Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 4 - Different mode of attack

Callie’s POV

A few days had passed since Juelz little rant about how I should stay away from ‘her’ man, and despite her threats I found myself unable to stay away from Daniel.

Not because I was developing romantic feelings for him (which I was definitely not) but because I needed a friend. And despite having Lisa, Juelz and Juan around, I still felt like the odd one out and being with Daniel made me feel special.

Like I was needed.

"Earth to Callie" Daniel called once our waitress’ brought a fresh pot of coffee.

We were sitting in a quiet little cafe on the outskirts of Liverpool, trying to escape the rain that was falling outside as well as catching up.

"Oh sorry… What were you saying?" I asked as I poured myself a cup.

"Nothing that earth shattering, but are you OK? You’ve been on edge for a couple of days now" he questioned as I tried to avoid eye contact.

He was right of course. Because due to Juelz’s thinly veiled threat I was always on alert, worried that she might pop up somewhere to not only hurt me but to also take Daniel away from me.

Not that he was my property, because I have no feelings for him whatsoever, but because I knew that once Juelz got her claws into him she would never let go.

I took a deep breath before attempting to answer his question.

"Actually there is something wrong" I admitted as he nodded his head, encouraging me to carry on.

"A couple of days ago Juelz…"

I began but was interrupted but someone calling my name.

"Callie" the blonde said as she walked up to the table we were occupying.

"Juelz" I breathed out. Shocked to see her standing in front of me. "What are you doing here?"

"Oh I was in the area" she said sweetly as she flipped her hair and turned to Daniel.

"Hey handsome" she greeted him with a flirtatious smile.

"Hey" he answered without looking her in the eye.

"You guys don’t mind if I join you?" she asked, pulling up the chair next to him, before I had time to object. "The weather is horrendous outside and I need a big strong something to keep me warm" she said seductively to Daniel, while brushing his arm.

He reacted by chocking on his coffee.

"I’m sorry about that" he apologized as he pulled himself together.

"Oh it’s okay" Juelz replied first "Some men just can’t handle hot things but I bet you’re the expectation" she continued to flirt and I felt slightly uncomfortable.

Before he could reply to her shameless sentence I spoke.

"Juelz you mentioned that you were in the area. Where exactly where you because this cafe is pretty much located in the middle of nowhere?" I asked, knowing very well that she probably followed us here.

"Oh Callie you ask to many questions. Isn’t it more important that am I here, with you? "

I whispered a no, before I took another sip of my coffee.

"So Daniel" she purred as she got a little too close to his face "Your football club is having a little charity gala in a few days no? I was wondering if you’d be my date. I mean it would make everything easier since I had already planned to be there" she reasoned as he pulled away from her.

"Uhm actually- I was hoping to go with Callie" he answered as he looked at me.

Juelz gave me a threatening look but he continued to speak.

"It’s in a couple of days and I know its short notice but I’d love it if you could accompany me?" he asked as a smile broke out.

I opened and close my mouth a few times in an attempt to find an answer to his question.

"I’m sorry I can’t" I replied as his face fell but Juelz’s lit up. "I’m working the night shift at the hospital for the next couple of weeks"

"Oh I see" he answered as he turned to Juelz. "Well I guess you get what you want Juelz. I’d love to go to the gala with you" he told her as he put on, what I assumed was, a fake smile.

"Oh this is great" Juelz said as she clapped her hands excitedly "I promise I’ll make it a night you won’t forget" she announced before calling a waitress over.

I had no doubt in my mind that Juelz planned to keep that promise.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...