Status: cool

Jack Frost

My Frostbite Heart

Ever since he was able to comprehend what was going on around him, winter had always been Jack’s favourite season. It was simple really; he’d have no one constantly questioning his body temperature, it made sense for him to wear thick jackets all the time, and he just plainly felt like he fit in. Winter was a calm time for Jack, free of stress and worries, unlike how it was for most regular folk.

One winter, at age ten, Jack was enjoying some alone time at recess. Even in his elementary years, the boy had undergone tremendous amounts of ridicule, which wouldn’t have been so bad if he hadn’t had so much pressure on his back, as well. The young boy seemed to be turning into his old man more and more each day, although he was just a fraction of his age. That’s why, when the snow began to fall, Jack felt more secure. He could stop worrying about his ‘freezing hands’ and that ‘stupid stripe’ in his hair, although the blond patch stayed there all year. It wasn’t that his problems disappeared in the winter, definitely not. It was the fact that he felt at home which helped him to get through his days, and which let him be a kid.

This is why Jack was completely startled when his peace and quiet in the corner of the school grounds had been interrupted on that one morning. He was so lost in his own world, he barely noticed the other boy taking a seat next to him.

“I’m Zack! Hi,” the stranger spoke, and Jack turned his head to examine the boy that had decided to greet him.

The other ten year old was much less skinnier than Jack, and sported lighter brown hair, as opposed to Jack’s raven locks. Zack’s eyes were also a bright green, a contrast to his new acquaintance's dark ones.

“Hi,” Jack replied with a small smile, before realizing that it’d also be polite to state his name, as well. “My name’s Jack.”

“I know your name, silly,” Zack giggled, to Jack’s surprise. The smaller boy knew that other kids would sometimes whisper about him, but he had no idea that anyone, especially kids that were definitely not in his class, knew his name.

“How?” Jack questioned, rather suspicious about his neighbour’s motives.

“Everyone does! Most people do because they think you’re really weird,” Zack babbled, earning a quite saddening hurt look from Jack, “Or at least that’s what they say. I think they’re just jealous, because you seem really great. I mean, your hair looks cool, so they’re definitely wrong.” Zack finished, final words working their way into Jack’s ears and turning his sad eyes into hopeful ones.

“Well, thanks, I guess.” Jack shrugged, turning his attention back to the snowball he was packing.

“How come you’re always an ice cube?” Zack asked, earning Jack’s attention once again. All of his questions may have seemed rude to the average person, but his immature delivery mixed with Jack’s childish perception served for a pretty normal conversation between the two.

“I, um-” Jack tried, unsure of what to say. He’d never discussed it with his father, as they didn’t think he’d need to for a while. “I’m from Antarctica,” Jack smiled triumphantly, proud with the answer he had come up with.

Instead of an impressed look from Zack, though, Jack was met with a quizzical one.

‘That’s impossible,” Zack countered, “There’s polar bears there! You’d get eaten!”

“Actually, that’s the Arctic.” Jack stated matter of factly, “The Antarctic is full of people. And penguins,”

“Well, okay then.” Zack accepted, face breaking out into a smile once more. “Want to be friends?”

“Sure!” Jack chirped in reply.

That marked an important day for the two boys. Not that it was their only important day, though. Jack and Zack continued to live and play side by side, all the way through elementary school and into middle school. They dealt with awkwardly growing up and experiences new things from middle school to high school, and did a bunch more growing and up and new things as they left high school together, still side by side. The pair had made other friends on their journey, but no one was as important to either of them as the other was. They were best friends, inseparable since they met.

Zack was there for Jack when his father passed, and for his first crush. Obviously, this meant that he had been there when Jack came out, too. He’d been there for his best friend’s first A on a test, and for his first fail. Zack had witnessed Jack’s interests grow, as well as his body. He was also there to listen after Jack’s first date, so obviously it’d make sense that Zack was the first person Jack had told about his… condition, at age fifteen.

Initially, Zack had been too shocked to speak. He’d needed a moment, of course, as would anyone. Never once did he doubt the words coming from Jack’s mouth, though. This was proved when he was wrapping his slightly younger friend in a hug, promising that he’d help him through it all. If anything, Jack’s confession had only made their friendship stronger.

Zack had been there when Jack had first met Alex, too. He’d noticed the way his friend’s eyes sparkled, and how open his heart seemed after twenty years of a particularly dark life. Zack was more than happy for his friend, he was ecstatic. He didn’t mind listening about how Alex had the ‘prettiest brown eyes,’ or how ‘Alex was the only thing on his mind,’ although that was very, very obvious. Seeing Jack happy made it all worth it.

“Zack! Guess what!” Jack called out, coming into their apartment quickly, and closing the door behind him.

“What’s up, pal?” Zack asked from in the kitchen.

“I kissed him! It was great and he didn’t pull away and he kissed back! I think we’re dating now!” Jack rambled, his smile being reflected onto Zack’s face.

“Sounds great,” Zack laughed, “I’m happy for you.”

Of course, Zack was there for the rest of Jack’s relationship with Alex. He was quite fond of the boy, and was glad that Jack had found him. Although he’d been supporting Jack through his crazy ordeal with Alex, Zack had also been busy with own relationships, too. He’d fallen in love along with his friend, and wasn’t far behind when it came to everything else. Zack was by Jack’s side more than he’d ever been, and was glad to be there when Jack married Alex, as well as when the couple started their own family. And, of course, vice versa.
♠ ♠ ♠
i really liked jack and zack's friendship and i wanted to build on it so here is this

also reminder that i have started Lady and the Tramp II and there will be a new update this weekend!!

THX for reading LUV you guys :-)