I nodded in agreement.

"The perfect name for the perfect child" I thought as I held Nora close and give her tiny face a kiss.

Daddy’s little princess.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...