Status: Active

Burn

[Chapter Sixteen]

Image


I woke up comfortably warm due to John's limbs tangled with mine beneath the covers. He had his arm draped loosely over my middle as he slept peacefully beside me. His mouth was slightly ajar and his eyebrows were drawn together in concentration as he dreamed, making me smile. It was just getting daylight outside, which was causing the room to slowly start lighting up as the dull, blue tones of the night faded away. My phone starting buzzing on the night stand beside the bed and I reached over John to snatch it up and answer quickly. "Hello?"

"Viola! It's Mr. Clancy, I hope I didn't wake you."

I sat up quickly in bed, untangling myself from John and waking him. He blinked sleepily at me and frowned and I stuck my tongue out in return.

"Oh, no sir, you didn't. I actually just woke up." I smoothed down my hair as if he could see me, struggling to make my voice sound perkier than normal.

"That's good." He paused and I heard some papers shuffle in the background. "I was just calling to check up on you. Are the boys of The Maine treating you well?" he chuckled.

I looked down nervously at John in bed beside me as my cheeks turned pink. He wriggled his eyebrows at me playfully, whispering, "I'd say so."

I shushed him and stifled a giggle. "They are very welcoming. It's been a blast working with them, honestly. I'm sad that time is flying by so fast."

"Indeed it is." he agreed. "Are you getting a lot of information as you help them? Remember your article will be due soon after you return so that it can be included in the next issue."

"Yes, sir. I am--I'm trying my best--" I was cut off my the shrill ringing in my ear. "Oh, Viola, that's a phone call I've been waiting on. I'll talk to you soon!"

"Oh, um goodbye!" I answered, just before the phone went silent in my ear. I put it back on the table beside the bed and looked at John, who was resting comfortably beside me with his hands behind his head. I laid down on my side, propped up by my elbow and took in his appearance. His white t-shirt was wrinkled from sleep and rose up a little further as he stretched, making my eyes wander to the Roman numeral tattoo on his stomach.

"Viola Grey, last time you checked me out like this, we ended up pillow fighting on the bed. And then I made you all hot and bothered." he teased, grinning at me. I glanced away as my face flushed, reliving the memory over in my head. He switched positions to mimicking me on the bed so that he too was propped up by his elbow, and gazed down at me.

He reached out to smooth back my hair, which didn't do much for it since it was in its wild, morning state. "I like your bed-head, Viola Grey." he said, smiling as he leaned down to capture my lips with a soft kiss. I placed a hand on his face, absentmindedly rubbing the little bits of stubble that were growing along his jaw and cheek as he kissed me.

A low sound came from the back of John's throat and he wrapped his arm around me, gripping my waist and pulling me against him. His mouth picked up pace against mine--the soft kisses turning to more feverish ones. I fell back so that John was hovering over me, kissing me as his hand traced the waistband of my pajama shorts.

The way he was kissing me--the way his mouth felt on mine--I couldn't think of anything else. I was almost positive that I couldn't even think of what my full name was. His presence was so intoxicating, I was sure it was not healthy the way his touch made me feel.

His hand slipped and I gasped as his thumb ran over the curve of my hipbone that jutted out. His mouth paused on mine momentarily as he accessed what he'd done before he grabbed me, flipping us so that I was straddling him now. He placed his hands on either side of my hips, gazing up at me impassively as I struggled to clear my still-foggy head.

I realized he flipped us to give me the option to continue, and the blank look on his face was because he'd been afraid he went too far. His eyes searched mine cautiously, looking for some expression on my face that gave away how I was feeling. I didn't give him one but I leaned down, coming off his lap so that I could reconnect our mouths while placing my hands beside John's head.

Instead of allowing me to take control, he sat straight up so that we were chest-to-chest, looking into each other's eyes. Since I was sitting in his lap, I was eye-level with him, and I stared into his beautiful green eyes as I tried to calm the fire that was racing through my body. He glanced down, licking his lips nervously before leaning his head to plant a kiss at the base of my throat. The light contact made me want to groan but I stayed silent as he moved, planting kisses across my chest where the low neckline of my shirt allowed.

As he did his, he slowly moved his hands up my legs, starting at my knees since I was kneeling and moving up to my thighs, over my shorts and to my waist, where he ran his hand along the waist band of my shorts again. He toyed with the hem of my shirt and looked up at me through his eyelashes, asking for permission.

I nodded breathlessly and lifted up my arms as John tugged my shirt over my head. Goosebumps erupted all over my chest and stomach as the cool air hit my skin, mixed with the nervousness of John taking in my upper body. I was suddenly thankful the bra I was wearing was semi-nice.

My eyes didn't move from John's face as his eyes roamed my body, instantly flickering to the tattoo that crept up my side. Without saying anything, he touched right up under my boob where it started, and drug his finger all the way down to where it disappeared into my shorts, eliciting a delicious shiver from me.

"You are so damn beautiful." he murmured, smiling at me as he focused back on my face, placing his lips on mine for another soft kiss.

I flushed, shaking my head and grabbing the bottom of his white t-shirt. "It's your turn." I mumbled as I pulled it up and over his head. My eyes widened as I took in the many tattoos that covered his chest, arms and sides.

He grinned as my eyes gazed over the lyrics etched across his chest. "Yeah, that little shit is what I passed out on."

A smile tugged at the edge of my mouth. I jumped suddenly as three harsh raps came at John's door and I snatched my shirt up quickly. I went to move off John's lap but he grabbed my hips, holding me in place with a mischievous grin on his mouth. "Yeah?" he called out.

"H-hey." Pat's small voice came through the door. "Brendan wants to get an early start today so that we can try to get a bunch done. He wants us ready to rock in an hour."

"Alright, I'll be ready." John answered. He waited until he heard Pat hopping back downstairs before he laughed, showing both rows of teeth. "Busted."

I rolled my eyes as I yanked my shirt back on, feeling my face heat up as I realized what had just happened. What was I thinking? I scolded myself as I moved off of John and went over to my side of the room.

Great, so I kiss John for the first time the night before and the next day he sees me shirtless?

"Hey, hey, hey." John said, rushing over and grabbing my hand, pulling me off the air mattress and against him. He circled his arms around my waist and placed his forehead against mine, looking into my eyes. "Stop thinking about stuff so hard."

My mouth dropped open, and I pushed away from him only to have him pull me back. "Wha--how did you even--?" I sputtered, trying to form a complete thought.

"I might know you better than you think I do. Viola Grey." he chuckled. "Plus, you got those wrinkle lines in your forehead."

I shook my head, casting my eyes downward, but he tilted my chin back up with his hand. "Hey. I like you." he said simply. I smiled a little then, and he kissed my forehead softly, releasing me.

"I'm gonna go take a shower...see you downstairs?" he asked, giving me a lopsided grin. I nodded and he disappeared out the door after grabbing a change of clothes from his dresser.

-----------------


I grabbed a granola bar from the pantry and a water before trekking downstairs to the basement. I was the first one ready--which wasn't unusual--so I relaxed on the couch and pulled out my phone to busy myself. There wasn't going to be much to film today, as they were going to be discussing the physical elements of the album--like the cover and the order of the songs. I'd bought my camera down anyways, just in case there was a good moment for pictures.

I opened a group text from Callie and Rose, sent to me just a few moments ago.

Rose: How's John?

Me: He's good. His face isn't as swollen, but it's still kind of purple. How's Caleb?

Callie: We actually haven't heard anything from him...

Rose: Joel did tell me that the car ride back he was extremely quiet...what did you say to him?

My thumbs paused over the keyboard, remembering the scene from last night. Caleb had tried to confess his "feelings" for me, but I didn't want to head it. I was completely done with dealing with all the trouble he was causing. I did feel the slightest twinge of guilt though...Caleb was right--we were something.

WERE, I reminded myself. He was becoming someone I didn't know, and I couldn't be the same with him if he wasn't the person I knew him as.

Rose: Hello?

Me: Well...he tried to tell me he loved me.
And I basically told him that was bullshit.


Rose: Jesus, Vi. Way to step all over his heart.

Me: He stepped all over mine! That little incident last night could have cost me my job!

Callie:...Your job or your friendship with John?

I groaned outwardly just as John came into the room. He raised an eyebrow at me and paused, standing in the doorway. "If you don't want me in here, just say so." he teased, giving me a grin.

"No, it's not you." I muttered as I typed out a response.

Me: Oh my god. Are you guys with me or against me?

Rose: I'm totally with you. I just don't know if your friendship with Caleb will ever be the same after this, Vi. You need to think about that.

Callie: Are you gonna tell us what's going on with you and John? Did you see that Instagram post last night?

She sent a screenshot of the comments below the picture, which were climbing into the thousands.

It's a good thing he removed the tag, the comment section is getting nasty.

Me: Nasty?! Hold on, I need to go see.

I quickly pulled up Instagram and clicked on John's page. My stomach twisted into a knot as my eyes flickered across the screen, scrolling quickly though the growing number of comments that were popping up every couple of seconds. "Oh my god." I murmured in awe.

"What's going on?" John asked, all hint of playfulness drained out of his voice. He sat beside me, bumping his shoulder against mine. "Viola Grey, tell me."

Themainefan8123: Who is this girl? And why is she all over John?

_loveisJohnn: Are they dating or something?

Gooodloveee_: Supposedly she's been with the maine during the recording of forever halloween...I don't like this.

_Flowerchild_: Ugh, don't John. Your girlfriend was supposed to be like drop dead gorgeous

My stomach tightened with every comment I scrolled past, with each one seeming to get worse than the last. Although most were still just fans commenting on how cute John looked in the picture, the others focused on me and pointing out every flaw that they possibly could. I looked up at John with a panicked expression on my face and he snatched my phone out of my hand.

"What? What are you looking at!" he exclaimed as he began to read the comments. His face fell as he shook his head vigorously, clicking off of the app and shoving my phone in his pocket. "No, no, no."

"Did you see what people were saying about me?" I almost shrieked, reaching for my phone. He jumped off of the couch, eyeing me wearily and moving to the other side of the studio.

"You're not getting this back until we are done." he said stubbornly, crossing his arms. "Stop getting so worked up."

"Worked up? Worked up?" I questioned in disbelief. "John, fans are talking about me and they don't even know me! Take me off of your Instagram. I don't want to be a part of all this."

John's face blanked and he rushed over to me, taking my hands in his. His brow furrowed anxiously and he spoke to me in a tense, pleading voice. "Whoa, what do you mean you don't want to be a part of this? Viola Grey, it's only been one day, please..." he trailed off, running a hand through his hair.

"I just mean--" I backtracked, trying to clear my head. "John, I don't know if I can--"

We both looked towards the stairs as the rest of the band began climbing down them. "We can talk about his later." he murmured, bending down to kiss my lips briefly just as Garrett reached the bottom stair.

He clapped his hands once. "It's time to get to work!"

---------------


"If you give me my phone back, I'll make you lunch." I said, raising my eyebrows hopefully. John contemplated it for a moment before asking, "Anything I want?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, yeah." I complied impatiently. "Now give me my phone!"

He pulled it out of his pocket and laid it in my outstretched hand. "We have to talk about this." he said lowly.

John was seated at the piano currently, playing random chords as the boys discussed the possible song order of the album behind him. I leaned on the piano, resting my head on my hands and watching him play. "Then talk."

"Fans are gonna talk, it's what they do. You can't let it get to you--they're just kids, Viola Grey. Do you think I've gotten all positive comments during my career?" he looked up at me, continuing to pluck out notes.

I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Well I haven't."

"John this is totally different, I didn't know what I was signing up for! I didn't know all of this came with--" I trailed off as his expression turned to one of hurt. "What--so now you want out? It's a little late for that." he responded sourly.

"No, that's not what I'm saying!" I said, exasperated.

"John," Pat called out. "What do you think about opening with Take What You Can Carry?"

"That could work." John replied, turning around on the piano chair to face them. "But then what would go in its place--wasn't it originally further down on the list?"

While they launched into discussion about the replacement song, John turned back to me. "So I'm thinking about a sandwich. A sandwich that only Viola Grey can make."

I giggled, shaking my head at him. "Work first,then you can eat."

"I can have fun then, too?"

"You're always having fun! Your entire life is fun!" I insisted.

"It's even more fun now that you're a part of it." he murmured, smiling brightly at me and making my stomach flip-flop. My mind drifted to that morning's episode and I flushed, looking down at the piano to break away from his gaze.

"Yeah, I was thinking about that, too." he said lowly and my head snapped back up. Once again, he knew exactly what I was thinking just through my facial expression. How did he keep doing that?!
♠ ♠ ♠
This took so long and I have no idea why.
Thank you so much for reading and commented and subscribing while I was away, it means a lot.
P.S. What do you guys think about John and Viola's relationship?
-L :)