Status: On-going

Better in Time

Chapter 9 - Why me?

Callie’s POV

"How you feeling?" I asked Daniel as he slowly began to wake up after his surgery.

He kept quiet for a few seconds before answering me.

"Like someone who has just had knee surgery" he joked as I gave him a fake smile. "It’s a joke Cal you’re allowed to laugh"

I nodded my head at this before I looked down at my shoes.

Daniel cleared his throat before speaking again.

"Where’s Juelz?"

"Uhm she’s outside. There’s a whole bunch of press lined up out there so she’s giving them an update on your condition" I informed him as I watched him take a deep breath.

"She didn’t think to check on me first before speaking to the press?" I asked angrily.

I opened my mouth in an attempt to defend her but no words came out.

"Save it Callie. This is what life is like with Juelz. She only cares about herself" he snapped as I rubbed my neck awkwardly.

"Daniel you’re up" Dr. Coleman noted as he walked into the room.

Daniel gave a confused look as he looked to me for help.

"He was the Dr. who operated on your knee" I informed him as he nodded his head.

"So what’s the prognosis?" the defender asked as he sat up straight.

Dr. Coleman took a deep breath as he took a seat next to him.

"There was some significant damaged to your left knee. While I won’t get into details about what the surgery involved I can tell you that you will be able to play football again"

"That’s great" I squeaked excitedly. Daniel however didn’t seem to have the same excitement.

"That was the good news so tell me the bad"

"You’re one smart guy" Dr. Coleman observed before answering his question. "It will take quite a while for your knee to heal fully. So I expect you to be out of action for between 4 to 6 months" the doctor admitted as Daniel’s jaw dropped.

"I know it sounds bad but we have the best doctors to take care of you while your club has pledged to do all they can to get you back on the field" the doctor continued. "You should recover in no time"

Daniel snorted at that comment.

"Well I’ll leave you two alone" Dr. Coleman said before walking out.

"Daniel I’m so…" I began before he put up his hand up to stop me.

"Save it Callie. I don’t need your sympathy. Could you just find Juelz I need to see her" he snapped before turning sideways and laying down on the bed.

I wanted to snap at him for treating me like some messenger but I took the weak way out as I collected my bag and headed out of the room.

~

Juelz POV

"Does this mean you and Daniel won’t make it to your Glamour magazine cover launch?" I tabloid journalist asked as I continued to field questions about Daniel’s injury.

"Oh don’t be silly. Just because he suffered a minor injury it doesn’t mean Daniel will stop fulfilling his social engagements" I informed her as I flipped my hair to make sure a photographer got yet another good picture of me.

I turned to the side, to make sure another good picture was taken, only to see an exhausted Callie waving me over.

I took an annoyed huff before excusing myself from the waiting press.

"What?" I snapped at her once I was back in the hospital.

"Daniel wants to see you" she stated before taking one last look at me and walking towards the exit.

Gosh she’s annoying I thought to myself as I made my way to Daniel’s room. I had to put on my best girlfriend face as I prepared to listen to him tell me all about his stupid injury.

"Baby" I purred as I walked into his room.

He gave me one look before turning back to looking out the window.

"How you feeling?" I questioned as I walked up to his bed and sat on the bed.

"How do you think I’m feeling? I just found out I won’t be able to play football for the next six months and rather than my girlfriend being here to support me I find out that she’s outside talking to the media" he snapped.

"They were just worried about you. I just wanted to make sure no one was releasing the wrong information" I assured him while rubbing his arm.

He shook his head as if disagreeing with my answer.

"Some days I think you’re only with me because of the fame that comes with dating a footballer" he mentioned after a few minutes of silence.

"No that isn’t true" I began to cry as I pulled his face towards mine "I love you for you. The fame is just a bonus of being with you" I told him as a small smile spread on my lips.

Daniel pulled his face away from mine before releasing a deep breath.

"I’m glad that you need a bonus in order to keep on dating me" he snapped before lying back down on the bed.

"Wait…"

"Forget it Juelz. Just leave. I wanna be alone" he yelled at me before closing his eyes.

I did as he said as I stood up and walked out of his room.

As walked out the building I began to wonder whether my boyfriend was beginning to see through all my scheming. If he was I would have to make sure I gave him enough love and dedication to make sure he doesn’t ever leave me.
♠ ♠ ♠
To be continued...