Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 8: A connection and a break

Lisa's POV

"So Juan couldn’t make it?" Juelz asked as we took our seats in Daniel’s VIP box ahead of the Merseyside derby.

"Yeah, he got called in for some emergency IT work" I informed her as I watched Callie bring over our drinks.

"Here you go" she said as she gave them out.

"You know that have servers for that?" Juelz snapped as Callie gave her a look.

She opened her mouth to say something but I stopped her.

"Juelz, why aren’t you sitting with the other players wives?"

"Because the only plastic I like to be around is a credit card" she answered as she sipped on her champagne.

Callie and I exchanged looks before a blonde man walked into the room.

"Ugh what’s he doing here?" Juelz sneered before she plastered a fake smile and greeted the man.

"Hello Fernando"

"Juelz" he acknowledged her but without actually looking at her.

The man then went on to greet me and Callie before taking a seat next right in front of me.

"Aren’t you supposed to be playing?" Juelz asked as Fernando sat watching the warm up.

"I have a groin injury. I’m sure you know all about those, having caused quite a few in your time" he snapped back as I tried to hold a giggle.

Juelz merely swore back at him before asking to be excused.

"Excuse my rudeness, I don’t usually say such words to a lady" he apologized once Julez had left.

"There’s no need to apologize. Juelz has a way of pushing people’s buttons" I said as he nodded his head.

"So what buttons would I have to push to get you to go out with me?" he asked and I laughed.

"You don’t want to know the answer to that" I informed him as I gently brushed his arm.

"Oh I think I do" he flirted back as he stood up from his seat and occupied the one next to mine.

~

Callie’s POV

I watched as Fernando and Lisa flirted with each other. They had somehow forgotten I was there as they giggled and joked together.

Normally I would have scolded Lisa for her behaviour, considering she had a boyfriend. But lately Juan had become distant and cold so seeing her laughing made me happy.

Juelz had also made it back into the VIP box after her earlier tantrum but rather than sit with us during the game, she choose to go sit in the corner where she spent much of the game chatting on her phone.

The game itself was very entertaining. Not in regards to the technique on the pitch but more due to the passion shown by both the players and the fans. There were times when the tension on the pitch threatened to spill over, with some of the players going in hard and some dirty play.

Daniel seemed to be having a running battle with an Everton player as every few minutes him and Heitinga seemed to be involved in a little fracas.

"Shit" Lisa cussed as she kept her eyes glued to the action down the pitch.

There was a whole lot of pushing and shoving and from where we were we could see a player in red lying on the floor clutching his leg. I couldn’t figure out who it was but the injury seemed serious as the medical crew was summoned on the pitch. The fans that were nearest to the action seemed to wince as they looked at the player lying on the floor. Despite not seeing who the injured player was, I saw Heitinga walk off after receiving a red card.

"Oh my gosh" Lisa spoke again as she looked at Juelz, who was still on the phone, oblivious to happenings around her.

"Lisa who’s the player on the ground?" I asked as I slowly started to register that I couldn’t spot a Liverpool player with the number 5 on his back.

"It’s gonna be fine. It’s gonna be fine" she kept on repeating as she gripped my shoulder.

I took a deep breath as I watched the paramedics strap someone onto a gurney and walk him off the pitch. The fans all applauded his departure while I continued to search the pitch for any sign of Daniel.

When the assistant referee put up the board to signal a change for Liverpool, my heart sank.

Daniel was the player who had been injured.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...